I would love to see

RCCL expand into the Great Lakes. I know they may have to build a new ship to meet the size regulations. But I would love to be able to cruise from my own state of ohio to other states. I know there are other lines that have ships but RCCL is always a touch above. I'm not sure if they have a ship in their fleet that meets the size requirements or not but that would be so BOSS if they could make it happen.

I live in beautiful Duluth, Minnesota, at the terminus of the Great Lakes, at the very snout of the wolf that is Lake Superior. I would LOVE to travel the Great Lakes on a cruise ship - and foreign vessels do come to Duluth a few times a year (from Germany, say) so it can be done. (I'm guessing the ships are smaller than megaliners, however.)

Duluth would make a very cool stop (skiing, historic downtown, fun shops, gorgeous green space, great restaurants) as would Grand Marais (arts community, dog sledding, and so on), places on the UP of Michigan, and on and on east.

Maybe someday...!

The MS Columbus from Hapag Lloyd (German Cruise Line) is doing cruises on the Great Lakes. As far as I know it´s the only cruise ship that is able to sail the Great Lakes. The MS Columbus is specially built to meet the lock size for the great Lakes.

193777_columbus_gross.jpg

She has a passenger capacity of 420 on 6 Decks and was built in 1997.

You can find more info at Hapag Lloyd (Site is avail. in English too.)

Yes, the Columbus does go into the great lakes - but it is very pricey (read expensive).

Somebody should pick up those almost brand new coastal steamers from the defunct Delta lines that were advertised a couple of years ago. I think they were tied into the steamboat operation on the Mississippi, and the Patriot (ex HAL ship Niew Amsterdam?) in Hawaiin waters.

They would fit through the locks with ease.

I am from Michigan and would love it also. I did see this other ship go thru the locs and in the great lakes on one of my other vacations. Was a wonderful site. But as to the price it is very very expensive. We looked into and decided to spend the money and travel elsewhere.

I am also on Lake Ontario in Rochester and this summer we had a beautiful ship come in...La Levant. It was a ship that was traveling from Chicago to Quebec and carried about 100 passengers. It looked like something that you would see in the inter-coastal in Lauderdale. I would love to see more of this in the future. As far as our "Fast Ferry" - Godspeed.

What a good idea! We live in Chicago, and I'm sure there are tons of interesting things to see and do around the Great Lakes. Cruising would be great, because we wouldn't have to pack and unpack every day, plus we could relax and not drive.

I'm going to check out that German one that was mentioned. Even if it is a little expensive, there is no airfare to pay for.

Thanks for thinking of this!!

Barbara

I live on the Welland Canal, well not right ON the canal but one block over. I can watch the ships going through Lock 7 from our bedroom window.

There have been 3 different cruise ships going through the canal this year. The Le Levant is one as is the other one mentioned. There is a third one whose name excapes me at the moment.

I remember when the Le Levant came up for the first time. They weren't prepared for tourists getting on and off the ship. It was a hoot to watch people climbing up and down ladders!!!!!

Now they have buses pick people up at Lock 1 and return them at Lock 7 later in the day. They can do Niagara Falls and the wineries or whatever else they would like.

The Columbus went down the other day on it's last voyage for this year. The last time, we took a walk over to the canal and watched everyone boarding. We only heard English being spoken.

These cruise ships are very small. They hold between 100 and 125 passengers. There are no pools. I don't know about the food, but I'm told it's excellent.

The prices are somewhat outrageous - but I guess that would depend on what you normally pay. The cheapest is over $3,000.00 per person.

Marilyn

Archived