Dilemma...Please help

4bunns

Aloha everybody, My wife and I are planning a 7 day POA NCL cruise plus a 4 or 5 day stay in Hawaii. We have never been to Hawaii and don't know where would be the best place to spend the 4 or 5 days. Could some of you experienced Hawaii travelers give us some good advice. Thank you in advance:D

Go to a local book store or library and read the Revealed books (Oahu, Maui, Kaui, and Hawaii), or go to their web site: http://www.wizardpub.com/main/home.html . The books are very informative with lots of pictures and informed opinions. Between Wizard pub and this board, you'll be able to figure out what you like. Some people love Waikiki, others hate it - so it's important for you to read about the different places and figure out if you would like it.

Happy travels!

Each of the main Hawaiian islands has their own personality. Our first trip there (land-based) we were lucky enough to have a week to spend a little time on all 4 of the major islands and get a taste of each one. I second the wizardpub books for great informative content. I've even emailed the authors and gotten a prompt reply directly!

Of the four main (I have not yet visited Lanai nor Molokai) islands, Oahu (where Honolulu is) is definitely the most bustling, with the most nightlife opportunities. There are a wealth of museums to visit and places to shop, fine dining and loads of activities.

Kauai is pretty close to the opposite. Once the sun goes down, it's time to listen to the frogs while sipping wine on the lanai or something like that - very peaceful. Kauai is my favorite island because it's so laid back and serene. Except perhaps for the chickens (read the Kauai Revealed book in the section on "hazards" to see what I mean). There are still museums and shopping and things to do, but on a smaller and less hectic feeling pace.

The Big Island seems to me to be to see Mother Nature (or Madame Pele) at work. Not just for VNP but black sand beaches, coffee and mac nut farms, Hi`ilawe and Rainbow falls. There's also world-class sport fishing off the Kona coast.

Maui is the island I have spent the least amount of time on so far but it's a good cross between the fancy hotels and nightlife of Oahu and the serene of Kauai.

If you plan to spend your extra time in Honolulu (on Oahu) but you really don't want the Waikiki atmosphere (we love it!), you might want to consider staying out at Turtle Bay. It's fairly near the Polynesian Cultural Center and seems a world away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki - almost like visiting another outer island. We have made many trips to Hawaii over the years as DH traveled there two to three times a year on business. We have visited all of them including Molokai and Lanai. Each island has its own special charm. You will have a great time on whichever one you choose. Do get copies of the revealed books as others have suggested. They should help with your decision. Aloha!

We've done the islands many times in the past - my husband is from Honolulu - but for us, it's the Big Island that captured our hearts. It offers just about everything that you imagine Hawai'i to be - beautiful beaches with good snorkeling, lush jungles, raging volcanos, water falls and enough room in between to get 'lost' from civilization, if that's your wish. And there's enough civilization if you can make due without a Starbuck o Wallymart hit during your time there.

As RSF suggested, check out the "Revealed" series because the choice of islands is a very personal one - you'll get a different answer from just about everyone here why they preferred one island over another, but for us, Hawai'i no ka oi!

And I'm just the opposite of Spikesgirl. I LOVE Hawaii (the state - not the island) and have been there many, many times. But the Big Island is my least favorite by a longshot.

I'm not saying this to "dis" Spikesgirl (really, Spikesgirl - I promise!!!). I'm saying this to emphasize her point. It is important to learn about the islands and what is on each that might appeal to you.

fyi - I would opt for Maui - and if you could add another couple days, I'd spend a couple days in Waikiki too. But, that's just me.

So tell us...what do you want your island experience to be? What do you want to see? Do? What's most important to you? When are you going? Maybe we can give you a bit more information to help you in your decision.

Hi everybody,

I really appreciate all of your comments!!!! They are great!!! I little more info on us:D Shelly and I are in our early 50's we have two DD's and one GD. We always talked about going to Hawaii, but never went. We love cruising as you can see, but Hawaii is a place we both want to go. We have so far two other couples interested in going and I'm planning for June of 2010. I know it is early, but I like to plan everything out. I think we will do all the touristy things like the Arizona, Diamond Head, Polynesian Cultural Center etc. I'm wondering where is the best Luau and what would my best option for flying from PA?

