Aer Lingus Questions

ldb2

Good Morning!

I am looking ahead to our Nov. 2009 TA cruise so I know it is too early to book yet, but am pondering our options ahead of time, so that I can book as early as possible once the flights for November become available. (I am going to be using Aeroplan points to fly from Calgary to whichever departure point we leave from for our TA flight; then back from Miami at the end of the cruise, so will need to book those ASAP to get 2 FF tickets with decent flights). Anyhow, I know Greatam in particular seems very familiar with Aer Lingus, but would appreciate comments from anyone who has used them for east-bound one way transatlantic flights.

I am looking at possibly flying JFK to Milan a couple of weeks prior to our cruise and doing some touring of Italy from there, or alternately flying into Venice from either JFK or ORD, although the connection time to Milan is much shorter; as well there are daily flights into Milan Linate whereas flights to Venice only fly on certain days. How is Aer Lingus when it comes to on time flights and lost luggage problems? Of course most reviews one reads only cover negative experiences, those with positive experiences are probably a lot less likely to post reviews. How is the "comfort" issue as far as legroom, etc. in economy? (I don't care a bit about the in-flight entertainment as we hopefully will be able to get some sleep on the flight). How about meals? (yes, I love to eat!). The flights, as they are scheduled right now, have about a 2 hr. 5 minute connection time - is this more than adequate in Dublin? And finally, what is the procedure for making a connecting flight in Dublin? Is luggage checked straight through, and are there customs/immigration to clear when one is not doing a stopover there?

Thanks for your patience with all my many questions - and thanks to everyone for all of their valuable information on these boards!

Laurie

We flew Aer Lingus to Dublin last month with a return from Shannon. I thought the service was very good and the food was also very good for airline food. Video screens in seatbacks with a fiar number of movie choices. I would fly them again.

Good Morning!

I am looking ahead to our Nov. 2009 TA cruise so I know it is too early to book yet, but am pondering our options ahead of time, so that I can book as early as possible once the flights for November become available. (I am going to be using Aeroplan points to fly from Calgary to whichever departure point we leave from for our TA flight; then back from Miami at the end of the cruise, so will need to book those ASAP to get 2 FF tickets with decent flights). Anyhow, I know Greatam in particular seems very familiar with Aer Lingus, but would appreciate comments from anyone who has used them for east-bound one way transatlantic flights.

I am looking at possibly flying JFK to Milan a couple of weeks prior to our cruise and doing some touring of Italy from there, or alternately flying into Venice from either JFK or ORD, although the connection time to Milan is much shorter; as well there are daily flights into Milan Linate whereas flights to Venice only fly on certain days. How is Aer Lingus when it comes to on time flights and lost luggage problems? Of course most reviews one reads only cover negative experiences, those with positive experiences are probably a lot less likely to post reviews. How is the "comfort" issue as far as legroom, etc. in economy? (I don't care a bit about the in-flight entertainment as we hopefully will be able to get some sleep on the flight). How about meals? (yes, I love to eat!). The flights, as they are scheduled right now, have about a 2 hr. 5 minute connection time - is this more than adequate in Dublin? And finally, what is the procedure for making a connecting flight in Dublin? Is luggage checked straight through, and are there customs/immigration to clear when one is not doing a stopover there?

Thanks for your patience with all my many questions - and thanks to everyone for all of their valuable information on these boards!

Laurie

You may also want to consider 'Fly Zoom' who are now flying YYZ/Toronto - FCO/Rome for a decent (one way) price. Anyway, Aer Lingus gets pretty decent reviews, and is one of the only major European airlines that does cheap one-ways across the pond. Also, I'd check your routing into Milan. Few internaltional airlines serve LIN/Milan Linate. You'll find most of them fly into MXP/Milan Malpensa.

Good Morning!

Laurie

Flew Aer Lingus LAX-DUB-ROM.

Was very happy with food and services - especially at the price. Even if I had paid a couple of hundred more, I would have been very happy.

Checked my bag through from LAX to ROM and it made it. Yea!

My DUB connection was around 4 hours and I had more than sufficient time to make my second flt. Once you are in the domestic terminal be sure and have a cup of coffee at the coffee bar as you will get a complimentary Butler's chocolate.Yummy. If you don't drink coffee, plz ignore.

The aircraft DUB-ROM was very nice.

The experience was so good, the next time I needed a transatlantic flt I also used Aer Lingus ROM-DUB-LAX.

Thank you all! It's good to know that you were please with Aer Lingus' service and had no issues with them.

Scottbee: I have looked into Zoom and would actually prefer to fly with them as a) we would not have to worry about customs/immigration into the US as we could fly from Toronto or Montreal without going to a US departure point and b) a friend flew with them last fall and was very happy with both the price and the service. However our cruise departs Rome on Nov. 18th and Zoom's latest flight to Rome leaves Oct. 30/09 (They already have their schedule posted) so that would mean leaving almost a week earlier than we had planned on. Mind you, if we could both get that much vacation time, I would certainly leave that early. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Archived