Review: A 12-day Barcelona/NCL Gem Adventure

CeleBrat

What a helpful review of the GEM. We sail on Sept. 6th. This is our 1st NCL cruise. Previously we've been on HAL and Princess. Your information is invaluable. Thank you.

BTW: We own a small restaurant on South Orange Ave. in Orlando and you're welcome to play cards there.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I just found this thread - and as if I wasn't already excited enough about my virtually-identical trip on the Jade - I am now beyond.

One question I have - you mentioned that you purchased herbs at one of the markets. Were there any problems getting them back into the States? I've been trying to read up on what I can and can't bring back from Europe, as food/wine/etc. are high on my list. The last thing I need is to get busted for trying to bring back some rosemary!

I'll echo what everyone else has said - thank you SO much for this review. It has so much detail that is extremely helpful!

Awww...thanks! I had fun putting the review together. Thanks for reading it, and hopefully you found a few good tips.

We too were a tad bit worries about the herbs as well, but put them in our suitcase and all was well. I would imagine that IF you got stopped and had your suitcase searched, you'd have to do a lot of explaining. But, our herbs were an Italian blend (bought in French, go figure), and you could obviously tell that by smell.

Have fun!

CeleBrat

What a helpful review of the GEM. We sail on Sept. 6th. This is our 1st NCL cruise. Previously we've been on HAL and Princess. Your information is invaluable. Thank you.

BTW: We own a small restaurant on South Orange Ave. in Orlando and you're welcome to play cards there.

Glad the review was helpful. Thanks for the invite to play cards at your restaurant. What's the name of it? We *may* just have to stop by for a visit...

Have fun on your trip.

CeleBrat

• 4 months later...

I just came back and re read you review, to get ideas for Barcelona. We are doing the DCL Dover to Barcelona cruise in July (got to love those CAT12 pricebreaks-this cruise in less expensive than our first 7 day Western now ) but will only have 1 day in Barcelona post cruise, so I do not have a lot of time to explore and there seems like so much to chose from.

How did you like the location of your hotel? I am having a hard time figuring out a good place to be to maximize our day, and also that has triple rooms.

My girls are 7 and 9, what would you say was your kids favorite that they did or saw in Barcelona.

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

CeleBrat

This is the second review I have read of yours. Both had be riveted to my seat, even though it took me a few days off and on to read them. You are an amazing story teller!

Looking forward to reading your review on the MSC ship next!

I just came back and re read you review, to get ideas for Barcelona. We are doing the DCL Dover to Barcelona cruise in July (got to love those CAT12 pricebreaks-this cruise in less expensive than our first 7 day Western now ) but will only have 1 day in Barcelona post cruise, so I do not have a lot of time to explore and there seems like so much to chose from.

How did you like the location of your hotel? I am having a hard time figuring out a good place to be to maximize our day, and also that has triple rooms.

My girls are 7 and 9, what would you say was your kids favorite that they did or saw in Barcelona.

TIA

Lucky you--heading out on a fabulous cruise. Can I go with?

We really enjoyed the location of our hotel as it was just slightly down the street from a HOHO bus stop, as well as the subway. It was a bit of a hike to Las Ramblas, but it made for a good after-dinner walk. And, it was quiet on our street! We also loved the neat rooftop terrace.

Fav things for the kids--

1--Running thru those darn pigeons.

2--Park Guell. We spent a whole afternoon there.

3--Riding on the upper deck of the HOHO buses.

4--The maritime museum

5--The living statues in Las Ramblas

There was also a kids park that we never made it to, with topiary maze and playgrounds. Don't remember the name, but it would be listed in the Barcelona guidebooks.

I recommend you have a good plan when visit, so you don't hem/haw trying to figure out what to do.

Have fun!

CeleBrat

CeleBrat

This is the second review I have read of yours. Both had be riveted to my seat, even though it took me a few days off and on to read them. You are an amazing story teller!

Looking forward to reading your review on the MSC ship next!

Awww....thanks for reading my ramblings.

CeleBrat

• 2 years later...

Archived