River Tubing in Cabecar Land Tour?

JewelT

I see this listed as an excursion for RCI in Costa Rica...it is described as floating down the Estrella river in the Cabecar indigenous area in floats for 2 people.

Looks interesting! Anyone done this one or have any information?

Thanks!:p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We will be cruising on RCCL Jewel of the Seas in December 2008, and are considering the Cabecar River Tubing excursion as well!

Has anyone taken this excursion and can tell us anything about it?

Just "bumping up" the thread...any information would be appreciated!! And thanks everyone, for keeping us all "in the know!";)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We did this excursion (through Royal Caribbean) in January. Overall we had a fun time, but it was not quite what I expected. There was a fair amount of white water (not real fierce rapids) but I had kind of pictured this tour as more of drifting leisurely in a current than rapids. If you are concerned/scared about rapids this tour would not be a good choice.

The guides were outstanding. It is a very long, but scenic bus ride. There was a naturlist on board who provided interesting commentary along the way. The bus driver pulled off to the side for pictures when the naturlist spotted a family of monkeys. Then we arrived at a Dole banana plantation and exited the bus and boarded a wagon that was pulled by a tractor for through down a narrow path to the area where the river is located. It was kind of cool looking at the Banana plantation. The toal drive time was over two hours each way (incouding the time on the bus and wagon).

The river tubes are for two people; you sit side by side and your legs are extended but your back is upright. They are inflatable type tubes, but quite sturdy (I know because we banged into a few rocks and it held up fine). You wear a helmet and life vest and each person has a paddle (there are many spots you need to use the paddle). There were three guides and about 16 guests. The guides spread out and were quick and friendly in terms of helping out if you got stuck on a rock (which happens from time to time in the shallow areas). One of the guides even found an edible local fruit from which chocolate is made and broke it open and allowed people to sample it (very tasty). The guides were not quite fluent in English, but knew enough that everybody could understand one another OK.

Although the blurb on Royal Caribbean says lunch is provided, it is more of a light snack. There was pineapple, watermelon, star fruit, and fruit juice - that was it. I was pretty hungry by the time we arrived back to the ship. We arrived back with plenty of time to do a little shopping at the flea market near where the ship docks.

I would recommend this excursion if you enjoy action type activities (i.e. zip lining, ATVs) but not to someone looking for a tranquil experience. Also keep in mind that between the bus ride, wagon ride, excursion, and trip back to the ship it makes for a long day. There is also some element of danger (although nobody was hurt on our voyage, one tube did capsize in one of the rapids).

• 6 months later...

Anyone tried this tour recently?

I've been trying to book a white river rafting tour with any independent without success. They need at least 6 people to book on Nov 26. At this point my option may be this excursion.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Archived