Newark Penn Station to Liberty Park via Mass Transit?????

LindaO

Hi... everyone here has such great info... so I'm asking another question...

I see we can take (in Newark) the PATH to the Exchange Station and get the Bergen-Hudson Light Rail to Libery Park and then the shuttle to the ferry to Ellis Island.

My mom and I plan on taking the ferry to Ellis Island (we've been to Liberty a few times -- and even up in the crown!) where our relatives landed in the late 1800s and early 1900s. We are going to do this the day after the cruise. She walks okay (with a little difficulty) but can manage if it isn't too far and on flat good walking surfaces. Steps are a problem, a few are okay, but large staircases would be a problem.

My question... can we take the route from Newark Penn Station to Liberty Park and back without much trouble? Is it safe... We'll do it durning daylight hours, after our cruise lands. We are staying a day over in Newark just for this trip. Or, is it better for me to find a car service. We really enjoy using local mass transit (we used mass transit to get all over London and other cities).

I appreicate anyone info anyone can give me! Thanks for the help!

Linda

Sounds like an interesting trip. The Path train goes to Exchange Place and the light rail goes to the park. There is a shuttle bus in the park that will take you to the Ellis Island Ferry. You can download the shuttle bus and ferry schedule from the Liberty Park web site.

My main concern for you is where and why you are staying in Newark?

thanks for the info... we are staying at the Hilton Newark Penn Station after the cruise (the package hotel with Celebrity)... :) so I was just looking for the easiest way to get to the ferry to ellis island

Good that you are staying at the Hilton. I haven't stayed there for many years but it should be OK and the Path trains are right there in the station.

Just be cautious in Newark. If you go out to dinner, take a cab, or eat in the hotel.

Good that you are staying at the Hilton. I haven't stayed there for many years but it should be OK and the Path trains are right there in the station.

Just be cautious in Newark. If you go out to dinner, take a cab, or eat in the hotel.

138 -- again.. thanks.. >I appreciate your help... We'll definately take a cab if we leave the hotel... other than to Liberty Park... but if mom is having a difficult day walking -- we'll just take a cab to Liberty Park for and catch the ferry. I appreciate the information, we'll definately be careful

Archived