Splendours of the Nile, October 08

HappyMe_

Hello everyone,

Would like some advice from anyone who may have done this cruise, or similar. We are booked for the Uniworld Splendours and are arriving 2 days before the actual tour.

I noticed on our itinerary, that we will be visiting the Museum in the afternoon. I have read about the heat and crowds and wonder if it would be wise to use some of our 'extra' time to visit museum before hand, even at the risk of duplicating some of the exhibits. I know it is a vast place and it would take more than a few hours to see most of it. Also, I would opt for doing this first thing in morning versus the afternoon.

Anyone who may have done this tour, tell us how much time they actually got to spend there? What areas were you shown?

Thanks for any help here.

We were on Uniworld's Splendors tour last November. We spent 2-3 hours at the museum (I don't remember exactly). You could spend days there, so that would certainly be good use of your time. We did not have an opportunity to visit the Coptic section of Cairo, so that would be another possibility.:)

We are also planning a trip to Egypt, but not until 2009. I noticed in Uniworld's 2009 brochure that a new ship --River Tosca, which will be all suites, will be doing Egypt next year. don't know if this makes any difference to you or not.

I am like you though and have been researching different companies. I also felt like we would fly in a few days early and hire a guide so we could spend more time at the Egyption Museum. My experience with tour groups is that only a small amount of time is allocated for each activity. The museum warrants more than 2 or 3 hours from information I have been reading. The other thing I would want to do is explore Coptic Cairo and go to the Gayer Anderson Museum.

I will be interested in reading your trip report when you return.

Have a wonderful time. Wish we didn't have to wait so long!!

micked10

I wonder if there will be a price increase on Uniworld's Egypt cruises once they have their new all-suite ship on the Nile. We found our November 2007 trip to be very affordable. By the way if you have any other questions about cruising the Nile with Uniworld, please feel free to ask. This was an absolutely wonderful trip. If you would like to see our photos, please send me an email (pjppaula@comcast.net), and I'll be happy to send you an invite from Kodak Gallery.:) :)

Thanks,

I just bet there will be an increase for the 2009 cruise. considering it is all suite and that everything else has increased I will be anxious to see what Uniworld does. The agent said the brochure should be out in early Oct.

There are several things that I don't like about their trip. First is that they only spend 2 nights in Cairo at the beginning of the trip and secondly a trip to Abu Simbel is an option with an added cost of $230 pp.

They do go back to Cairo for an addtional 2 days after the cruise. They also do not go to Alexandria which we want to do.

I am also looking at Maupintours but the same situation exists as far as not knowing what the 2009 fares will be. This is a 16 day trip and they use the Philea Oberoi cruise, which is supposed to be very good and the tour includes everything! They stay at the Mena House in Cairo for 4 nights and have 2 nights in Alexandria. Their tour really appeals to me and also the fact that they don't take more than 30 people.

I think it will all come down to the fares and how camparable they are. Both tours sound excellent.

micked10

Thank you, definitely looks like we should take the opportunity to explore the museum a bit more.

Paula, I requested your pics many months ago and hubby and I really enjoyed them. Cannot even fathom how excited we will be when we actually get to see everything first hand.

Micked10 I checked out the Gayer Anderson Museum and it too, is now on my list of things, if we can spare the time, to go see. Facinating. I am not a great report writer, but I will try to keep a small journal and see what I come up with on our return, :) .

The new ship, River Tosca I believe it is called, no doubt will send the prices up a bit. We thought our cruise was also reasonably priced considering the number of days. We will be on the M/S Miriam, which is a bit older, however I am sure the Uniworld good standards will be in place.

Looking forward to this trip of a lifetime for us.

Phyllis

I see Micked10 you posted as I was writing!

You are correct about the Abu Simbel is extra on Uniworld, which we gladly added as we have heard from many that it was definitely up there at the top of highlights of their holiday.

We do miss Alexandria, but I guess there will always be things that cannot be covered. Given it is a port, we might be able to see this city another time on a larger cruise ship, as it seems to be one of the stops for some lines (wishful thinking) probably here.

Regarding Mena House, we are booked for two extra nights pre cruise, as I read so much about it and the history as a royal hunting lodge. We thought it might be a good place to get our bearings after the long flights. When I booked my rooms, I was at that time offered the cruise on the Philea Oberoi, but we had already booked with Uniworld. I would have been very tempted had we not already had this in place, as I have read very good reviews about their river ship.

So many wonderful choices, to see a magical land.

Phyllis

I hope you have a wonderful time on your Holiday to Egypt. I will be looking forward to your report when you return and also what was the weather like in Oct. We are thinking of either Oct. or Nov. of 2009. Such a long time to wait though!

Yes, are are right. There is no way a person could see everything in just one visit to Egypt. Guess you just have to decide what is the most important for you and then hope you get back someday to see MORE.

Enjoy. Did you choose a pyramid view at the Mena ?

micked10

We were on the MS Giselle which is almost identical to the MS Miriam. Both are owned by Egyptian Hotels and are run by that organization rather than Uniworld. Your tour guide will be employed by Uniworld. Ours was wonderful. Since the River Tosca will actually be owned by Uniworld, it should be a somewhat different experience onboard the ship. We have no complaints, but it was different from the experience on a Uniworld ship in Europe.

Thanks so much for the photos. They were wonderful. As soon as I receive any of the 2009 brochures I will let you know the prices. I feel like Uniworld will be pricey since it is a suite cruise on the Nile. It would be a wonderful experience though.

We did the Tulips and windmills with them this Apr. and couldn't have been more pleased. Everything was done to perfection and we had one of the best cruise managers we have ever had.

micked10

That's interesting, I did not know that the ship was not owned by Uniworld. Do you know which hotel does?

I agree, don't see how they will not have higher prices, if all the rooms are all suites. However, if everything is packaged together, sometimes the overall price is, at the very least on par.

I noticed on the Insight tour page, that for the same price we are paying they have gratuities included on cruise boat.

Yes we have pyramid view from our balcony. A real treat I am sure.:)

All the Nile cruise ships that Uniworld currently uses are owned by a consortium whose name is "Egyptian Hotels" as best as I remember. The crew is all employed by this company rather than by Uniworld. For this reason, you will find more than Uniworld passengers on board. Our group from Uniworld was a little over 30 people, and Uniworld provided our Tour director. The other groups had their own tour directors and their own schedule for visiting the different sites.

The rooms on the Egyptian ships were larger than the typical room on a European river boat and very comfortable with windows that opened. All rooms had a full tub--a real luxuty for me. :) The ships were older. but their age didn't detract from the trip at all. I will admit that the room is not very important for my DH and me as we enjoy being out on deck. Because of all the sightseeing, you spend little time in the rooms anyway.

Archived