Jelly Fish & Sharks at Beaches? "Mexican Rivera"

secretv2

Aloha-

How safe is the water at the Beaches in Mexico "Mexican Rivera"?

Are there a lot of Jelly fish? I've read a quite a few post about ppl being stung at Las Caletas, Stone Island and even on Cabo.

What about Shark attacks during snorkeling and swimming?

Comments & Reviews would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thank you,

secretv2:confused:

Aloha-

Are there a lot of Jelly fish? I've read a quite a few post about ppl being stung at Las Caletas, Stone Island and even on Cabo.

Thank you,

Sharks and jellyfish live in the ocean ... it's a fact of life and there is nothing anybody can do about. I did a brief google search and shark attacks have been reported further south in the Ixtapa area. I do recall sombody asking a tour guide in Vallarta about sharks in the bay. He told us that the dolphin population that lives there keeps the sharks, if the came that far north, out of the bay. I haven't heard of any shark sightings in Bandaras Bay.

Jellyfish is another story. They ride the ocean currents and, it the conditions are right, they do enter Bandaras Bay along the north coast. Once in the bay, it take 5-7 days before the currents sweep them back out at the south end of the bay. We have had only one November where there was a big infestation and the tour operators would not let people get into the water along the north coast.

I have never seen them washed up on the beaches in the Vallarta area. Those that seem to linger in the bay at all are very small, often too small to see.

Enjoy!

The snorkelers on our trip in PV in July had some j-fish issues (just had to be careful) but we didn't run across any swimming near shore. We did, however, see some in the water when we tendered in from our Pirate Ship to the beach.

Aloha-

Thank you,

No jelly fish or Sharks on the beaches in Acapulco. Was talking to local fishermen yesterday as I negotiated boat prices... They say the sharks stay away from the bay because of boats and water traffic. My life experience with jelly fish washing up on beaches was mostly around areas affected by red tide "Dead Zone" in the ocean. Florida has a huge problem with that as does a lot of the Gulf Of Mexico. I have never seen dead jelly fish around Acapulco. PLUS this is a major Olive Ridley sea turtle breeding area and they eat jelly fish.

An easy remedy should you get stung by a Jelly fish is After bite. it is commonly used to treat insect bites. It is ammonia and works really well. the other way to get the sting out is naturally porduced by every human being and comes in great amount on a daily/ hourly basis. It is mass produced and readily available need I say more:D

DH was stung in Manzinillo and said it burned but not too bad, he went to the washroom and got a little bit of this ready made solution on a peice of TP and but it on his butt( ok that's where it got him). and no more problems.

Don't worry there is solutions to the problem, just have a great time

According to the International Shark Attack File (the leading recordkeeper of this data worldwide if I'm not mistaken) between the years 1880-2007 there has been 1 shark attack in Nayarit (the county(?) encompassing Puerto Vallarta), that attack was fatal. Naturally the record hasn't been updated yet to include 2008. It occurred in 1972, 35 years ago. I wonder how many hundreds of thousands of people have swam and/or dove in that area in the last 220 years?

I'm going scuba diving there again in October and am not the least bit concerned about sharks.

Unfortunately I don't know where to get data on jellyfish if there is any.

Archived