i finally figure it out.

stephandjim1070

for all you that are flying to your next port and have to pay for additional bag like i do .. I finally am say thank you to the airlines. why you ask.

I will not be able to overpack. .. yes that is right.

we are flying for jfk to mco in dec. i will pack clothes and shoes only all other stuff i will pick up in orlando the day i arrive. that being said i will have one suitcase for hubby and one for me ... shorts and swim wear is not heavy. dress clothes. might have to use the dry cleaning service on the ship. but hey i am on vaction.....

steph

for all you that are flying to your next port and have to pay for additional bag like i do .. I finally am say thank you to the airlines. why you ask.

I will not be able to overpack. .. yes that is right.

we are flying for jfk to mco in dec. i will pack clothes and shoes only all other stuff i will pick up in orlando the day i arrive. that being said i will have one suitcase for hubby and one for me ... shorts and swim wear is not heavy. dress clothes. might have to use the dry cleaning service on the ship. but hey i am on vaction.....

steph

I agree with you completely. I cut back on our last TA cruise, not enough but I'm learning. Bought shampoo etc in Miami and by the time we were ready to fly home I had very little left. I gave it to the hotel maid. Made both of us happy.

Agreement here...even though our LOS trip is a little over 3 months out, I find myself "thinking" more about what to pack/what to skip and how to "multiple duty" some of our clothes...like right now, I'm thinking a single pair of dress slacks and multiple tops-and the same w/T shirts and shorts...and the other items that in the past were "necessities" that I never used once onboard...I find myself packing "smarter"...and keeping in mind that we're doing a week post cruise with my dad in Florida, and he has these neat little machines called a washer and a dryer, so even though we're away for 2 weeks, I don't have to pack for 2 weeks! ;)

I guess I will be a victim for the airlines as long as I travel. I don't know how to pack light, never could and never will. I have to have choices when I dress in the morning. I am just not the kind of person that can say - oh yah that outfit. I have to think about it. I know this may sound odd. Every single cruise I bring things that I never wear. But I have them in case I want them. I have scaled back in the shoe department though ;)

When I was a kid, my mom was our girl scout troop leader and she took us camping at least once a year. Plus there was summer camp, etc.

The rule, from first grade on, was, "You pack it, you carry it."

I can carry a lot more now than I could when I was seven, and I wish all prosperity and blessings upon whoever finally thought of making the upright wheeled luggage with the heavy-duty wheels, but that tip has stuck with me through the years. And boy, has it come in handy! From a cab that never showed up, to all of the escalators and elevators at our London Underground stops being out of service the day I flew in, to last-minute terminal changes at airports... The day I go away with more than one suitcase (plus a shoulder bag and a backpack, I cheerfully admit) is the day I will smack myself and say my mother sent me, hehe.

Agreement here...even though our LOS trip is a little over 3 months out, I find myself "thinking" more about what to pack/what to skip and how to "multiple duty" some of our clothes...like right now, I'm thinking a single pair of dress slacks and multiple tops-and the same w/T shirts and shorts...and the other items that in the past were "necessities" that I never used once onboard...I find myself packing "smarter"...and keeping in mind that we're doing a week post cruise with my dad in Florida, and he has these neat little machines called a washer and a dryer, so even though we're away for 2 weeks, I don't have to pack for 2 weeks! ;)

I did a "dry pack" a while ago for a 15-night cruise. I figured that's the maximum amount of clothes I will ever take. I packed for myself and DH, and then weighed the suitcases. We were able to get in 26" suitcases that weighed 31 lbs for me, and 35 lbs for him (his jacket is heavy!).

I do packing lists, so I have a generic 15-night list now, and then just change out some of the clothes. But, I've focused on lightweight fabrics, and jackets to add warmth. My shoes are now day sandals, night sandals, and walking shoes.

We've had to pack for international flights, and one on EasyJet, and we rented a Smartcar in the UK, so we had to pack to the smallest we could. Even that was too heavy, so getting us down to 30-ish lbs each is an achievement!!!

Sounds like I used to be - always packed way too much - had to have choices. Then I started motorcycle touring with my SO. Our first trip we did 4 days/3 nights and I had 1 - ONE - Road King saddlebag for my stuff. I did end up buying a tourpack and can take more - but still pretty limited. That taught me how to pack light.

I've already got pretty much my entire wardrobe picked for our Jan 09 cruise - lots of double duty stuff. And we bought tickets on JetBlue before all the new baggage restrictions and costs - so I could bring anything I want almost!

I guess I will be a victim for the airlines as long as I travel. I don't know how to pack light, never could and never will. I have to have choices when I dress in the morning. I am just not the kind of person that can say - oh yah that outfit. I have to think about it. I know this may sound odd. Every single cruise I bring things that I never wear. But I have them in case I want them. I have scaled back in the shoe department though ;)

It took me a few cruises, but I finally learned that we do not need a bunch of choices on vacation. I'm not saying it's not nice, it's just such a hassle to haul along all the stuff that isn't ever worn. Then haul it all back home again, having to separate the clean from the dirty.

With smart choices and practise anyone can pack lighter, not even having to forego fashion. It's all in the fabric, choosing lightweight and easy care, the right accessories and leaving home all the shoes you don't really need.

Just recently I was looking at some pics a person posted of their suite bathroom. I don't know if it was here or another site..... that doesn't really matter. What struck me as odd was that the bathroom contained all full sized products on the shelves. It was a forehead smacking moment for me "No wonder people say their toiletries weigh down their luggage so much!" There is available, at most every discount department store or large drug store, or even online for those who live in small towns, travel sizes of anything you may need.

Leave home all the electronic gadgetry you possibly can, take a vacation from your computer and hot rollers, use the cups, pens and paper the ship provides. Rather than pack with the mindset of "what-if", pack just the bare essentials.

The good part is that it does take practise to pack light and make it work, which means more cruises :)

Archived