Help with Shanghai Itinerary

MalibuCA

We will be in Shanghai for two days (cruising on the Crystal Symphony). We have a private guide, and I am trying to "fine tune" the sights that we see. Our two day plan looks like this:

Day 1: People's Square, the Shanghai Museum, the Bund, Nanjing Road, the Peace Hotel (possibly only the outside), and Jewish Shanghai.

Day 2: Yu Garden, Shanghai Old City and the Old French Concession. Possibly Xintiandi (but only in the daytime) and the Oriental Pearl TV Tower.

What do you think of this itinerary? Are there any "must sees" that I have missed? Have I included anything that I shouldn't? Is the Oriental Pearl TV Tower worth the trip to see it? I have seen lots of skyscrapers in New York, and we will be spending 6 days in Hong Kong before our cruise. Is the view of more skyscrapers worth it? Of these sites, how much time would you allow at each one?

We are thinking about seeing the Acrobat Performance our first night in Shanghai. It is offered as a shore excursion with Crystal. Do you recommend this show, or is it just another typical Cirque du Soleil? Keep in mind that we may need to curtail some of our sightseeing in order to see the show. Would we do better to have dinner on the Bund or in Xintiandi instead?

All advice on our itinerary is appreciated. Thanks!

Shelley:)

We will be in Shanghai for two days (cruising on the Crystal Symphony). We have a private guide, and I am trying to "fine tune" the sights that we see. Our two day plan looks like this:

Day 1: People's Square, the Shanghai Museum, the Bund, Nanjing Road, the Peace Hotel (possibly only the outside), and Jewish Shanghai.

Day 2: Yu Garden, Shanghai Old City and the Old French Concession. Possibly Xintiandi (but only in the daytime) and the Oriental Pearl TV Tower.

What do you think of this itinerary? Are there any "must sees" that I have missed? Have I included anything that I shouldn't? Is the Oriental Pearl TV Tower worth the trip to see it? I have seen lots of skyscrapers in New York, and we will be spending 6 days in Hong Kong before our cruise. Is the view of more skyscrapers worth it? Of these sites, how much time would you allow at each one?

We are thinking about seeing the Acrobat Performance our first night in Shanghai. It is offered as a shore excursion with Crystal. Do you recommend this show, or is it just another typical Cirque du Soleil? Keep in mind that we may need to curtail some of our sightseeing in order to see the show. Would we do better to have dinner on the Bund or in Xintiandi instead?

All advice on our itinerary is appreciated. Thanks!

Shelley:)

The Pearl Tower is appreciated the most from across the river during the day and at night, we did not go up it because they want a small fortune, and we (8 of us on a private tour) off the Sapphire Princess last November, chose to eat dinner in a restaurant right on the river just past the Pearl Tower on the same street that runs in front of the tower. There are 2 synagogue's, one is outside of town and the other one is in the town but under reconstruction and was viewable inside and outside for a small fee. In the museum the Jade room was closed, so we spent extra time in the money room. Nanjing Road is best seen at night, when it comes alive. We saw the Acrobat show after dinner down by the river,

one suggestion, have your guide get you tickets in advance and tell them to get you 1st or 2nd row, which is extra but worth it.

If you have more questions or need some more info, you can email me at

alanmal@aol.com

Al :D

Archived