Venice shuttle to cruise terminal

It runs on the days ships are in port. In May we took it on a Monday. I think most ships are in port on Saturday, Sunday and Monday so those are the days the shuttle normally runs..

HI Dog Mommie,

I just posted this on another thread discussing the new bridge. This how we walked to the Piazzale Roma.

We did this exact route in May. Arrived by train into the Santa Lucia station (right in Venice). We stayed overnight right beside the station and in the morning we walked to the Piazzale Roma where after a bit of searching we found the free port shuttle--it was for several ships that were in port not just our cruise line. We just looked for a lot of people pulling their luggage and followed them to the stop in the far left corner of the P.R. Now to get to the Piazzale Roma we walked over the three bridges--we are pretty fit late 50's couple-it was not all that bad and took about 15 minutes. We saw the new bridge and if it is open it will be a much shorter route--only one bridge and it has the small steps to make getting your luggage up the steps much easier. We walked because we did not want to pay the 6.50 euro for the vaporetto to the P.R. We are going again next May and will walk again! So I don't think you will have as hard a time as you seem to think. Lots of people walk around Venice pulling their luggage. And the port shuttle runs from the P.R. fairly regularly when ships are in port. You may have to wait for 30 minutes but we just chatted with everyone else who was waiting and the time passed quickly. I hope this helps---believe me you won't be alone doing this.

Am I correct that I read someone say that the shuttle bus from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal only runs on the weekends??

We were in Venice on a Saturday in May 2007 to catch our ship. Six of us waited at P. Roma well over an hour for the free port shuttle and it never appeared. It was early afternoon, so perhaps the driver took a long lunch? Anyway, we found a nice local lady who told us to use the 6/ (the / is important) local bus that let us off right across from the pier entrance after a very short ride. We couldn't figure out how to pay so the ride ended up being free for us, but I think the regular cost was €1. After our cruise we walked back to P. Roma from the pier wheeling our luggage. It is only about a 15-20 minute walk.

Does anyone know if you can take luggage on the Vaparetto?? We are planning on getting 48 hour passes for the Vaparetto and were hoping to use them to get from the ship to our hotel. I know that the Alilguana line allows luggage at an additional charge, but they are not on the Vaparetto passes.

Thanks for any hlep you can give me. Barbie

vaporetto: their official policy is one suitcase per person in the size range of a airplane carry-on. In June we saw people dragging on much more and much larger than that.

alilaguna: what we saw people carrying was pretty much the same as we saw on the vaporetto.

We were in Venice on a Saturday in May 2007 to catch our ship. Six of us waited at P. Roma well over an hour for the free port shuttle and it never appeared. It was early afternoon, so perhaps the driver took a long lunch? Anyway, we found a nice local lady who told us to use the 6/ (the / is important) local bus that let us off right across from the pier entrance after a very short ride. We couldn't figure out how to pay so the ride ended up being free for us, but I think the regular cost was €1. After our cruise we walked back to P. Roma from the pier wheeling our luggage. It is only about a 15-20 minute walk.

Hi Lambs2,

Do you take the # 6/ from the same place? This is reassuring to know!

Barbie, yes, you can take luggage on the vaporetti. Technically, I've heard/read that when buying the ticket, one should pay extra for the second piece of luggage. We always have 1 wheelie & 1 backpack & always just buy a regular passenger ticket & don't even ask or say anything about the luggage. We've never been challenged. Actually, I've never seen/heard anyone mentioning luggage when buying the tickets.

Caution - If you have 2 larger pull or carry bags per person, I want to warn you that sometimes (& usually!) the vaporetti can be very crowded. Trying to get on & off with 2 wheelies/carry bags would be very difficult. In that case, there are a couple of options - use the inexpensive luggage storage at Piazzle Roma (Venice transportation center) for the big bags & only take a smaller bag to the Venice hotel. Then pick the stored luggage up before going to the airport or train when you leave Venice. I'm sure you have seen the options for getting from the ship to P.Roma.

Have fun in Venice & on your cruise!

Oops, I took so long to post, there are 2 other posts I hadn't seen. Someone answered your luggage question. BTW, Hi, Tammiko!

thanks to all. I planned on walking to the terminal from Pze. Roma if I can't find the shuttle. our ship boards next week on tuesday and leaves wednesday. from what I've read, the walk isn't too bad assuming one wheeled bag apiece. But I will look for the free shuttls anyway! From other posts, I still can't tell if the new bridge is open or not.

Hi Lambs2,

Do you take the # 6/ from the same place? This is reassuring to know!

Since I am really unsure just WHERE the free shuttle that never showed up for us was supposed to pick up, it is hard to answer your question! The 6/ bus picked up along the curb kind of at the back of P. Roma. Hard to describe. Somewhere in my memoories here on CC I have seen a map of P. Roma, but I don't have a link for it. Anybody have that link and can post it?

gosh, i'm so sorry to hear about everyone's problems finding the free shuttle! it's a bright orange bus that says "port of venice" on a very small sign in the front window (size of a piece of paper). let's say you're standing in the middle of p. roma in all the buses. put the bridge from the airport to your back, the little gift/food stands to your front, hotel (what is the name of that hotel?) to your left/front, the little canal off-shooting the grand canal to your left. walk to the right/front corner of the square, and that's where you can stand to watch for the bus. look for people with luggage tags for your ship. sometimes there may be a line.

Perhaps a dumb question, but where do the ships dock in Venice when it's a mid-cruise stop? I have been to Venice before so I am familiar with the layout of the town but can't imagine it. Near the Piazzale Roma? Near St. Mark's?

Thank you!

Archived