New Romantic Dining Venue, Aruba

SanNic44

Many people like a dinner off the ship in Aruba.

A few days ago, my wife and I checked out a brand new restaurant just down the beach from the Flying Fishbone in Savaneta. We met the chef in the morning, when we were out for a walk and he gave us a tour around. It is called The Old Man and the Sea (yes, like the Hemingway novel) and is literally a few dozen yards from FFB.

Last night we took a taste. My wife ordered one of the "small plates," beef tips with fried oysters. This was too exotic for me but she said it was "amazing." She wishes they would offer it as an entre. I had tostones de pollo, a wide slice of fried plantain with shredded chicken in a mild red sauce on top. Very, very good, and something different for me. The Reverend Gibson enjoyed a penne pasta with shrimp, and his wife, the lovely Gloria, dined on the lamb. All dishes were good and prices were lower than the neighboring famous restaurant.

They're not officially open yet, as they work out a few last kinks. The owner told us she expects to be open for regular business on 19 August. I hope so for many reasons: 1) The FFB needs some competition, 2) I can walk there in a few minutes and have my Jack/Sodas, 3) The setting is awesome, 4) The food is good and the chef a friendly, accessible guy.

Check out my blog for daytime photos. Soon I'll put up more taken in the evening.

Archived