I'm not sure which part of PA Lehighton is, but if Newark NJ is within driving distance, check Continental for a non-stop flight. The times we've flown (from the Washington DC area) usually have us changing planes in the middle of the country (Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Chicago... once at LAX). It's convenient to have a place to change since we've always gone in winter. If you need to make a stop, we found it much easier to stop on the west coast, effectively breaking the flight segments into two 5-(ish) hour parts. We did the non-stop to Newark from HNL once and I slept pretty well. The bad part about that one was the teeny little jaunt from Newark to BWI. Our layover was longer than that flight.

Hi Kikkycat,

Lehighton is about 2 1/2 hrs from Newark. We sometimes fly out there to go on cruises. We live in the lower portion of the Poconos, Northeastern PA. I wonder how Hawaian Airline prices are?

Since you aren't going to Hawaii for a while, you'll have the luxury of watching the rise and fall of airfares. We went in 2003 and spent ~$800 round trip on American (April) from the west coast. This past year (May/June) we paid ~$450 round trip on Hawaiian. We were just lucky and decided to buy tickets when Hawaiian was running a special. Right now the fares on both airlines are about the same - $800 - 1000.

Over the last 40 years we've been to Hawaii about 10 times - been to Oahu and Maui the most, but have also spent time on Kaui, Hawaii, and Molokai. I love them all for different reasons - that's why I suggested the Revealed books so you can see what there is on each island. 40 years ago we tried to cram in too much and visited 3-4 islands each time. Now we go to only two islands at a time and try to spend about one week on each. That way we get to relax, spend a lot of time in the water, but still have time left over for hikes, car tips, and sightseeing.

All of the islands have beautiful spots and isolated beaches - the Revealed books are changing that, but even with them, off the beaten places are pretty empty.

Is Hawaiian airlines expected on the east coast? I checked their website, and they're a growing presence on the west coast but the only airport east of the Mississippi is Cleveland, OH.

My "shhhh" tip on Kauai. Your ship will dock on the south shore. Make sure you get to the North Shore (Princeville/Hanalei/Ke`e Beach) because IMHO that is the most beautiful part of the island. Please say aloha to my heart - it lives there at Hanalei Bay.

Hi 4bunns,

Me, my daughter, and my grandson are booked on POA on 4/4/09, but have also added 5 days on Oahu prior to the cruise. We found a great little cottage right on Chun's Reef on North Shore, and are so excited to be going there! The cottage has a balcony overlooking this beautiful beach, you can sometimes see whales breech right from your balcony, as well as sea turtles. The lady who rents it includes all kinds of watertoys. We opted for this rather than a hotel room in Waikiki, and I hope we made the right choice. I think we did, the pictures she sent us look like paradise! This will be our first time in Hawaii also, so we are really thankful for the extra 5 days to relax and get to explore Oahu.

I also highly recomment the Revealed books. (We get them for pennies on Amazon, slightly used.) They are packed with tips!

So, 4bunns, I'm not an experienced traveller, but I just wanted to tell you what we were doing in case Waikiki doesn't sound good to you. Like everyone said, it's all about what you're looking for. Hope you have a great trip!

tjn,

That's sounds like a really cool place make sure you let me know how you make out after you go. Everybody is telling me about the revealed books, I will certainly make a purchase. Best of luck and have a great trip!

Aloha everybody, My wife and I are planning a 7 day POA NCL cruise plus a 4 or 5 day stay in Hawaii. We have never been to Hawaii and don't know where would be the best place to spend the 4 or 5 days. Could some of you experienced Hawaii travelers give us some good advice. Thank you in advance:D

4bunns: I would stay in Oahu since you're already going to be on the Island. It's true that all of the other Islands have plenty to offer and have other distinct differences between them. I've been to majority of the Islands and did the roundtrip from Honolulu last year on POH ship. I'm giving you my opinion due to more of a convenience factor and cost since you'll be in Honolulu. When you cruise you'll be on Maui for 1.5 days, 1.5 days on Big Island, and 1 day in Kauai. I know it's a brief stay but I know you'll end up going back to the other Islands some day. And as you already know, that Oahu has so many things you can do as you already made a comment earlier. I'd stick with Oahu pre or post cruise and enjoy your cruise and Hawaii trip regardless!

