How to see Buchart Gardens

GG Traveler

We will be in Victoria on Friday evening and want to see the illuminated Buchart Gardens. Is it better to book this on the ship or can it be booked through a local travel company in advance? Is there a difference in price or how the pickup/drop-off works? Any other suggestions about this or things to do in Victoria in the evening?

Thanks - GG Traveler :D

When we were there a few years ago, there were 8 of us and we hired a limo at the dock. He happened to work at the gardens at one time and gave us info all the way there. Perhaps you can ask others on your cruise if they want to share the limo. Of course, there are lots of cabs also. In the evening we went to the Sticky Wicket which is within walking distance to the ship.

We will be in Victoria on Friday evening and want to see the illuminated Buchart Gardens. Is it better to book this on the ship or can it be booked through a local travel company in advance? Is there a difference in price or how the pickup/drop-off works? Any other suggestions about this or things to do in Victoria in the evening?

Thanks - GG Traveler :D

:D Taxi cab both ways......simple and efficient....

Here's my notes from our May trip to Victoria, BC...

Grayline offers two services to the gardens in the daytime. One is the shuttle, that is a direct bus to the gardens with no commentary and that leaves about every half hour from the bus depot. the cost is about $17 per person round trip. They also offer a tour out to the gardens that is fully commentated and it leaves from in front of the Empress hotel and it is a little more expensive.

I believe they also offer an evening, but we were only there for the day. Add to that the cost of the gardens which was previously mentioned at approx $27 pp. We've done Butchart Gardens 4 times now, 1 in the evening and 3 in the daytime.

Buchart Gardens is not close to the ship dock. I would be more comfortable with a ship tour. On a cruise, I'm more cautious because I don't want the ship to leave without me.

I tend to agree. The gardens are amazing! I saw them for the first time last year and they are so close to where I live:eek: .

When I took Noordam last year the Gardens were the ONLY tour I booked through HAL as we had so little time there. I wanted to make sure that if there was any kind of delay at all (traffic, weather, anything!:eek:) that the ship would wait for us. If you are not booked through the shipline and miss the All Aboard time the ship will not wait for you. If it's not alot more money I would go with peace of mind over wallet.

Buchart Gardens is not close to the ship dock. I would be more comfortable with a ship tour. On a cruise, I'm more cautious because I don't want the ship to leave without me.

Yeah, but the OP wants an illuminated night tour. I don't think he's gonna get that from the ship's shore excursion program.

I too just feel safer with ship's tours, despite the fact that they are more expensive. I travel alone and I just like the security of knowing it's HAL's problem to get me back to the ship on time. I'm doing a Buchart Gardens tour through HAL on our one day in Victoria, but that is a daytime affair, combined with a short city tour. Sounds to me like the OP wants to see the gardens at night, BEFORE he actually embarks the HAL ship. So, I would imagine he would be on his own for making the arrangements.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yeah, but the OP wants an illuminated night tour. I don't think he's gonna get that from the ship's shore excursion program.

rita

Here are the closing times at BG:

June 15/08 - August 31/08 10:00pm September 1/08 - September 15/08 9:00pm September 16/08 - September 30/08 5:30pm

I have been there in May and July. It's delightful to see the lights come on at dusk.

When my sister and brother-in-law were on Amsterdam, they were on a HAL shore excursion to Buchart Gardens at night because they docked in the late afternoon and left at night.

I thought that OP was on a similar itinerary.

OP, can you clear this up?

HAL does offer a Butchart Gardens tour for the 6PM - 12M port call:

Enchanting Butchart Gardens (Evening Calls)

As darkness falls, an extraordinary world comes to light at the Butchart Gardens near Victoria. Colored lights provide an interplay of light and shadow, transforming the famous Gardens into a fairyland scented with summer blooms. One of the largest underground wiring installations in North America helps this vibrant wonderland of flowers, rare trees and winding paths to take on an enchanted aspect. The magnificent Ross Fountain, the centerpiece of these lush gardens, dances with creative lighting effects. Enjoy cascading fountains, footbridges, music and outdoor entertainment while you learn how a barren rock quarry metamorphosed into a world renowned horticultural attraction. On select dates in July and August on Saturday evenings you may be treated to the Butchart Gardens fireworks display, choreographed to music. During early May and September, daylight is limited and this tour is operated predominately in low light with subtlety illuminated gardens.

Best of all, it only costs $2 :D

Duration: Approximately 3 1/2 hours

Price *: $$

Hi, I live on Vancouver Island and am born and raised in Victoria. If you choose to take a taxi from the cruise port to Butchard Gardens, the drive could take up to 1 hour, depending on traffic lights and possibly longer if you set out around 5 pm. Previous posters are correct, the taxi fare will easily be $50+ one way. Regardless of private vs ship's tours, the Gardens at night are beautiful and you won't be dissappointed! Hope you enjoy your cruise and your visit to Victoria! If you have a chance, I also recommend the Royal Museum - it's really worth the visit! :)

Doreen

Since late May until mid September, all the Dam ships arrive at 6:00 pm and leave at 11:59pm, so there is not a lot of time in Victoria. As mentioned, it is about 45 minutes or so to go from the terminal to Butchart Gardens and then the same back to Victoria. I would be inclined to take the ship tour.

viccruiser

Archived