xcaret in cozamel with elderly Mother

tximprov

I looked at the threads posted in this port of call and most questions was about kids. I am taking my 74 yo mother on a cruise Mar 09. I have never been to Xcaret but thought it would be a good relaxing enjoyable day for her. But Im beginning to have second thoughts. DO you have to tender from the island to the mainland? She can walk, but not alot of strength. we will have a wheel chair for her so she doesnt have to stand and walk all the distance, but with there be enough activity inside the park she can participate in. I know she cant do the tubeing and snorkling and such. Just wanted thoughts from others who have been there.

I looked at the threads posted in this port of call and most questions was about kids. I am taking my 74 yo mother on a cruise Mar 09. I have never been to Xcaret but thought it would be a good relaxing enjoyable day for her. But Im beginning to have second thoughts. DO you have to tender from the island to the mainland? She can walk, but not alot of strength. we will have a wheel chair for her so she doesnt have to stand and walk all the distance, but with there be enough activity inside the park she can participate in. I know she cant do the tubeing and snorkling and such. Just wanted thoughts from others who have been there.

I have never down this tour...but I do know the ferry ride to the mainland is 45 minutes one way and it can get bumpy. Then there is the bus ride and I would want to verify that the trails are wheelchair accessible.

The only way I would attempt it would be with a Ship Tour and even then, I would have a long email conversation with specialneeds@carnival.com before booking it. At her age, you don't want any surprises.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and make some great memories!!

We really enjoyed Xcaret. However, it may not be a good choice for someone with mobility problems.

Another thing to consider - we were there in April and it was close to 100 degrees (very hot). It is a little cooler near the water.

Here is the link to my photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=538814

Xcaret is not in Cozumel. It is south of Playa Del Carmen. First a ferry ride

and then bus or taxi. There is a park in Cozumel called Chakanab. Something like that. Might be a little easier to get to. But Xcaret is really a great place.

Lot of walking though.

MOM

Archived