Back to the ship in time?

tamarara65

NCL states that disembarking starts 2hrs after docking and that you should be back at the ship 2hrs before the ship is scheduled to leave... Does any one find that to be exactly true-is getting back 1hr before leaving ok? And does it really take 2hrs after docking before they let you off the ship?

NCL states that disembarking starts 2hrs after docking and that you should be back at the ship 2hrs before the ship is scheduled to leave... Does any one find that to be exactly true-is getting back 1hr before leaving ok? And does it really take 2hrs after docking before they let you off the ship?

Disembarking 2 hrs after the ship has been released by the port of call authorities will depend on what time the ship actually arrives in port - this will vary depending on the port your are in - listen to the announcements each morning you have a port day and you will probably find it does come close to the 2 hours - but sometimes less.

As for being back on the ship 2 hrs prior to leaving port - you will find that the ship's Daily Freestyle will state what time the all aboard is - and that is when you should be back on the ship - don't chance being late, unless you want to pay to get to the next port. I've always found that the all aboard time is usually 1 hour prior to the ship sailing - but it is port sensitive.

The 2 hour rule you mentioned applies to port of embarkation and disembarkation, not to ports of call.

After the lines are secured, the local autorities must clear the ship, and this often happens within 30 minutes of arrival.

You must typically be back on the ship 30 minutes prior to scheduled sail time.

I really wish NCL would better clarify their documentation.... we get this exact question a lot on here and it is due to NCL's lame clarification.

The law requires that all passengers be on board the ship 2 hours before departure from the embarkation port. (New York, Miami, LA, Seattle, etc.)

It also means that dismebarkation generally begins 2 hours after arrival in the final disembarkation port. (again, see list above.)

In the ports, you generally do not have to be back on the ship until 30 minutes prior to the departure time. (earlier if it is a tender port)

Disembarkation in the ports can begin anywhere from 30-90 minutes after arrival... but generally it is 30 minutes after arrival.

NCL lumps together two things which are completely different.

Thanks DAGVBSB! Very useful information. We'll be on the SKY on 8/4 and I've been wondering about this for a few days now since it's our first cruise. I was thinking with every day 2hrs before you can get off at port and 2 hrs before departure that you have to get back makes shore excursions seem like you have to rush through it. Thanks for clearing it up.

Thanks DAGVBSB! Very useful information. We'll be on the SKY on 8/4 and I've been wondering about this for a few days now since it's our first cruise. I was thinking with every day 2hrs before you can get off at port and 2 hrs before departure that you have to get back makes shore excursions seem like you have to rush through it. Thanks for clearing it up.

actually what the law reguire(its a regulation but it has the force of law) is that the cruise line MUST transmit the final passenger manifest 1 hour before the ship sails(you will sometimes see a delayed sailing to accommodate this rule). The 2 hour rule is what the cruise lines say so that they can format and send the required info to Homeland Security. As long as you are checked in most cruise lines are actually enforcing a one hour rule on boarding...this is only required at the initial port....

Archived