Canary Islands Cruise in february - Weather??

hollyanna

We did the Canarys last Thanksgiving and the weather was gorgeous, mid to upper 70's.........From what I understand it's like that year round.

Thanks for that! I was hoping for this type of answer! What did you think of the islands you visited? I have been to Tenerife only before. Thanks again for your help. Hollyanna

Hollyanna, Our fav was Lanzarote simply because it was so different. We did a "Panoramic Lanzarote" tour which took us to Timanfaya National Park. The park is amazing-You'll feel like you're standing on the moon. The entire landscape is comprised entirely of volcanos-It's really striking.......Eerie, barren, & beautiful, all at the same time. (We rarely take ship's tours and tbh, this is the only one that we've really enjoyed......) We like Tenerife but for the life of me I can't remember much about La Palma. Our ship didn't stop at Madeira, we did Lisbon and Malaga so I can't help you there but I'd take the cruise just to see Lanzarote again! Hope this helps........Vicki

Yes, Lanzarote is my favourite. When we went for a day from a cruise, there were so many trips I wanted to do that we decided to go back for a week and explore further. I didn't expect to like the black lava landscape but it's very dramatic and as a previous poster has said, the Timanfaya trip was spectacular - one of the best of those we've done on cruises. Our excursion also included a camel ride which will probably appeal to your boys too! But there's also a submarine excursion which might be interesting to them - although it doesn't last so long and the mountain is amazing with shows of burning scrub and water geysers from the hot rock. It's very different from Tenerife.

Madeira is also beautiful in a very different way - very lush, green and spectacular scenery if you go on an island tour. We did 'Best of the West' from the ship but I understand these trips are offered much cheaper by local firms - one of which I've seen highly recommended on these boards. But Funchal itself is very interesting if you haven't been before. Your sons will probably enjoy the cable car ride and toboggan ride down the hill - these you can do on your own.

La Palma is very small - but pretty with typical Canarian houses with window boxes, a replica of Columbus' ship and quaint, old streets. It's the kind of place where you might wander for a couple of hours and have a coffee then go back to the ship - which is berthed right next to the town. We've enjoyed visiting Palma but will do a trip into the interior of the island next time we go as there isn't a lot there. As you say perhaps a 'docked' sea day - but I'd recommend an hour or so for a stroll.

And as has been said already the weather in the Canaries is generally around 70 at that time of year - lots of people go from the UK for some winter sunshine. It does get darker earlier in the winter though and it does get a bit cooler in the evenings compared with summer months - although you will probably be enjoying other things cruises have to offer by that time of the day!

I am thinking of booking a 7 day Canaries on Brilliance in Feb 2010 and wondered what the weather might be like on an off ship... Tenerife,Lanzarote, La Palma, Madeira. Thanks in advance. Hollyanna

Weather should be fine and mild. Only problem at that time of year is it can be very windy

La Palma is very small - but pretty with typical Canarian houses with window boxes, a replica of Columbus' ship and quaint, old streets. It's the kind of place where you might wander for a couple of hours and have a coffee then go back to the ship - which is berthed right next to the town. We've enjoyed visiting Palma but will do a trip into the interior of the island next time we go as there isn't a lot there. As you say perhaps a 'docked' sea day - but I'd recommend an hour or so for a stroll.

Now I remember it!!!!

Archived