Lodging in Venice

Unfortunately Venice and economical don't go together at all. In my research for my Oct '08 Med cruise, I found Mestre (on the mainland) to be the most economical. There is the Hotel Bologna and Golden Tulip Tritone that are both fairily reasonable. To stay in Venice proper, the price goes up considerably. I found Ca' Doge in Piazzale Roma was a nice looking hotel, and decided for the convenience of being in the transportation hub of Venice, I'd pay the higher price. Shuttle from the ship, bus to the airport and the vaporetto stop are all right outside their door.

A good website to research hotels is www.venere.com not only do they have hotels, but a good location map and reviews. And you don't pay when making the reservation, you pay at the hotel.

Good luck, have fun planning then taking your trip.

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Dalla Mora which is two small bridges from P. Roma on the walking route to St Marks Sq. It was 95E for a room with a bath. It is a small no frills family owned hotel. But it is a clean room on a canal in Venice. A room with a shared bath is less.

NOthing in Venice is inexpensive. But -- for a great location at a reasonable price, we stayed at the Violino D'Oro, a little gem only a block from St. Marks square, right next to the canal, across the canal from a beautiful church, and incidentally in the same block as Gucci and Prado. It was about half the price of the big touristy Bauer hotel right next to it.

If you decide on a hotel in Mestre, or by the airport, be sure to figure your train costs (from Mestre to Venice & reverse) in with the hotel price to see if you really are saving.

Also, if you plan on siteseeing in Venice, you may make 2 trips on the train after the cruise - ship to train to Mestre hotel; checkin & leave bags; train from Mestre to Venice to sitesee; train from Venice to Mestre hotel.

What I did was use Venere & Tripadvisordotcom to find hotel options. Sort the list either by reviewer ratings or lowest price first. Those with reviews of 80% or above & reasonably in the right price range, I then searched for & checked out the hotel website & from there got a price for my dates. Do research the hotels somewhat above your price range, because I found the actual prices to be lower than those listed. I also sort my choices by location, but you may only want lower price. I also trusted the reviews on tripadvisor more than those on venere.

Good luck.

Archived