LA/San Pedro: Luggage Storage? Things to do?

traveljen1027

Hi! Are there things to do around the Port of Los Angeles (i.e. within walking distance) that a 4 year old would enjoy? If so, is there a place to store luggage at the port after our cruise prior to catching a shuttle back to the airport? I'm currently looking at a 4:40 pm flight back to Denver, but I'm not sure if we should do the cruise line excursion for LA that day or try and do something low-key on our own. If we took a later flight (8:30 pm approx) would we have time to go to Catalina? Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately in this post 9/11 world, holding luggage becomes a big security issue.

Also what airport are you talking about?

Catalina would be really iffy to get there and back in time.

Best bet is to take is to take a ship sponsored post cruise tour.

Or rent a car from Enterprise at the Crowne Plaza that you can return to the airport.

Yes, it's an extra drop off fee.

But in this day and age, it's really the only option for a lot of time with luggage.

LAX won't even let you check your luggage anymore if it's too soon before your flight.

So a tour (although I'm not sure how great that would be for a four year old) will solve your luggage problem - because then luggage is on the tour bus.

Or renting a car, you can lock the luggage in the trunk and go wherever you want for the day.

If you are staying in a hotel such as Crowne Plaza or Doubletree before your cruise, you could check with them and see if they will hold your luggage for a fee after the cruise.

You'd have to call them for that though.

But with a rental car, you can stop and go at your own timing for the four year old.

Some cool things for a 4 year old...

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

http://www.santamonicapier.org/

Thank you!! This is fantastic - I think we may even just rent a car at LAX when we arrive (instead of taking a shuttle to the hotel) and then just leave it at the cruise terminal so we have it on Monday when we disembark...since its only a 3 day cruise, this doesn't seem like a huge cost to pay for convienence. Then we'll have the car on Thursday and Friday morning, and we can either put our luggage in the trunk on Monday or go do something for a couple hours before heading back to LAX. Thanks again - these are awesome suggestions.

Thank you!! This is fantastic - I think we may even just rent a car at LAX when we arrive (instead of taking a shuttle to the hotel) and then just leave it at the cruise terminal so we have it on Monday when we disembark...since its only a 3 day cruise, this doesn't seem like a huge cost to pay for convienence. Then we'll have the car on Thursday and Friday morning, and we can either put our luggage in the trunk on Monday or go do something for a couple hours before heading back to LAX. Thanks again - these are awesome suggestions.

I think that this is an awesome idea for your circumstances!

It will work out very well for you, and your 4 year old.

Since you'll have the car then, take advantage of this drive down to the pier...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=500138

Just take Sepulveda down from LAX, which will automatically turn into Pacific Coast Highway.

Follow it, and you'll eventually just run into the Harbor Freeway to take you to San Pedro for the last bit.

Almost just as fast as the freeway, and way way nicer and more scenic.

Archived