Self-Service Debarkation

cdrpln

We just did self-debarkation on Saturday coming off the GLory. It was a pain in the ars! We have 5 kids and they were complaining b/c things were heavy.....our two little ones only had a stuffed animal to carry....we were getting irritable, ok I was!! If we did not do this we would had been number 34 to be called....we were on deck one. If it were just hubby and I, then yes I would again.....pack lightly!!!

Take care,

sandi

We just did this Saturday coming off the Liberty and loved it. Family of 4 with my daughters being 8 & 5 . . . we each had a suitcase and my husband pulled two, no big deal at all. We were able to keep our luggage and not have to have it out at 10:30 plus we were able to get off at our own pace. We could have gotten off early but didn't need to so we ate breakfast at 8:30 then headed off the ship. We really liked the process and the flexablity it gave us.

They offered self assist on our last cruise 2 years ago.......and I will never do it any other way again! It was great! We were traveling with our two children ages 9 and 13 and they made out fine with their "rolling" luggage. I highly recommend it!

This is all good information. Because we generally drive to our cruise port, we are happy to get back on the road early. There are only three of us and our teenage son has a strong back and we have well wheeled luggage.

We just did this Saturday coming off the Liberty and loved it. Family of 4 with my daughters being 8 & 5 . . . we each had a suitcase and my husband pulled two, no big deal at all. We were able to keep our luggage and not have to have it out at 10:30 plus we were able to get off at our own pace. We could have gotten off early but didn't need to so we ate breakfast at 8:30 then headed off the ship. We really liked the process and the flexablity it gave us.

i didn't realize you had so much flexibility getting off. that's something to consider

They made an announcement for all passengers who would be doing the "self assist" debarkation to meet at a certain location on the Empress Deck at a certain time......I think it was relatively early....maybe around 8ish? We gathered there with all the other self assist people and then one of the crew members met us there and led us right off the ship! It was literally that easy! This was the Inspiration out of Tampa a couple of years ago...not sure if it's done this way on every ship or at every port but.... after debarking the other way three times......where I have to put my luggage out the night before and then having to go find my luggage piled in heaps inside a warehouse .....it just seemed too good to be true!

then having to go find my luggage piled in heaps inside a warehouse .....it just seemed too good to be true!

wow, i can't believe they just dump your stuff in a pile once the cruise is over and they have your cash . that's rude!!:confused:

I think self assisted debarkation is a clever torture foisted upon the complainers that refuse to understand that it simply takes a bit of time to get 3000 people off a ship.

We drive to 99% of our cruises and would never schedule a flight requiring a high speed trip to the airport. So we lounge on the lido until all are gone. Same at plays, ball games, we relax until everybody gets done with the insane pushing and shoving. Barb's too tiny to be in that mess anyhow.

Dan

then having to go find my luggage piled in heaps inside a warehouse .....it just seemed too good to be true!

wow, i can't believe they just dump your stuff in a pile once the cruise is over and they have your cash . that's rude!!:confused:

Yea that is pretty rude.

What is even worse is that at the end of every cruise they demand that I get off the ship so other people can get on!

I mean really!

I should clarify....i was probably too harsh when I said "heaps"! they actually put your luggage in large "sections" according to the deck your cabin was on....for example if you are on the Riviera deck in the front of the ship you go to the section marked Riviera Forward and there is ALL the luggage from that section and you have to look through all of it to find "your" bags.....we always managed to find everything...it just took a while..although my mother left the Norfolk port after sailing on the Carnival Victory in June, one bag short after regular debarkation..they were there until noon looking for that bag! It has still never turned up...thank goodness for trip insurance!

I am a BIG FAN of Self Debarkation! Just keep your luggage inside your state room the night before. Oh yea, make sure it is on wheels :eek:

Not only do you get off the ship MUCH FASTER but you do not have to look through hundreds and hundreds of pieces of luggage :eek:

About ten years ago, we were on a Princess cruise and just after embarkation we had an emergency and needed something in our luggage which had not been put outside of our room yet. They took us to a room on the ship (behind closed doors) and we saw at least 200 pieces of luggage just dumped in a big heap on the floor. It literally looked like they dumped it all at once out of the back of a dump truck. It was about 5 feet high and they dug through it and threw the luggage across the room to get to the bottom of the pile until we found ours. Ever since then, I'm always careful not to pack anything that can break or spill open. I can't understand how people smuggle liquor in their bags and it arrives at their room safely.

Archived