Curonian Spit Cormorant Colony

elpam

I went to the Curonian Spit 6 years ago but did not visit the Cormorant Colony. I would have thought that had they had bird flu problems it would have appeared in the media. Why not contact the Klaipeda Tourist Office - nearest mainland big town for more details and for their migration schedule.

If you can enjoy the Curonian Spit without the Cormorants, you should have a wonderful day especially if the weather is kind. If it had crossed your mind to try to get into the Russian state bordering Lithuania on the Curonian Spit, don't even try! The Russians have got the Kaliningrad border well covered - no visa, no go!

Has anyone visited this area when in Lithuania? If so, do you know if the birds migrate in late August? Also, have you heard anything about bird flu there? Thanks

We were there in 06 in early August and had just missed them by a couple of weeks. The trip was a good one though, a unique part of the world. Visited a cute little fishing village and of course walked thru the dunes to the Baltic.

Thank you both for your responses. I would like to go to that area as it looks just beautiful, but we will be disappointed that the birds will have migrated by the time we arrive. That's nature, of course. Now we will have to make a decision. I am surprised that Shorex for Celebrity has included the visit to the colony in their offerings. There is another tour that goes to the stork colony I may look into. elaine

Archived