Empress of China Restaurant in SF

ekeberg

Can anyone tell me if this is a good restaurant in China Town?

Celebrity has a tour that includes dinner at this restaurant, but it is very expensive so I want to see how good this restaurant is before I book the tour.

Thanks

Lynn

I can't say I've ever eaten here and it has never been recommended to me. It isn't in the top 100 restaurants recommended, or in Frommer's etc. I would avoid it.

I don't quite understand the desire to take a tour in San Francisco - particularly that includes a restaurant. San Fran is a tiny city, very easy to navigate. We are big into culinary delights - and there are so many excellent choices; I would also fear a restaurant stop on a tour might mean a limited menu from which to select. This is way too fun a town to miss out on an awesome dining experience.

For authentic Chinese - if you want Dim Sum - check out Yank Sing. Same price - awesome food. For authentic Chinese that is a bargain - check out Henry's Hunan.

Some links for you:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/empress-of-china-san-francisco

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listings/restaurants/basic?cuisine=Chinese&term=&loc=182&sort=orate&Submit=Sort&ord=DESC

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/food/top100/2008cuisine

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/indexdining.cfm?destID=29&mh=1000&directory=sanfrancisco&search_type=&order=SBMC

The Empress is a 'formal' Chinese restaurant. The food is only OK - the decor is upscale compared to the average Chinese eatery. There are so many great restaurants in SF - thats not one I would return to. The restaurants in Chinatown are not fancy. Hunan has good food - but its not an upscale type place.

For great food - and SF atmosphere try the Slanted Door - its now at the Embarcadera. The food is Vietnamese fusion - if you like chinese you will like the choices at the Slanted Door. Just make reservations before you go. My other fav for Asian is Betelnut - it is in a more of a 'neighborhood'. Tropical drinks, locals hanging, and a lot of small plates. And the atmosphere is cool.

Thanks for the information: Is it safe for 2 women to walk around China Town

at night? That is why we were looking at this tour since it was after dark, but like I said before it was very expensive and there was no time for shopping in China Town which I really want to do. Maybe we should just go there late afternoon and then go back to the wharf for dinner?

Thanks again

Lynn

Yes, loads of tourists and residents alike. Many Chinatown markets close early - your best selections will be before 7pm.

Not sure what you want to do for dinner afterwards - but in walking distance and one of my favorite spots - is Belden Place. Its an adorable alleyway that is closed to traffic and filled with outdoor seating (and heaters - inside seating also available) and 10 or so European cafe-style restaurants. It is parallel to Kearny between Pine and Bush.

You will find much better dinner selections away from wharf area which tends to be overpriced and mediocre.

Of course - another block up to Stockton (and I mean UP) is the lovely Ritz Carlton.

Actually - once you finish in Chinatown - consider a short taxi to the Ferry Building. It has lovely shopping and dining (shopping closes early though) - The Slanted Door is an awesome suggestion. But reservations are a must. http://www.opentable.com free online reservation service.

More shopping suggestions- our new Westfield Shopping Center right on Market at 4th - connected to Nordstrom's and the worlds (only or largest, I forget) spiral escalator. Several very good restaurants in here too (Lark Creek Steak, etc.) and the bottom floor has a gourmet market with yummy things to bring back to your hotel along with lovely food selections. There is an "out the door" restaurant with smaller menu than Slanted Door - but same executive chef - reasonable and amazing.

For an experience that offers dining AND a show . . . Teatro Zinzanni at Pier 29 is FABULOUS. It seems expensive at first glance - but a 4-course meal and a Cirque du Soleil (meets comedy) live performance is worth every penny.

Again, reservations needed.

Let me know if you need more tips . . . as you can tell, its my favorite city in the world and I hope you enjoy your visit half as much as we do living here!

Chinatown is worth a visit. Today's (Aug 10, 2008) SF Chronicle has an article based on a book by Shirley Fong-Torres who also runs tours of Chinatown. She recommends for Dim Sum (I did not know before that Dim means "to point to" and Sum means "Heart") Imperial Palace on 816 Washington St. An afternoon visit to Chinatown is better and you can stroll around North Beach (Italian Cafes and Restaurants) which is adjacent and see the Night Club (Topless) area during the daytime. Bus #30 (known as the Stockton Bus) connects Chinatown with Union Square (the shopping Mecca) and is a safe bus but "very" crowded. Chinatown is safe to walk in the evening but is not interesting. The reasons locals don't eat in Chinatown is the hassle and cost of parking.

As people have said - the shops in Chinatown close relatively early. So its better to go earlier in the day. Its safe to walk around - but just be careful about pickpockets on the very crowded buses and streets.

