ID for cruise

cccruzer3

I'm cruising with a few friends in two weeks. Most of us have passports, but two are using their birth certificates and photo driver's license. Does anybody know if Carnival requires that they bring marriage license as well, since their name on the b.c. doesn't match driver's license.

I'm not interested in hearing "it's best that they bring it just in case." I'm trying to find out if people have had it required when they boarded. One of the girls doesn't have easy access to hers, so getting it will be a bit of a hassle. If she doesn't need it, I don't want her to go through a process unnecessarily.

I have cruised with Carnival twice and had no problems. I just took my drivers license and birth certificate. I am sure your friends will not have any problems at all! The only time I had a problem was when I applied for my passport. I took my divorce papers with me just in case they were needed. I was told that they did not need them but 2 weeks later I received a letter stating that they needed the papers showing how my name changed.:rolleyes:

I'm cruising with a few friends in two weeks. Most of us have passports, but two are using their birth certificates and photo driver's license. Does anybody know if Carnival requires that they bring marriage license as well, since their name on the b.c. doesn't match driver's license.

I'm not interested in hearing "it's best that they bring it just in case." I'm trying to find out if people have had it required when they boarded. One of the girls doesn't have easy access to hers, so getting it will be a bit of a hassle. If she doesn't need it, I don't want her to go through a process unnecessarily.

If asked, you must provide continuity. Not everyone is asked but if they do, and you don't have it, you will be delayed while the Immigration folks/DHS check out your verbal information. The following is from the U.S. State Department website.....I've also provided the link:

"Question:

My name on my Birth Certificate does not match my current ID. What should I do?trnsp.gif

Answer:

If you are traveling with your birth certificate to establish citizenship and your name has legally changed since your birth, then you will need to present evidence of your legal name change. If the cause of the name change is marriage, then you will need to provide a copy of your marriage license to document your name change. If there have been multiple name changes, then you will need to present evidence showing the trail of name changes, including divorce decrees, previous marriage licenses, etc.

If your name change is a result of other activities, such as adoption or court authorized name change, then you will need to present legal documents that identify you by both your birth name and new name.

You might want to consider getting a passport, which would eliminate the need to travel with all this paperwork."

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=713&p_created=1069868067&p_sid=P7c5YVaj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=74&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NDUsNDUmcF9wcm9kcz0yMyZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PTEuMjMmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWJpcnRoIGNlcnRpZmljYXRlIGlkIG1hcnJpZWQgd29tZW4*&p_li=&p_topview=1

To answer your question the way you want it done. No..Carnival does not require you to have your marriage license if you are using your birth certificate to board the ship. You can call Carnival to confirm this, if you are still unsure. ;)

Is this true also for the Mexican Riviera. I dont want to spend 400 on passports right now if i dont have to, but my husband is freaking out cause he thinks we will get to the ship and they will ask for it and not let us board. But i told him i went to the passport website and it says they are not required until June 2009. We have 2 kids and us thats why i am thinking 400.

Thanks for the anwers. Sounds like they'll be okay with just their B.C. and photo I.D.

I, for one, find a passport much easier than bringing along all the extra documentation, but for someone who probably will cruise only once, on a 4 nighter, I can't justify telling them to spend all that money. If they find they enjoy cruising, then they will probably go for a passport.

Carnival does not require you to have your marriage license if you are using your birth certificate to board the ship.

True, Immigration sets the requirements not Carnival.

All you need is

1. Passport

OR

2. Birth Certificate AND photo ID

Must be a state issued birth certificate not one from the hospital.

I'm trying to find out if people have had it required when they boarded. One of the girls doesn't have easy access to hers, so getting it will be a bit of a hassle. If she doesn't need it, I don't want her to go through a process unnecessarily.
Generally, the answer is no, married women don't need the marriage license. But on occasion it has been required. If port security/threat level is increased, then she will need it. Or if her first name is different. Or if something else odd triggers increased scrutiny. If she has it, she will have no problem. But chances are 99% that she won't be asked. Its up to her to decide if she likes those odds or not.

It's nice that you don't have to have a passport until 6/09.

But, it's also worth the $100 for the peace of mind.

One thing I've done is buy passports for my adult children for their birthdays. I'll be buying my 26 year old son his passport next month and when it returns, I'll put his passport and his cruise itenirary for 2/09 in a box for a Christmas gift!

If you can't afford to spend the $100 for a gift, then get several relatives or friends together to pay for it.

After all, someday we will ALL need them.

Archived