Running on Caribbean Princess

jibberjabber

I am booked on Caribbean Princess - New England/Canada in September (my first cruise). I am also training for Fall Marathons and need to get in a couple of 10+ mile runs the week of the cruise. It appears the running track on Caribbean Princess is only 1/8 mile. Are there any other onboard alternatives (other than treadmill) to get in this mileage? I'm afraid I'll be dizzy after a few miles on 1/8 mile loop. Or is my best alternative to be first off the ship at a couple of the stops to get my run in on shore?

Promenade deck might work for a shorter run (2-3 m), depending on the time of day and the crowd of people. There is also the treadmills in the gym. But, for your longer days, I would definitely recommend going ashore. It can be a fun and memorable experience. I can remember a great run I had in sunny Aruba, and have often run ashore in Mexico. Just do a little online research to pick a route, and since you might not want to deal with the tenders after a long run, you might pick ports where the ship ties up at the dock. Have a great time, and good luck with your upcoming marathons!

You will want to kill the people that will be walking the Promenade deck if you are a marathoner. Many people walk in the mornings and most of us certainly don't move that fast - the deck is not that wide that it will make it easy for you to go around everyone.

I agree with everyone else - find a place on shore to do it. You should have great weather and what a better way to see your surroundings.

When is your cruise? If it's the 28th, join us on the Roll Call thread.

Also, the prominade deck does not go all the way around the ship. In the front you need to use stairs to go up a deck and then to go down to the Prominade deck again. Not a good running idea.

If the treadmills in the fitness area are not what you want as alternative, then you will need to practice on the shore. Not all docks are in an area that you would want to do this.

Archived