Europe July vs August?

fpat

In traveling to Europe does anyone have an idea if July is more popular than August or would you say they are about the same? As far as crowds Cruise deals and price of cabin as well as using miles for air travel?

Would you say about the same or do more tavel in July VS August?

I'm not sure about deals or costs but I believe that a lot of Europeans take vacation in August and some of the shops and restaurants may be closed. In planning our Western Mediterranean cruise for July 2007, I noticed that a lot of the restaurants were closed for two weeks in August.

It all depends on where in Europe, Northern, Baltics, Adriatic or Southern.

There is a saying that there are more foreigners in Paris, in August than Parisians. Been there. Done that, in August., I concur.

It can also be miserably hot in the Adriatic and Mediteranian counries in late July- August.

May- early June and September-October are the most comfortable seasons to travel.

In traveling to Europe does anyone have an idea if July is more popular than August or would you say they are about the same? As far as crowds Cruise deals and price of cabin as well as using miles for air travel?

Would you say about the same or do more tavel in July VS August?

Using miles can be a crap shoot anytime but winter, honestly... and even then. We just cashed in miles to go to Rome next June for a Med. cruise. We had to pay the premium with miles. SO, if you are talking Delta miles, you can get seats anytime you practically want if you have the high end miles... but I would decide and book now because the skymile seats go quick. I had to book the day they opened up the schedules. 331 days out from your return date.

We have cruised the Med. twice in September. It is gorgeous! Next year we are going the first part of June. The crowds are going to be heavy during all the Med. cruises and especially when school is out. It is just a fact. BUT.... they are the best cruises that I have ever been on. Personally, I would go in September again, even over my June sailing... but I just can't wait that long:D

And your best prices for cruises is kinda the same way as air travel... book when they open. I know my cruise has gone up $300 per person now. Take a look at all the options. There are many cruising the Med now. Are you traveling with kids? I have gone twice on the Brilliance of the Seas and I have to say it would be hard to beat that ship...

As far as weather... I think it is going to be pretty warm either way. If July and August are your only months you can go, I wouldn't worry about it and just find the best price. Greece was still VERY hot in September when we went. On the other hand... if you are going to the Baltics, July would be my pick. We just got back on the 28th, and the crew even told us that it was the best weather cruise you can pick. It was gorgeous and calm and in the 70's. But, with that said, I would never pick the Baltics over the Med. now that I know:)

Good luck planning!!!

Thanks for all the responses we are thinking of switching our Princess Cruise to Greece for either HAL noordam or Azamara quest, we are just looking at our options and I appreciate all the input. The air and using my miles for what I want is one of the biggest challenges for me in prime time.

Just to throw it out there any of you cruise the Med in April? How was the weather?

August 2007 we cruised Jewels of Europe on the Rotterdam. London and Paris was cool. Spain, Italy, Croatia, Turkey ,and Greece was HOT. I live in the New Orleans area, It felt like home to me. It was crowded everywhere we went , I loved it. I may never get back to Europe again, so I enjoiyed every squeezed of the crowed, and said thank God, I lived another day.

Cely

Just to throw it out there any of you cruise the Med in April? How was the weather?

We have cruised the Med in April, May, July, Sept, and Oct .. by far the best for us was May as the weather was very nice and everyone in shops were fresh. Oct was late and things were closing down. July was hot as blazes and ports such as Santorini were almost unbearable.

I would never cruise Med in August as that is, as mentioned by others, when everyone takes vacation .. so, if you go to the Greek Isles, you will see the population almost doubled in most ports due to the influx of vacationing Europeans.

harry

Archived