San Francisco Airports

uktog

OK now getting organised for 3 Sept next year. Can get our flights into SFO no problem however on our return need to go back via Seattle if we want to use our BA miles (thats Ok we can have a few days there). You guys will be the experts - what is better, we can see flights from Oakland and SFO. How easy is it to get to each and what will the taxi cost - do X have any transportation options - looking at flights around noon.

Also any tips for where we should stay in Seattle - what should we aim to be near, dont plan to hire a car if I can avoid it

Thanks a lot

Toggy

Oak airport is across the Bay bridge, approx. a 30 min drive on a "good traffic" day & time from SF piers. SFO airport is approx. the same time drive in the same traffic conditions south of the city. There are several types of transportation available, bus, taxi, limo, BART (light rail system) or train. All are excellent choices, some are easier than others. No public transportation goes directly to the pier--you would either walk or taxi it there. If you are staying in SF a day or so, try to see if you can get a hotel that will provide some airport transportation from SFO & then you can taxi it to the pier from the hotel. I hope this little bit of info helps you!

SFO is slightly down the peninsula in San Bruno...

Oakland is across the Bay Bridge...

I always fly in and out of Oakland--but, that's because my company is in Downtown Oakland...The problem with Oakland for you, as a tourist, is that you will need a car, taxi or shuttle...and it is slightly farther than SFO...and there is only one way (well, only one DIRECT way) there---over the bridge...BART does not go to Oakland Airport--there is a link to a bus, but, believe me, you don't want to mess with that...especially with luggage and without knowing where you are...Other than that, there's nothing really wrong with usuing Oakland...the airport is a bit smaller than SFO and easier to find one's way around...If you get good flight times from there and are willing to take a shuttle or taxi, go ahead...

Here's some sample shuttle fares in the Bay Area on Super Shuttle:

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/sfo.htm#Sample

SFO to San Francisco Hotels $13.50

OAK to/from San Francisco Hotels $25.00 / $15.00

BART does now go directly from San Francisco to SFO...You'd need to take a very short cab ride from the ship down to Market Street to one of the BART stations and it's an extremely cheap BART ride to the airport--$495 per person from Embarcadero or Montgomery St. Stations...

See this link:

http://www.bart.gov/guide/airport/airport.asp

I'm not sure what Celebrity does because I've never sailed out of San Francisco...but my guess is they do not serve all bay area airports...probably just SFO...

Good luck...

In Seattle, I'd stay in the Downtown area...airport's pretty remote, suburbs are generally across the Sound or north...Without transportation, most of what you will need to arrange can be most easily found Downtown...

Poster above is correct - Bart does not have a direct run to Oakland Airport.

All things being equal, SFO might be handier.

Technical - but BART is not "light rail" as noted above, but "heavy rail" by any definition of mass transit. Not only that, it uses a "bastard" gauge, which means no rolling stock can be bought off-the-shelf, but must be all custom made. The engineers who designed the system did not consult railroad types, and in my opinion will never work right!

Thanks for the info - very helpful. Looks like the info from British Airways was wrong, there is no choice, we would have to go from Oakland. OK I think you are telling me use a taxi. Spose after spending all the money on the cruise, dont wanna cheapskate the last few days. How do you book the time for the pick up - do you just guess what time you will be off the ship - we should be off first as we have a suite. Anyone used anyone good?

When we arrive in SFO we will just use Airport shuttles - worked well last time so will use that again

Getting excited, whilst the flight back has been a hassle, going out early means DH will just have to take me to Napa Valley on the Friday!

OK Cant get my countdown clock to work so

Next cruise 3 April Summit

then

3 September Infinity

I'd call (or E-mail) the shuttle guys regarding pick up at the ship for the trip to Oakland Airport and see what they suggest...They've probably done this countless times and have it down to a science...I've used limos from the ship before...and they always seem to find a way to be there on time...

As to spending Friday in Napa...well...you might not make it to the ship :) :) :)

Also, do you really want to spend a few days post-cruise in Seattle? Nothing against Seattle, it's a nice town but I'm sort of biased, I'd spend an extra couple of days in San Francisco...Well, maybe not...I'm in San Francisco quite a bit as it is so Seattle would be a change of pace--but for you folks not from around here...San Francisco's got to be one of the top tourist cities in the world...

thanks Bruin - couldnt agree more San Francisco is a brilliant place - but we have already done a trip there - and enjoyed a realy memorable might - super bowl final 1995 - yes the 49ers won it and we still have our Beer Glasses all the way back here 2 house moves later. Just we need to see more of the US and we will certainly be back to SF but we could do Seattle now and have one more tick in the box

Archived