Pregnancy, Cruising, and Insurance

eki

Hi Everyone,

My DH/family want to book a last minute cruise in September and I just found out that I'm pregnant! My question is - I would be 10 weeks at the time of sailing, and I was very sick with my first two. (I'm hoping to gets meds for this one, if I'm sick.) Do you know if there is insurance that would cover cancellation in case my morning sickness is too bad? (I know we should really wait to book - but this is the only time we can take vacation - so it's either now or never basically.)

Thanks so much!

eki and little bean!

I dont think the insurance covers morning sickness only cancellations do to verified medical problems. However, if you were able to get your OB to write a note stating you couldnt travel because of sickness, that might work. I too am pregnant and was sick horribly the first trimester. We are sailing when I will be 22 weeks. Finally I am well enough to sail. I cant imagine being that sick and being on a cruise ship. Although each pregnancy is different, I had no sickness with my first and lots with this one.

Just make sure you get insurance, we had to cancel one because I had a miscarriage a few days before sailing when I was 10 weeks, you just never know what can happen that early on.

The best thing might be to call the travel insurance company and ask what they will cover and what documentation is needed to cancel.

You'll need to read the fine print. But the last several policies I purchased specifically excluded pregnancy, even if you bought the policy while any preexisting conditions were waived.

I also just checked my policy for my January 2009 cruise and under Exclusions it specifically states that pregnancy is excluded from coverage for any reason.

Archived