Welcome Back 10/20 Star Cruisers

seashore

Hey Seashore,

Fully intended to write a review yesterday 10/20 for NCL Star's Mexican Riviera, but wound up taking a nap. We only did one excursion which was the canopy adventure in Puerto Vallarta. There was an open-air truck ride one-hour each way that let us see the countryside and then we dawned harnesses with pullys on them and slid from platform to platform in these giant trees in the jungle. Heights were from 45 to 90 feet.

I would highly recommend this if you are adventurous! But you must sign up immediately because it books up before people even hit the ship.

Pros on the ship:

VERY friendly, service-oriented staff.

Great entertainment: Bud Andersen, comedian and Shawn Farquahar, magician as well as a dance company and others. Entertainers mingled well with the crowd.

Food was very good at main restaurants and we heard fantastic at specialty restaurants.

Nice clean, modern, luxurious ship. Beautiful cherrywood cabin.

Plenty of activities.

Great kids program and kids pool area.

Outstanding gym and spa.

Cons on the ship:

Main buffet area was jammed all the time because so much space has been dedicated to dining options, they had to put some main throughways through the buffet area.

Pros on the trip:

Weather was fantastic! 80 degrees and sunny the whole time.

We actually participated in the free-throw contest, ping-pong tournaments and sexy legs contests. I highyl suggest getting involved to maximize the fun factor. It really added a lot to the cruise!

Enjoyed the beautiful clear beach in Cabo - rented jey skis and toured the whole area.

NCL seems to cater to a pretty classy crowd - nobody got too drunk and everybody was courteous and friendly.

Cons on the trip:

We had to miss Zihuatanejo because of tropical storm Lester. The itinerary was reversed to avoid the storm. Captain said there wasn't time to hit Zihua but nobody could figure out why.

Crowd was a lot older than what I experienced on my two previous cruises, Carnival Triumph and Disney Wonder. They were a little subdued during hairy chest contest but perked up a little for the sexy legs contest.

Really, the destinations are dirty with LOTS of relentless vendors. In Cabo San Lucas on the beach we didn't go more than 30 seconds without being asked to buy some Mexican trinket of some type. Anyone who takes this trip must be aware that they willl be ATTACKED by DESPERATE street vendors at every stop!! I kid you not.

Well, my brain is still a bit fuzzy because it's the first day back. I may actually get around to writing a formal review in the next week or so.

Shiprat

Thanks Shiprat!! Sounds wonderful. I expect the "attack" in Mexico - it's always been like that when I've gone.

I agree...participating in the ship's activities really makes for a wonderful time to me. Some people want to go and just relax, but usually I need a vacation after my vacation...*smile*

Thanks again!! Get some rest,

Emi

Archived