Panama Canal Railroad Question

JNCRUISEBUMS

• 2 weeks later...

Nancie--we were there in Dec. 2005 (RT, overnight stay in Gatun Lake)and were told the train trip was not accessible for a scooter user. As I remember, nothing was accessible there, mostly because everything was tendered off the ship; thank goodness the transit was so wonderful--we had the best time anyhow.

Kristen

• 1 year later...
Has anyone take the airconditioned domed railroad car in Panama Canal? I have a scooter, it will break down in 5 pieces, but need to have it with me? Thanks! Nancie:cool:

I received the following note after inquiring about accessibility on the railway:

Unfortunately the train is not 100% handicap accessible. The Panama City passenger station and the train are accessible by wheel chair, however the Colon Passenger terminal is not and getting off the train and the station involves two small stairs.

In the past we have had handicap passengers ride the train but it has always been risky getting off the train and the station in Colon, and even though we try to provide the best service possible to our passengers, we cannot guarantee that we will have someone readily available to help load/unload your small mobility scooter.

As for the bus ride I am not sure if the tour operator can accommodate handicap passengers but I am attaching their information.

Aventuras 2000(website)

?ui=2&ik=20dfac082f&view=att&th=12578d76c99e2f1a&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw

Best,

Diego Cordero

Panama Canal Railway Company

Tel.: (507) 317-6070

Cel.: (507)6550-3337

E-Mail: dcordero@panarail.com

http://www.panarail.com

Hope the information is of help,

IndyOracle

Indianapolis, IN

Just noted the entry "B2B PANAMA CANAL 2009 NOVEMBER" on your signature. Would appreciate what you learned that may assist in our upcoming day in port at Colon. I also have a small scooter. Short of hiring a taxi - I have no idea on disabled side trips.

Thanks in advance!

I was there Jan 06. none of the buses were handicap accessible. Luckily for me I'm able to be carried on to a bus by people in my party and I use a manual chair which fit in the storage compartment. We did a tour that took us to one of the locks and portebuelo.

I was there Jan 06. none of the buses were handicap accessible. Luckily for me I'm able to be carried on to a bus by people in my party and I use a manual chair which fit in the storage compartment. We did a tour that took us to one of the locks and portebuelo.

Thanks Steve... my biggest roadblock is getting past the "tour desk" agents on ships - they have no clue - other than to say, "Sorry no handicapped tours are available". Grrrrrr

We lived in Panama from 1975 - 1978 at Ft. Clayton (SCN Radio & TV), and love(d) the country of our memories. Too many years have past - so my recollections may or may not be a reflection of today's conditions.

Thanks Steve... my biggest roadblock is getting past the "tour desk" agents on ships - they have no clue - other than to say, "Sorry no handicapped tours are available". Grrrrrr

I understand that! I usually end up booking my tours thru private operators anyways. Funny one was in Costa Rica i booked a tour thru the cruise to the rainforest that was wheelchair accessible. except the bus ride wasn't found that out after I rolled out to go. It was one they recommended.

I understand that! I usually end up booking my tours thru private operators anyways. Funny one was in Costa Rica i booked a tour thru the cruise to the rainforest that was wheelchair accessible. except the bus ride wasn't found that out after I rolled out to go. It was one they recommended.

I too have a scooter. Do the e-mailing to the cruiselines headquarters ahead of time -- being very specific about length and height on scooter and my capabilities. Then when I get on the ship, I ask them to e-mail vendor to make sure they know the particulars. A long process, but worth it if it works.

In Rhode Island (USA), I was told by the cruiseline that there was no accessible bus to go to the Mansions. By doing some computer search, I found out that 2 blocks from the pier was a bus which ALWAYS has a lift which takes you to the mansions for $1.75. Keep looking and enjoy what you can do. Vicki:)

Archived