Star Blown off Track on 10-12 Cruise

Gastronimike

Just back from the most recent Mexican Riviera cruise. Due to a tropical storm off the coast near Acapulco, the ship reversed its itinerary but skipped Zihuatenejo and cut short the stay in Acapulco. Residents of Acapulco said they got rain but no wind, so it looks like NCL was avoiding the threat of a storm -- that's a good thing, though many saw it differently.

If you're about to cruise on the Star, there's good news about the food: it's a whole lot better than has been reported by previous cruisers. Only real problem was too much salt. The staff in the Versailles dining room is decent (spotty service at times, but good overall). I ate most meals there and liked it better than the TexMex restaurant and a whole lot better than the buffet (except that the fresh fruit station almost makes the buffet worthwhile). The outdoor barbecues were fun but the food was mediocre; however the grilled pork ribs were a treat. The bar drinks were decent, but make sure you carefully tell your waiter if you don't want an expensive plastic souvenir glass.

The ship was spotless and the room stewards were very unobtrusive. There are too many announcements on how to waste your money on board, but it's easy to ignore them. Only a few things on board don't involve gambling, drinking and otherwise spending your money, so be sure to take a good book if financing NCL is not your thing. Lots of live music on the ship, of which I recommend the guitarist/singer in the Red Lion pub. Most of the shows were decent but not memorable; the comedian was very good and the magician put on an outstanding close-up (card tricks) show.

I took no ship tours and probably enjoyed the ports more than those who were on tours. Biggest recommendation -- walk to the Acapulco old town after dark (skip the hokey touristy folkloric show on the ship); you'll actually be in Mexico rather than in a chamber of commerce Mexico pageant.

Embarkation and disembarkation were painless. It took half an hour for the checkin (the biggest line was for the photographer); some people who arrived by bus said they had to wait for a half hour before they could get off the bus. On the return trip, I was at the airport by 10 am.

- Mike

Thanks for this report. Glad to have the food update.

Any further info u can share on Apapulco nitelife would be appreciated. Is the old town you are recommending a different area from where Paradise (ship's tour) goes? How can one find out where the "no-go" areas might be? Is there good info available on teh ship or are they out to sell you the tours so you are taken care of?

Mike! Thanks a ton for the nice report. We knew you all went backwards and skipped Zihua/Ixtapa. I would be bummed about that because I've "always" wanted to go there, but it wouldn't have ruined the trip. It is always better to be safe than sorry, that's for sure.

Thanks for the tips!!

Emi

John,

There are two Acapulco ship-tour stops that are an easy walk from where the ship docks: the fort is directly across the street, and the old town flea market is ten blocks away (get a ship map because another flea market is in a rough area of town.) I'm not certain, but I think the paradise tour goes to a completely different area. The cliff divers are within two or three miles, and several people from my cruise hiked there and back just for the exercise. If you turn right on the sidewalk after leaving the ship, within ten blocks you'll see and smell fresh fish being sold on the beach. The old town has a lot of families hanging out and enjoying the evening; I saw a few restaurants but no big clubs and bars, but I wasn't really looking for that type of nightlife.

Basically, if you turn left at the sidewalk you'll be in a fairly decent area. I'd only go right during daylight hours, and then I'd stay close to the main street. It may be easier for most people to take a taxi, even if they're only going a few blocks; otherwise it's an adventure just to run the taxi-driver gauntlet. One other thing, watch for pickpockets outside the ship -- I pulled one pan-handling ten year old's hand out of my pants pocket.

John,

There are two Acapulco ship-tour stops that are an easy walk from where the ship docks: the fort is directly across the street, and the old town flea market is ten blocks away (get a ship map because another flea market is in a rough area of town.) I'm not certain, but I think the paradise tour goes to a completely different area. The cliff divers are within two or three miles, and several people from my cruise hiked there and back just for the exercise. If you turn right on the sidewalk after leaving the ship, within ten blocks you'll see and smell fresh fish being sold on the beach. The old town has a lot of families hanging out and enjoying the evening; I saw a few restaurants but no big clubs and bars, but I wasn't really looking for that type of nightlife.

Basically, if you turn left at the sidewalk you'll be in a fairly decent area. I'd only go right during daylight hours, and then I'd stay close to the main street. It may be easier for most people to take a taxi, even if they're only going a few blocks; otherwise it's an adventure just to run the taxi-driver gauntlet. One other thing, watch for pickpockets outside the ship -- I pulled one pan-handling ten year old's hand out of my pants pocket.

Thank you for the review!!! Will be leaving on the 10/28 sailing and can't wait!!! So great to hear that the food is not that bad! :)

We sailed the Star in August snd I thought the food was good. With the exception of Celebrity they were on par with other lines we've sailed. The Star is a nice ship and we enjoyed it. We thought the entertainment on our cruise was very good,especaillly the last production featuring the Chinese Acrobats. You will have a good time! Bon Voyage!!

Archived