Any suggestions for Amsterdam?

trishs

Make a boattour through the canals, lasts about 1 hour, leaving from various places in town, e.g. like around Centraal Station. Nicest way to see the city.

Centraal Station is walking distanse (about 10-15min.) from the cruise-terminal or take tramnr. 25 or 26 to get there.

Make a reservation in Ann Frank house, also not too far away from CS.And read the book again before getting there). You are close to the "Jordaan" area with more small canals and nice houses.

Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt etc.) or VanGoghmuseum are in town, not walking distance, but by tramnr. 25 and get off at Museumplein.

Amsterdam is a very walkable, enougfh to see or do.

http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Trish, I suggest you browse this forum site a bit more and you will find numerous good suggestions by Ine.

I agree with her that Amstedam is very walkable and you will also find that the majority of locals speak excellent English. So you won't get lost.

Make a boattour through the canals, lasts about 1 hour, leaving from various places in town, e.g. like around Centraal Station. Nicest way to see the city.

Centraal Station is walking distanse (about 10-15min.) from the cruise-terminal or take tramnr. 25 or 26 to get there.

Make a reservation in Ann Frank house, also not too far away from CS.And read the book again before getting there). You are close to the "Jordaan" area with more small canals and nice houses.

Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt etc.) or VanGoghmuseum are in town, not walking distance, but by tramnr. 25 and get off at Museumplein.

Amsterdam is a very walkable, enougfh to see or do.

http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Thanks Ine,

That's great I'll add the canal boat. I have purchased the Ann Frank tickets.

Thank you so much! Trish

Trish, I suggest you browse this forum site a bit more and you will find numerous good suggestions by Ine.

I agree with her that Amstedam is very walkable and you will also find that the majority of locals speak excellent English. So you won't get lost.

Lair Bear,

I didn't realize that Amsterdam wasn't included in the Baltic thread I was on. I had searched did a search for Amsterdam but not much came up. I saw that they moved me to the Brithish Isles/Western Europe I am newer at this so I'm sorry I didn't search in the correct place before asking the question.

Still in training.

Trish

We will be: Aug. 29 Fir- AMSTERDAM noon - 7 p.m. On the Splendor

I'm not sure what to do yet. Any suggestions would be great.

We enjoy walking and architecture, history etc

Thanks Trish

I agree with the suggestions other posters have made.

When we were there, we really enjoyed the flower market. It is close to one of the canals, but I can't remember which one. I know that we walked there from the main square (Dam Platz).

Lair Bear,

I didn't realize that Amsterdam wasn't included in the Baltic thread I was on. Trish

We all have had that same problem. Most cruises that include Amsterdam go on to the Baltic, so it is natural to look for details in the Northern Europe section.

We returned from the Baltic about a week ago and I have started to put our trip experience together on the web. If you have time take a look at the following and select the port of interest. More is to follow.

http://www.*****.com/Baltic.html

When we were there, we really enjoyed the flower market. It is close to one of the canals, but I can't remember which one. I know that we walked there from the main square (Dam).

The canal you refer to is called the Singel. It is the oldest canal to surround the original parts of Amsterdam. Just about 800 years ago there was a 'dam' across the Amstel River (hence Amsteldam or Amsterdam). This dam was located where you visited 'De Dam'. There are only small sections of water where the Amstel flowed through the city; the land was reclaimed a couple hundred years ago and that is where you now find some of the less ancient buildings such as the stock exchange and the former diamond trading center.

The Amstel was diverted by means of the Singel and subsequently three more canals to the west (Herengracht, Keizergracht and Prinsengracht). The popular Anne Frank House is along the latter.

If you like beer try an Amstel instead of Heiniken. BTW Heineken is old Nertherlands for 'little Hein'. For more information ask Ine.

Has anyone used this? I hear it is fairly new and even has a stop near the Ann Frank House. Would taking this boat be a good way to see Amsterdam and would one still need to take another canal boat ride? We will have only one day in Amsterdam and are trying to plan what high spots to see and do!

Just returned from Amsterdam 7/08 (NCL Jade British Isles) We only had a day as well and enjoyed the HOHO canal boats. Stops right in front of Anne Frank's house, the Rikjmuseum/Van Gogh Museum etc. The flower mart and flea market are treats not to be missed. The boat will pick you up and drop you off right at the cruise terminal, just ask when you get off the ship. I pre-bought the tickets online before our trip to save time in line in Amsterdam. Have fun!

Just returned from Amsterdam 7/08 (NCL Jade British Isles) We only had a day as well and enjoyed the HOHO canal boats. Stops right in front of Anne Frank's house' date=' the Rikjmuseum/Van Gogh Museum etc. The flower mart and flea market are treats not to be missed. The boat will pick you up and drop you off right at the cruise terminal, just ask when you get off the ship. I pre-bought the tickets online before our trip to save time in line in Amsterdam. Have fun![/quote']

That sounds like a great way to see Amsterdam for the first time! Do you know their web site and what the tour costs? I suppose the information desk at the cruise terminal can direct passengers to the dock right there.