I guess it all depends what you like to do. rest or site seeing...

Personally, i'm not much for Honolulu... big city, big city feel... although, there are nice areas, and a lot to do... Arizona memorial, Polynesian Cultural center, museums, Diamond head, etc

I like Maui... smaller... more restful and quiet. I know my neighbor usually goes to Maui... this year he went and spent a week on Kauai and loved it. I also like the Big Island (Hilo or Kona)...

Hi 4bunns,

Me, my daughter, and my grandson are booked on POA on 4/4/09, but have also added 5 days on Oahu prior to the cruise. We found a great little cottage right on Chun's Reef on North Shore, and are so excited to be going there! The cottage has a balcony overlooking this beautiful beach, you can sometimes see whales breech right from your balcony, as well as sea turtles. The lady who rents it includes all kinds of watertoys. We opted for this rather than a hotel room in Waikiki, and I hope we made the right choice. I think we did, the pictures she sent us look like paradise! This will be our first time in Hawaii also, so we are really thankful for the extra 5 days to relax and get to explore Oahu.

I also highly recomment the Revealed books. (We get them for pennies on Amazon, slightly used.) They are packed with tips!

So, 4bunns, I'm not an experienced traveller, but I just wanted to tell you what we were doing in case Waikiki doesn't sound good to you. Like everyone said, it's all about what you're looking for. Hope you have a great trip!

tjn,

can you email me the info on your Chun's reef cottage? where/how did you find it? My family of 6 is booked for Feb 2010 and we want to stay somewhere on the North Shore 3 or 4 nights after our cruise. Ive looked and emailed several at VRBO but have not received any replies? My email is kas548@aol.com

any info is appreciated!!!

thanks!!!!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60647-d252303-r5531789-Ke_Iki_Beach_Bungalows-Haleiwa_Oahu_Hawaii.html

will this help?

tjn,

can you email me the info on your Chun's reef cottage? where/how did you find it? My family of 6 is booked for Feb 2010 and we want to stay somewhere on the North Shore 3 or 4 nights after our cruise. Ive looked and emailed several at VRBO but have not received any replies? My email is kas548@aol.com

any info is appreciated!!!

thanks!!!!

4bunns: I would stay in Oahu since you're already going to be on the Island. It's true that all of the other Islands have plenty to offer and have other distinct differences between them. I've been to majority of the Islands and did the roundtrip from Honolulu last year on POH ship. I'm giving you my opinion due to more of a convenience factor and cost since you'll be in Honolulu. When you cruise you'll be on Maui for 1.5 days, 1.5 days on Big Island, and 1 day in Kauai. I know it's a brief stay but I know you'll end up going back to the other Islands some day. And as you already know, that Oahu has so many things you can do as you already made a comment earlier. I'd stick with Oahu pre or post cruise and enjoy your cruise and Hawaii trip regardless!

Hey thanks cruieman40 I do have a couple of questions. When you did the roundtrip what side of the ship was facing the volcano? I'm in the process of picking a room and I want to be on the best side of the ship. I usually like to do a lot of things when on vacation so we will probably be staying on Oahu after the cruise..but I could be swayed;) Can anybody sway me:eek:

I'm sure that most folks who are considering staying on the North Shore during the winter months already know this but I wanted to point it out for those who might not know it, that's when the surf is the highest. The winter months are when the famous Bonzai Pipeline forms up on the North Shore.

It is not just the north shore of Oahu that has the strong, high waves, the north shore of all the islands have the higher surf. The snorkeling trips on Maui stay south of Napili, etc.

I just wanted to point this out for those who are wanting to spend time on the beach and snorkeling from their hotel, etc. Your beach time may be limited if you are staying on a northern beach during winter months. Be sure to research the surf at the beach your staying at - especially if you're staying somewhere without a pool available and water activity is important to you.

NOT trying to dissuade anyone from staying on the North Shore. Watching the surfing up there in the winter is great. Just don't want anyone to take their kids up there and have them get into trouble in the water if they weren't expecting high surf.

Archived