internet cafes / digital photos

lsbauer

My DW has talked me into leaving my laptop at home for our Rhine river cruise next month. I generally take a lot of pictures and have used my laptop as a backup for my photos. I have never been to an internet cafe but from some posts in this forum I see that there is usually one near where the ships are docked. Does anyone know, if I have an USB card reader, may I plug it into their computer and upload my pictures to an online storage site?

How do others of you handle keeping your digital pictures safe?

Larry

Larry,

I bring lots of extra memory sticks. It's the best way to make sure you have plenty of memory without bringing a laptop. I have usually found internet cafes along the routes. I'm sure they will be available in Europe. I don't know whether you'll be able to download your pictures at these cafes, maybe someone else knows. Good luck, Tennessee Traveler

Thanks Tennessee. It's not really an issue of having enough memory (cards), it is that I want to have a backup of the pictures in case some disaster befalls the memory cards themselves.

Larry

Larry,

I know what you mean. I'm just so glad that with digital, there's so much more memory and of course, much easier to store the pictures. I always worried when I took 35mm film. Plus you never knew how the shots came out until you got home and had them developed.

Now, I can take many more pictures, bracket them too, and still be able to edit them when I get home to my computer. I haven't picked up my 35mm camera in about 6 years.

I'd like to know how you fared at the internet cafes and what you were able to do in storing your memory cards as you traveled. Thanks, TT

I brought my laptop on our first cruise, then on another trip I just brought memory sticks. I will never leave my laptop at home again. I had 8 Gig of pictures to wade through when we got home the last time. With my laptop with me I can do a day's shoot each day and be able to rest through my jet lag when we get home.

Buck

Here's an easy backup... Take a bunch of blank CD-R (or CD-RW) or DVD-Rs (or DVD-RWs). On the ship's computer, or in an internet cafe, attach your memory card reader or cable, tuck in your blank CD or DVD into the CD/DVD drive, and copy your photos onto the CD or DVD. Label each one with the town (s) or dates of the photos.

I find this method much "lighter" than carrying a laptop.

Archived