Such great information. Loved the walking tour, printed it our and set to go. We leave Friday out of SFO to London, can't wait! I see there is a choice of HOHO boat or a tour boat. What would you suggest?

Trish

we enjoyed the HOHO because of the ability to get off at the Anne Frank House, Museums, Flower Market etc. If you wanted to rest and cruise on the canals you could sit as long as you wanted. I don't know anything about the tour boats. Have fun, wish I was going again!!! What other ports are you hitting?

If you love countryside and Holland like on the old paintings, you can do the same tour like we did:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2008/08/tag-2-auf-der-norwegian-jewel.html

Marken - Volendam - Edam - Schermer - Amsterdam

5 Hours for just 125.00 EUR per 1-4 passengers.

It was great.

HeinBloed

I just read you report about the visit to Marken, Volendam etc. It was bad luck you had another rainy day in NL.

But...what your guide told you about Zaanse Schans isnot true!!!

It icertainly s not (re)built for American tourists. I think Volendam is more touristic then Zaanse Schans.

Zaanse Schans by origin was started by a.o. Albert Heyn, who had their 1st grocery shop rebuilt over there. Most windmills are originals, rebuilt and restored at Zaanse Schans. Also houses etc. are from various villages and places in the Zaan region. Either they needed big repairs or their place was needed for housing. Zaanse Schans made it possible to save those windmills and houses and had them removed along river Zaan.

It is a nice place to visit, walk around, visit the windmills, see how klompen (clogs) are made, taste various cheeses, even make a boatride over the river.

It can be reached by busnr. 91 from Amsterdam Centraal Station (30 minutes) and when in 2009 the new bridge is ready also again by train, station Koog-Zaandijk.

So next time you are in Amsterdam, do visit Zaanse Schans!!!!

Liarbear has made a nice report about his visit to Zaanse Schans and Amsterdam, check this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=819211

I just read you report about the visit to Marken, Volendam etc. It was bad luck you had another rainy day in NL.

But...what your guide told you about Zaanse Schans isnot true!!!

It icertainly s not (re)built for American tourists. I think Volendam is more touristic then Zaanse Schans.

Zaanse Schans by origin was started by a.o. Albert Heyn, who had their 1st grocery shop rebuilt over there. Most windmills are originals, rebuilt and restored at Zaanse Schans. Also houses etc. are from various villages and places in the Zaan region. Either they needed big repairs or their place was needed for housing. Zaanse Schans made it possible to save those windmills and houses and had them removed along river Zaan.

It is a nice place to visit, walk around, visit the windmills, see how klompen (clogs) are made, taste various cheeses, even make a boatride over the river.

It can be reached by busnr. 91 from Amsterdam Centraal Station (30 minutes) and when in 2009 the new bridge is ready also again by train, station Koog-Zaandijk.

So next time you are in Amsterdam, do visit Zaanse Schans!!!!

Liarbear has made a nice report about his visit to Zaanse Schans and Amsterdam, check this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=819211

Dear Ine:

I was quite happy with our tour.

If Zaanse Schans is the giant version of Madurodam I can still do it at another time. But to be honest: if it is rebuilt and compiled from all part of the Netherlands to have at on one place it sounds for me more like a theme park. And I was happy with the tour we made.

Schermen as replacement for Zaanse Schans to see some windmills was just beautiful and we enjoyed the ride through the countryside.

Amsterdam and the Netherlands has to offer much more than you can do in 5 hours.

Our next cruise calling Rotterdam is on 21.05.2009. So again good reason to discover more.

Regards,

HeinBloed

To make it more clear, Zaanse Schans is certainly not Madurodam nor a Theme Park or Museum. People are living in the houses. Again all is from the same Zaan region, it was made to keep the history of this part of NL (windmills etc.) alive.

From Rotterdam, you should pay a visit to Delft and/or Gouda. Both also old towns with much history.

I agree with the previous posts. When we were in Amsterdam last year, we took the hop on hop off boats through the canals. They had three different routes, and we took all three, enjoying the narrated tours, history, views, and the relaxing afternoon. Also the Ann Frank house was very moving. That should take all your time! As mentioned before the people are very friendly and helpful. Enjoy your trip!

• 2 weeks later...

A great city and so easy to walk around. I would also recommend Ann Frank's house and a general walk by the canals in the Jordaan - it's a lovely tranquil area! Amsterdam is so friendly. We enjoyed a Dutch High Tea in the Krasnapolsky hotel in Dam Square. We also fitted in drinks in the garden court of the Sofitel Grand - what a beautiful hotel! We didn't know it was near the Red Light area so our walk back into town was quite eye-opening!!

Archived