Pre-cruise hotel for POA

janesm

We are coming into Honolulu one day early and would really like to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Would it be a better choice to stay at the Marriott because of the NCL Service Desk? How do you and your luggage get to the ship if you stay at the Hilton vs. the Marriott? Is it beneficial (cheaper and/or easier transfers) to book through NCL rather than through the hotel itself? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi. We're just back from the 10/3-10/10 cruise. We booked thru NCL in the Marriot because of the pre-cruise check in and transfers. I know you can book thru NCL into other hotels, but don't know how they handle the cruise check in. My experience was the Marriot is not only beautiful and literally right across the street from Waikiki Beach, but checking into the cruise at the hotel was wonderful. Essentially, NCL met us at the airport; took us to get lugguge and onto a transfer to the hotel (other tours use the same shuttle service, so you are not the only group or hotel that is being transfered - took us 40 minutes to get to our hotel because of other stops). Once at the hotel, check in was a breeze - lugguge was brought up to our room. Went to the NCL service center downstairs to check into the cruise (did the photo, etc there instead of at the terminal and booked our 1st night restaurant). On the day you cruise, you leave your lugguge inside your hotel room. Around 10:30am, they pick it up and deliver it to the ship for you. You only handle your carry on. At 1pm we assembled in the hotel lobby, got on another shuttle bus to the port and had a separate check in line (took maybe 10 minutes total once we got to the pier). You pick up your room key/charge card for the cruise there, but all your paperwork is done. totally easy and well worth it. The Marriot was gorgeous and in a great location. Breakfast is not included, but they do have restaurants in the hotel and nearby. We paid $99pp and that covered room, tax, bus transfers from airport to hotel and hotel to pier and all lugguge handling. And the room was great! We saw the POA coming in Sunday morning from our room.

Hope that helps.

laura

Thanks, Laura, for the great info! Can anyone describe the baggage handling/check-in experience when staying at a hotel that does not have an NCL service desk, such as the Hilton Hawaiian Village?

I would like to hear more responses to this question. We too booked the Hilton Hawaiian Village but husband wants the Marriot due to NCL desk is located in that hotel. We are constently having a debate over this. I want the HHV and he wants the Marriot due to convince to the ship.

The Hawaiian Hilton is located right on the beach, the Marriot is not. The restaurants are in abondance and also the Hawaii Ent. Book has good discounts for those restaurants. These are things that I have gathered from others. We are lookng foreward to the beach, gardans, waterfall and exoyic wildlife also. We had friends stay there and say it is the best place to be if you do not want to walk or drive a lot for food and beach. We sail in March on the POA and are staying 4 days before and 5 days after at HHV.

Cakewalk

10 other cruises

First Time with NCL 3-6-05

I can't comment on the Marriot, but can assure you no matter what, you can't go wrong staying at the HHV especially if you choose the Rainbow or Tapa tower. This is one of the nicest hotels we have seen and we have seen lots of hotel throughout the world. If you choose to stay there splurg and eat in the Chinesse restaurant near the Rainbow tower. I can't remember the name; I want to say Emerald Garden but thinks that's not correct. It is very pricey, but a meal you will never forget. NMNita

ps; being on the beach is also a plus. There are only a handful of hotels on the beach. Most people do not realize this: on the beach versus across the street is a big difference.

We stayed at the HHV for 3 days before and after our POA cruise in August. We booked this thru NCL (air we did on our own). NCL picked up two bus loads at the HHV around 11:30 am (don't remember exact time). They take your luggage from your room earlier in the morning and bring it directly to the ship. We love the Hilton. Stayed there previously on a land vacation. We used the Entertainment book for the restaurants - Golden Dragon was excellent. You won't be disappointed. Glad to hear that the POA is coming along. There were problems on our 8/15 sailing, but we still had a great time. Have fun!!!

Maryann

I stayed at the HHV the night before my cruise on POA in July. It is a great hotel and I loved it! Because I booked the hotel and air on my own, I didn't bother with the NCL transportation. I checked out of the hotel at 11, and hung out in a lounge, looking at the ocean and reading a book for about an hour. Around noon, I just took a cab to the pier. It cost about $12 for a cab and they are easy to get at the hotel, just tell the porter. At the pier, the cab dropped me and I checked in my bags and got in line for registration. I liked doing things on my own timetable so taking a taxi was a better alternative for me than using NCL transfers. After the cruise I was able to get right in a taxi and was back at the HHV before 10 a.m. I stayed two nights after. Enjoy your trip!

Archived