Flotation Swimsuit

dream2cruise

My 5 year old nephew has a flotation swimsuit. Does Carnival allow kids in the pool with these suits? When we were at a public pool last weekend, he wasn't allowed in the children's pool as no flotation devices are allowed. We had to buy another suit for him.

Also, would a flotation swimsuit be allowed instead of a life vest on excursions which require life vests? Or should we plan to use the regular swimsuit with a life vest? How about for trips to the beach?

Thanks! I'm not a parent (yet, maybe someday) so I don't know all these rules.

In my experience, most public pools (and the like) will not allow floatation devices at all unless they are coast guard approved. I was sorely disappointed last year as I had bought a very expensive floatation/uv swimsuit from Australia that was over $50 bucks -- that I couldn't even use anywhere... not to mention the pain in the bum for bathroom breaks...

Instead of floatation suits, I would HIGHLY recommend Stern's Puddle Jumper -- it allows full range of motion and is COAST GUARD approved!! It is the best thing I have found for kid's from 30 to 50 pounds -- my son LOVES his. Here is a link and picture:

415vecHjo%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/STEARNS-PUDDLE-JUMPERS-3864-GREEN/dp/B0017Q2NTC/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

Also, if you go to YouTube.com -- and search for puddle jumpers -- there are videos that show them in action. Even the YMCA allows them -- since they are coast guard approved...

HTH!

I can't answer your question directly.

However, as a parent, I have never used any flotation device for my kids. I personally believe it gives them a false sense of security in the water. If a child can't swim, I want them to KNOW they can't swim. That is also a huge incentive for them to learn to swim. I swim with my kids and theoretically try keep them within arms reach until they learn to swim.

5 is a really good age for swim lessons. Beyond that, most other kids that age have learned to swim and they'll be embarassed to go to lessons with the younger kids.

My 5 year old nephew has a flotation swimsuit. Does Carnival allow kids in the pool with these suits? When we were at a public pool last weekend, he wasn't allowed in the children's pool as no flotation devices are allowed. We had to buy another suit for him.

Also, would a flotation swimsuit be allowed instead of a life vest on excursions which require life vests? Or should we plan to use the regular swimsuit with a life vest? How about for trips to the beach?

Thanks! I'm not a parent (yet, maybe someday) so I don't know all these rules.

I can't answer your question about what Carnival allows in their pools or on excursions but having used a floatation swimsuit wth my ds and a regular suit with a coast guard approved life vest, safety wise, there is no comparison. The floatation suit just helped make ds a little more buoyant but a life jacket like this one here will actually keep their heads above water (they use these at our local community center pool for the pre-beginner swimmers that are just getting used to being in the water - these are group classes with 2 instructors and up to 6 kids).

I was intrigued by the puddlejumpers that Noelscat posted. I actually came across it on the leaps&bounds website, and noticed that they have a demo video of it (see here).

I also agree with Nothriver about not using life jackets when you want to teach kids to swim however I take a more pragmatic approach that there are some circumstances where I think it's ok to use one. For instance, we have taken ds into the pool with out any flotation device and played and swam with him, but we also are on vacation and want to enjoy extended periods of time in the pool. The life jacket lets ds swim independently from us (of course we are always in the pool very nearby), and he even got to enjoy the big water slide at our resort on our last trip becuase of the vest. They only allow one person down the slide at a time, and without the vest, he would have sank like a rock at the bottom. Of course, we waited at the bottom for him anyway... Btw, we have had ds in both group and private swim lessons for the last couple of years (off & on, but ON for the last five months, 2x a week... and he still won't hold his breath under water for 5 seconds and do one or two other things needed to go past the pre-beginner stage. He had some other developmental delays so possibly this is just part of that, but if your nephew doesn't learn to swim quickly don't feel bad. And if you find that occasionally using a floatation device helps you have a better vacation, then don't feel bad about that either..:cool: jmho of course!

I don't know Carnival's rules, though I am sure I have seen the arm floaties in the pools. We did go on the Triumph 3 years ago with grandkids 3,4,5 & 5 and they were allowed to use their Speedo swim vests in the pool. We also used these at the beach. The older two could swim fairly well, the younger two not much, but they were very comfortable in the water. I don't know enough about the flotation swimsuits to judge, but they don't look very safe to me. Remember, there are no lifeguards.

As a former life guard, swim instructor and avid swimmer, I have deep reservations about floatation devices that aren't coast guard approved, especially the little floaties, swim tubes, etc. The reason is that SOME parents--not you, I'm sure, but some, tend to rely on these too much. Unfortunately there are people who put their kids in these things and just let them go, with minimal attention.

We live on a lake; It's twenty feet from our back door to the dock into water that is 16 foot deep. We have four grandchildren who live on the lake too, nearby. All the adults are truly excellent swimmers and we are safety conscious on the verge of being paranoid about safety.

No child ever goes in the water without an adult right there. Before they were swimming well, they all wore the Speedo swim vests; (Note, these are not life jackets; they wore regular life jackets when very young, and still do when doing certain things.) We use those because they are very comfortable and yet provide good flotation. As each child becomes a swimmer, they are allowed to swim without the jacket at certain times, when one or more adults are present and attentive. Even wearing the swim vest, no child swims without an adult who can swim nearby.

The kids are now 9,8,6 and 4. The older three are all excellent swimmers and the 4-year-old can now swim at least 20 feet, using the breast stroke and breathing correctly, as well as back stroke and some freestyle, can tread water, float front and back, turn herself around, etc. Just this week she has been allowed to swim without her jacket sometimes, with an adult right beside her in the water. If an adult is there but not swimming, she'll wear her jacket.

Sorry about the diatribe, but swimming safety is so important to me. Teach your kids to swim as soon as possible and be vigilant about safety--without smothering them--a very hard task!

Archived