QE2 cabin 1005

yojimbo

I have been offered cabin 1005 (MI category) for an upcoming crossing.

I'd appreciate any info/opinions about this cabin.

Thanks,

Jim[/quote

I was in cabin 2004 last year and it was the last cabin at the front of the ship. Fine if there's no weather but the slightest bit of sea and you'd have been all over the place. I take it 1005 would be directly above.

Glenn.

[quote=nitwit;15722759

I was in cabin 2004 last year and it was the last cabin at the front of the ship. Fine if there's no weather but the slightest bit of sea and you'd have been all over the place. I take it 1005 would be directly above.

Glenn.

Not so! Cabin 2004 is indeed forward, but 1005 is approx midships, as there is crew accommodation forward on one deck. I was in cabin 1006 in June up to Norway, and found it very comfortable, with very little motion. 1005 is quite a small inside single cabin, but should be adequate. Only downside is that there is a bit of traffic to and from the crew's quarters, and the cabin stewards often leave their trolleys in the passageway, but I certainly had no complaints about 1006.

pnhmrk---thanks for the response. can you amplify your comments on how the one-deck cabins are nicer than those on lower decks?

Do they have wood paneling?

I think that it's important to point out that I've only seen 1011 (I thought it was 1010 but have been informed otherwise) but I have no reason to think the other three cabins differ greatly. When the QE2 was designed she had First Class cabins midships, Second Class at the stern and on Deck Four and Third Class at the bow and on Deck Five. Deck One had no Third Class cabins because that Deck does not go far enough forward. Therefore I think it is safe to assume that all four were First Class cabins although they would probably have been occupied by staff of the passengers in the nearby cabins (a nanny or similar).

I think these cabins are better than the cabins in either Second or Third Class for two main reasons: their location is far better for accessing the rest of the ship and their standard of decor will be that of the First and not Second or Third Class cabins (although I can't remember if those cabins include wood panelling or not).

The original deck-plans show the QE2 as being two classes: first and tourist. It's my understanding that the original concept for the "new" ship (known as Q3) was to have three distinct classes, as did the earlier Queens, but that project was abandoned and the Q4 project - which of course became the QE2 - had two classes. Before the Queen's Grill was created on Boat Deck, there was a Grill Room which is now the Princess Grill.

Cabin 1005 was definitely in the first class section of the ship according to my 1972 deck plan. My 1971 deck plan was for cruises, so it didn't have the class-dividing dotted lines as did the transatlantic plans. The inside single cabins in the first class section, such as cabin 1005, were sold for cruises but not for the two-class crossings for many years. Cunard used to brag that first class staterooms were all outside. When we took our first crossing in 1973, I asked at the Pursers Bureau what those unsold rooms were used for. I was told they accommodated lecturers and entertainers and, by special arrangement, could be sold for passengers' servants. (The Italian Line in the 1970s listed special inside servants cabins in their Sailings & Fares leaflets, although Cunard and all other lines I sailed with did not.) By 1978 (possibly earlier) these inside singles were being sold as first class cabins.

The original deck-plans show the QE2 as being two classes: first and tourist. It's my understanding that the original concept for the "new" ship (known as Q3) was to have three distinct classes, as did the earlier Queens, but that project was abandoned and the Q4 project - which of course became the QE2 - had two classes.

The Q4 - the QE2 - was designed with three classes. It was only as she was nearing the end of her build that she was converted to two. She was launched with two classes but had been designed with three.

My 1971 deck plan was for cruises, so it didn't have the class-dividing dotted lines as did the transatlantic plans.

You can still see where the classes changed - look at where the cabin doors change colour ahead of the lobbies at A stairs and astern of the lobbies at G.

Archived