Anyone remember the old Meridian ship with Celebrity?

Swiped from the Maritime Matters web site.

With the new name SUN VISTA, she proceeded to Norfolk for a quick refit which saw the removal of one of her last unchanged GALILEO features, the intimate Chapel, which sported elegant stained glass panels. The collapse of the Asian economy followed shortly thereafter, and SUN VISTA and the huge new fleet of ships owned by competitor Star Cruises were faced with operating challenges. Sadly, while enroute from Phuket, Thailand to Singapore, the still handsome liner suffered an engine room fire on 21 May 1999, capsized, and sank 45 nautical miles west of Penang Island in the Andaman Sea. All 1090 passengers and crew were safely evacuated.

Sad end to a beautiful ship.

Doc

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering if anyone remembers the old Meridian ship with Celebrity cruises (prior to RCCL buying them out). I worked on the ship for one year and would love if anyone remember sailing on it.

I heard it caught on fire... several years ago.

I just saw your post and hope you're still reading. The Meridien is very close to my heart. I sailed on her many times from 1992 thru 1996. My favorite cruise was out of the New York harbor to Bermuda. I remember many of the crew members: dining room, bar, housekeeping, cruise staff, front desk, security and officers. Please write again and tell me what area you worked in. Maybe we know some people in common.

Peggy

My first cruise to Bermuda was on an inside cabin from NY on the Meridien. It was an odd shaped cabin and my husbands first cruise. He did not sleep a wink until we hit Bermuda. He found Sea bands in Bermuda and slept like a baby on the sail home. Loved the ship, the crew, the food, the elegance. I think it was in 1986 ,87or 88. After that took the Horizon then the Zenith to Bermuda or the NCL Dreamward. But wil never forget that first cruise with husband on the beautiful Meridien.

• 3 weeks later...

I sailed on the Meridian when I was 16 years old. I said to Bermuda with my mom and 2 of her friends (it was a girls vacation)

Vladimere was the wine guy and Ali was our waiter. We bumped into them at Horshoe Bay and they were wearing their speedo's (gross)

She was a beautiful ship.

This was our first cruise in 1990 sailing out of Fort Lauderdale. Ran the typical Eastern Caribbean stops but was one we will always remember since it was our hook into cruising. Much more intimate than those sailing now, however, you could definitely feel the ship rocking Had read posts earlier about it's demise. The thing I remember most was it was an older crowd who did not always appreciate us younger ones at the time having some fun. I think the point was driven home when they were throwing drinks at us in the pool.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I sailed on the Meridien from NY to Bermuda - maybe 1990. The Cruise Director was Ray Solaire, and I remember he did a show for the passengers with puppets. I recall it was corny but funny. I remember that he sort of looked like C3PO from Star Wars. If memory serves me, our waiter was Jose, and I had heard years later that he became a Maitre 'd (sp?) with the line. I remember that we had table for 8 at dinner with a lot of fun people - one being Artie, who dressed up as Dracula for the masquerade parade. (Remember when cruise ships held the masquerade parties?) Anyway, it was a great cruise on a great old ship.

Archived