How to pay for my next cruise....

bcs819

No surprises here, for sure.

I think it was 60 minutes who did a segment a coupla years back - or Dateline...one of those... These shrewd enterpreneurs can make more standing on a corner like this than you and I make in a year.

While it's true that there are many who are in desperate need, it's equally true that many are not and are just looking for a way to make money without working at it.

Personally, I don't hand out money on the street to anyone - anywhere. I volunteer at places that feed the homeless, at food banks and other places that serve the needs of the community. If donating, it goes directly to the facility...not to a representative.

I believe it.

I worked in a bank in downtown Portland OR. Everyday we had the same 2-3 "street" people come in to get their panhandled change counted and exchanged for bills. Thirty - forty dollars, a couple times a day.....not bad money.

We started charging them to get their change counted since they didn't have an account with us. They stopped coming in to our bank.

I know there are some people who are really homeless. But some people just have no shame....or pride.

The old Las Vegas joke

A man is approached by a panhandler on the strip.

Panhandler:" Can you spare some money so I can buy medicine for my wife"

Man: " How do I know you won't gamble it?"

Panhandler: " Oh I have gambling money set aside"

BTW bcs did you see my lost friends in Vegas George,Abe, Alex, Andy , Ben?:confused:

NEED HELP...WILL WORK FOR FOOD...FIGHTING AN ADDICTION

Need help paying for my cruise

Will work on my tan while they feed me

Am trying desperately to overcome my addiction ...TO CRUISING...which is why I go to work everyday like a good girl...

Sorry just in a sacastic mood, but really how sad that these people are okay with playing on peoples sympathy and emotions... I mean where do you draw the line?

If I give it for the right reasons then it is OK. A little change out of pocket does not hurt. I have had several people in town tell me they we're very hungry and I took them into a fast food restaurant and paid for their meals.

I agree with the last lady on the video in that karma has a way of balancing thing out.

Back when we had World Youth Day in Toronto like 4 or 5 years ago now. The local news did a story on "shakey lady". This lady would sit out on the streets of Toronto and beg all day, playing of that she had Parkinson's or some other awful disease. Well one day the news films her standing up, walking fine down an alley and getting into some Cadillac or Lincoln vehicle. When they confronted her at her home they got video of her living room, complete with leather furniture and large flatscreen TV up on the wall. I never give money to the street people, you never know where its going to go.

Several years ago a reporter for the Toronto Sun was doing a story on panhandlers. He always saw one woman in the same area (she "owned" those prime panhandling locations) all the time. He decided to interview the panhandlers, and many of them actually earned more money panhandling than working a moderate pay job (not fast food or wage retail). This woman was intriguing to him, so he watched her for a week or more. She would come along, plop down, commence to beg and then move on to the next corner. He eventually found out that a very nice (and expensive) four door sedan would pick her up a block or two away from her initial starting point. He followed the car all the way home to a upper middle class neighborhood. It turned out she lived in a rather nice apartment building with her two sons. He eventually got into the building and followed them right to where they lived. he noted as he got a glimpse in the apartment that the big screen tv was rather nice and the leather furniture looked quite comfortable.....How can a woman who panhandles and says she is poor/destitute live like this...

He wrote his story and found out that this woman and her children were immigrants to Canada, and not only that, they were gypsy's fron Europe. She was a professional panhandler who could easily bring in several hundred dollars a day by simply dressing poorly and playing the role well. She had some very prime locations near where the money was in downtown Toronto. She never worked an honest day in her life. After the story got out, which included published pictures, names, and locations; she was rather angry and had no remorse that she was ripping people off day after day. Since people had read the story in the paper she couldn't do what she did anymore because no one was giving her anything!!!! The locations she frequented were listed, so all of those were blown. The woman and her sons moved out of Toronto because their cover was blown!!!!

This article really highlighted on how panhandlers are deceptive. A street peformer is one thing--sometimes it is to supplement disability pension that isn't quite enough or just simple to make a few bucks more--but panhandlers are not worth it....I work for a living, why can't they!

Back when we had World Youth Day in Toronto like 4 or 5 years ago now. The local news did a story on "shakey lady". This lady would sit out on the streets of Toronto and beg all day, playing of that she had Parkinson's or some other awful disease. Well one day the news films her standing up, walking fine down an alley and getting into some Cadillac or Lincoln vehicle. When they confronted her at her home they got video of her living room, complete with leather furniture and large flatscreen TV up on the wall. I never give money to the street people, you never know where its going to go.

Oh yes. I've seen it myself. We had a "professional" begging at the stop light by a freeway onramp. He was there every day, all day long. One day, I drove to a Starbuck's nearby in the evening, and saw him getting into a very nice car he had parked near the Starbuck's. He wasn't hungry, or homeless. He was a professional begger.

Sadly there are people on the street who truly deserve what we can give them and have found themselves in this situation through circumstances not of their doing. People who just beg to make money keep us skeptics from giving to the truly needy. My sister who lived in Nepal for several years had a policy to only give to lepers who truly could not get work due to physical deformaties or because they are considered social outcasts. We who can afford to go on even one cruise in our lifetime should surely care for those who are in true need.IMO

My daughter, always a champion of the underdog, used to see a guy on a corner on the way to work with a sign, "Hungry, need food". Well, DD doesn't have a pin to her name, but she took her $2.00 lunch money (all she had) to MacDonalds and bought the guy some food, and took it back to him. He didn't want the food, he threw it on the ground....................she went hungry that day because of that jerk. I do not give money...................will help if we can, but no money...........and she doesn't either.....

The "shaking lady" ( I believe she used to live near markham Rd and Eglinton) actually moved to Montreal and continued this lifestyle after the Toronto Sun busted her. No one in Toronto was falling for it anymore.

My daughter, always a champion of the underdog, used to see a guy on a corner on the way to work with a sign, "Hungry, need food". Well, DD doesn't have a pin to her name, but she took her $2.00 lunch money (all she had) to MacDonalds and bought the guy some food, and took it back to him. He didn't want the food, he threw it on the ground....................she went hungry that day because of that jerk. I do not give money...................will help if we can, but no money...........and she doesn't either.....

I did the same thing, once. I usually ignore them, I was on vacation in San Francisco, and there was guy with a sign right outside a convenience store. I didn't have any cash on me, so when I paid for my purchases, I added a hot dog, soda and bag of chips, and gave them to him on the way out. He was not grateful at all, and asked for money so he could add dessert. I learned my lesson....

I was driving my kids down to Disneyland from Seattle.

WE stopped at a gas station in Sacremento.

A lady with a small baby approached me and said her boyfriend had abandoned her and the baby and she just needed money for formula.

I gave her $2-3 and thought I was doing the right thing.

I went inside to pay for my gas. The attendent asked how much I gave her. He said she makes $40-50K each year panhandeling. The worst part is she pays her friend $10 an hour for the use of her baby!

I felt sick.

Archived