March Break Advice

In May we went on Mariner of the Seas. Loved it. You can find the lengthy review on Cruise Critic if you search a bit.

Anyway, we enjoyed it so much we've booked another cruise on The Independence for March Break. Problem is, I have some worries the huge amount of kids will detract from the experience. Not for us, but for our kids. In May there were so few children, our 10 and 13-year-old had great attention from the leaders and a phenomenal time. There were no waits for anything, the facilities were available to them when they wanted and the kids' areas weren't mayhem. But during a school break when there are 1,000 kids aboard ... well ... I wonder if it's going to pale by comparison.

If anyone has done a March Break cruise with kids on one of the giant ships, could they offer some insight about whether my concerns are warranted or totally misguided.

It is what you make it. We did a 7 day Disney cruise in March 2007 (spring break). Before the boat even set sail I was ready to toss some kids overboard. However, once I found the adult only areas I was in heaven.

Yes, most likely there will be lots of children, and yes the pools will look like kid soup, but take cover in the solarium, enoy a cold beverage and be glad that none of the little brats are yours! Seeing how other children are raised and behave makes me so thankful for mine. (I just have to remember this, however, when she starts misbehaving!)

We also did a spring break trip on the Vision this year. My DD was 12 and no problem with the acitivities. She met lots of friends and still talks to them by e-mail and text messages regularly. I think the more children that are on the ship the more fun your kids will have.

Archived