How far in advance do you book

lostinvegas

Who are you going with by coach? Is it Eavesway or just a coack link to Southampton?

I have just done a route plan it takes 1 1/2 hrs to get from Heathrow to Southampton , on a good day with no traffic - I think you are cutting it fine, what time do you sail ? 5PM? (last people onnoard is 4 pm muster is then)

Sue,

He did say it was the Eavesway coach so there should be no problems. It is mainly motorway from Heathrow although it is 65miles so its more likely to take 1.5hours depending on traffic. However the Eavesway timetable does say 14:30 arrival!

http://www.eaveswaytravel.com/_includes/docs/pdf/Eavesway_Travel_Fares_2009.pdf

Brian

I have to agree with the timings for getting from Heathrow to Southampton as I live a short way from there - closer to the M3 so a shorter journey and also don't have to get out of the airport environs - and the shortest time it has taken me to get from home to Southampton is 1 1/4 hours and the roads were completely clear.

I would say that, if you are leaving Heathrow at 1:45pm then you should arrive at Southampton about 3:30pm allowing for traffic around the airport.

Feebee_71 :)

I book as soon as the online offers are out. The long cruise we are doing this year is still £400 each more than the price we paid and we got 2nd sitting, free parking etc. I do think it depends on the cruise. For instance if you do Canaries, you can get late deals, but personally I think the Canaries are boring, would never choose to go again.

Who are you going with by coach? Is it Eavesway or just a coack link to Southampton?

I have just done a route plan it takes 1 1/2 hrs to get from Heathrow to Southampton , on a good day with no traffic - I think you are cutting it fine, what time do you sail ? 5PM? (last people onnoard is 4 pm muster is then)

I would think with Eavesway they wouldn't let the ship depart without us if there was a major delay! But as everyone says the schedule doesn't sound viable. I think I'll check with Eavesway to make sure there's no mistake in their timetable.

As I understand it we are given a specific embarkation 15 minute time slot and we would certainly not make an early one.

I would think with Eavesway they wouldn't let the ship depart without us if there was a major delay! But as everyone says the schedule doesn't sound viable. I think I'll check with Eavesway to make sure there's no mistake in their timetable.

As I understand it we are given a specific embarkation 15 minute time slot and we would certainly not make an early one.

You would think that, but last year when we had the torrential rain in July we waited 75 minutes for delayed Eavesway coaches in Southampton and then left. We left two bus loads behind and they were flown three days later to meet us at the first port of call being Barcelona. Best to be early I think.:D

just booked for ORIANA in may,got second sitting and a very good price,

last year booked 14 month in advance,not again i do'nt think with the state everything is in,but never say never.

happy cruising all

Which cruise oldgit? I',on Oriana in May too - depart 23rd.:p

I usually book as soon as the brochures come out for no other reason than that is when I get the best Single Supplement prices.

For my last cruise which was the end of November into December on Oriana I booked in July 2007 having watched that prices weren't going up too quickly.

My next cruise in 4 weeks time was booked when the 2008-2009 brochures went on sale in April 2007 so it is almost 2 years since I booked it!!

I have also got a cruise booked for Arcadia in 2010 which I booked before Christmas so only 15 months in advance!!

Feebee_71 :)

You can board anytime you arrive. There is no such thing as a 15 min time slot. The ship will wait for Eavesway coaches but it is very unusual for them to be late. They are doing it for every cruise so they should know how long it takes. The floods in 2007 were exceptional and motorways were closed and I believe even then the ship waited a few hours before departing.

Brian

You can board anytime you arrive. There is no such thing as a 15 min time slot. The ship will wait for Eavesway coaches but it is very unusual for them to be late. They are doing it for every cruise so they should know how long it takes. The floods in 2007 were exceptional and motorways were closed and I believe even then the ship waited a few hours before departing.

Brian

Brian, as I said we waited 75 minutes :) The poster said " I would think with Eavesway they wouldn't let the ship depart without us if there was a major delay. I would class the rain that closes motorways as just that, wouldn't you? So I thought it worth mentioning.

"I think I'll check with Eavesway to make sure there's no mistake in their timetable."

Done it; they've apologised and they tell me the ETA for Southampton for a 1.45 Heathrow departure would be 3-3.30. This sounds more realistic but doesn't give that big a margin for unexpected delays for a 5 p.m. sailing.

Thanks everyone for your posts; hopefully the situation with torrential rain & closure of the motorways won't happen this summer; we must be due a good summer in the U.K after the last 2 washouts.

Happy cruising!

Archived