Scenic drives from Portland?

manuelstar

We will be in Portland/Maine on Oct 5th. We have 12 hours in port and I would like to rent a car and do a scenic drive where we can see a lot of the beautiful countryside. I would like to have a whole day tour, a 8 to 9 hours drive.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Do you have a preference with seeing the seacoast, the mountains or a mix? What type of things do you like to see and or do - just wondering so I can give you better suggestions and advice. Do you want to stay with the crowds from the ship and visit Freeport (L.L. Bean) or Kennebunkport (Bush compound) or would you rather get away from that area but see similar. How much driving are you interested in doing vs how much sightseeing and stops along the route?

Do you have a preference with seeing the seacoast, the mountains or a mix? What type of things do you like to see and or do - just wondering so I can give you better suggestions and advice. Do you want to stay with the crowds from the ship and visit Freeport (L.L. Bean) or Kennebunkport (Bush compound) or would you rather get away from that area but see similar. How much driving are you interested in doing vs how much sightseeing and stops along the route?

We would love to see the colour changes of the trees. A mix of mountains and seacost sounds very good. The less tourists from the ship, the better.

The ship will be in port for 12 hours, so with some time to get the car and bring it back, I guess we could do a 9 hours tour and be back in time.

I like driving and my favorite would be a nice route to see the scenic countryside. I love taking pictures, especially of the sea, the trees and flowers. That is the reason, I don`t want to do a ships tour.

Most of the times, they stop at places for shopping (I`m not interested at all) and when there is some great viewing point of a bay, they don`t stop.

So my main interest is about the beautiful countryside.

Thank you for your help.

First the bad news. Being a Sunday visit, unless they change things by the time your ship comes in, you'll have to get a taxi out to the airport to get a rental car (Enterprise's local office is closed on Sunday, so no pick up at the pier). Some suggstions of places to see in the area which should cover your list of things you like to see...

I've figured out a 100 mile loop which will include the following areas. Drop me an email off board and I can give you more specifics to this routing if you're interested.

Two Lights State Park in Cape Elizabeth - beautiful scenic area away from crowds even though it's just a few miles away from Portland Head Light.

Sebago Lake, Maine - go all the way around lake - take one route up and another one back. Beautiful scenic drive through villages, towns and suburbs. Should give you plenty of sights of trees, countryside.

all one word: tour guide 101 at hotmail dot com

• 2 weeks later...

I was also going to suggest Sebago, in the Western Lakes region. We spend time in Bridgton, on Moose Pond, and love it. Another option is eating lobster in the rough at Chauncy Creek, near Kittery Point. Check to see when they close.

• 3 weeks later...
I was also going to suggest Sebago, in the Western Lakes region. We spend time in Bridgton, on Moose Pond, and love it. Another option is eating lobster in the rough at Chauncy Creek, near Kittery Point. Check to see when they close.

I agree that driving west on 302 would be an amazing sightseeing trip. One of my favorite spots is the causeway on Moose Pond in Bridgton (route 302). However, I do need to warn you that the Fryeburg Fair (one town west of Bridgton) will be open. I can not begin to tell you how much traffic will be flowing into and out of Fryeubrg using all routes. It is very common to drive 5 miles in an hour. Traffic will be heavy through Bridgton but should not be too difficult. I would love to recommend you to visit, taking the tour that rhondakap suggest and then driving into Fryeburg. If you are up for a short (very short) but steep near the top hike then I suggest climbing Jockey Cap. The view is beathtaking. By the way, Quinn's Store (at the base of Jockey Cap) has some of the best lobster rolls I have eaten (and I am a Maine girl!!). However, getting into the western Maine area will be tough that weekend.

Archived