As suggested I would pick a restaurant away from Fishermans Wharf - most are very tourist driven. And San Francisco has such great food. You are safe walking around most of the city. There are a lot of taxis and fares within the city are reasonable. If you have an evening free - check out Beach Blanket Babylon (the Hat Show). Its a fun show - not serious theatre.

Thanks again for all the great information. We are not going to book the cruise tour and instead we are going to go to China Town in the afternoon and then my friend really liked the idea of seeing Ritz Carlton and she would also like to see some of the older hotels that are nice. She said something about the top of the mark?????

The Slanted Door sounded good for dinner so we might they that.

Lynn

Skip Ritz Carlton -- nothing worth seeing. Go to Mark Hopkins (Top of the Mark). Across from Mark Hopkins is Fairmont -- from the Fairmont lobby make your way to the "Outside" Elevator (used to be called Crown Elevator). A great free exciting ride.

then my friend really liked the idea of seeing Ritz Carlton and she would also like to see some of the older hotels that are nice. She said something about the top of the mark?????

Lynn

Ohhhhh, old classic hotels. Also consider the Westin St. Francis and the Sheraton Palace. The St. Francis is on Union Square - may as well take a cable car ride too :)

The Palace is on Market near 3rd (New Montgomery) and they have great historical displays down their main lobby hallway. The doorman at any of the hotels will see to it you get a taxi for your next destinaton.

Top of the Mark is good - the Fairmont is good. But the Ritz, Palace and St. Francis are stylish and classic with emphasis on service and almost make you feel that you are in another time. Classic, lovely - even if just for a champagne cocktail or afternoon tea service (reservations needed.) You might consider popping by 2 or 3 and just doing delectable yummy selections from their lounge. A progressive dinner of sorts allowing you to sample several spots.

as a resident of SF:

I can't speak to the dining experience at Empress of China, but I had cocktails there once years ago and it was so-so. Interesting, as an example of "old school" Chinese restaurant.

Slanted Door maintains a great reputation, but I have to wonder how much of that is hype and momentum? Don't get me wrong, if it were bad, it would not be succeeding as it is....

Yank Sing for dim sum.... yes! Ton Kiang, admittedly off the usual tourist route on Geary in the mid-Richmond district, is also top rate.

All the "Hunans" that "Henry" is affiliated with are great. The chilled eggplant appetizer is one of my all time favorites.

Don't forget Brandy Ho, also for made-to-order Hunan, and "NO MSG EVER." Go for the smoked pork entrees.

Yikes...30 Stockton bus! I've seen snails on the sidewalk zipping along at a faster clip. (and don't believe the urban legend about the local woman who snapped the neck of the chicken she was carrying, because no "live" animals are allowed on city buses. )

How far is Mark Hopkins/Fairmont Hotels from Union Square?

Thanks again for all the information

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Mark Hopkins and the Fairmont are next door to each other at the top of Nob Hill, and Union Square is 1/3 of a mile away... but be aware that 90 percent of that 1/3 mile is a very steep hill. The hotels and Union Square are on the cable car line, but often the cars are so crowded you will have to walk to the car roundabout on Market & Powell (just a few short blocks down from Union Square) and wait in line 30 - 45 minutes to get one.

If you do take the cable cars and other buses consider one of the passes. Tourist pay up for each cable car ride - but a pass lets you ride all the in city transit for a flat fee. The cable car that goes to the Fairmont is the least crowded - it goes up and down California Street. Catch it in front of the Hyatt Regency.

There can be long lines for the other two cable cars - if you can walk a block up or so you may be able to catch one without a long wait in line. Or look into other buses or street cars. Get a map for a couple of bucks from the transit booth or one of the many Walgreens.

If you are into Irish Coffee - the Buena Vista by the wharf is an old standby. It can get very chilly when the winds blow off the bay into the city.

Any suggestions? We've been to Aqua and it was nice but not as over the top as the ratings suggest... maybe we were there on an off night???

For chinese, thoughts on Tommy Toy's? We'll be in SF in 2 weeks for a couple of nights and we're also thinking of Sushi Ran in Sausalito. We've heard great reports on them but the ferry comes back early so we might not make it back:eek: . Other sushi recommendations in SF?

Thanks!

Any suggestions? We've been to Aqua and it was nice but not as over the top as the ratings suggest... maybe we were there on an off night???

For chinese, thoughts on Tommy Toy's? We'll be in SF in 2 weeks for a couple of nights and we're also thinking of Sushi Ran in Sausalito. We've heard great reports on them but the ferry comes back early so we might not make it back:eek: . Other sushi recommendations in SF?

Thanks!

You can't go wrong with any of sultan_sfo's suggestions, that's for sure.

As for Chinese, oh boy, everyone in this town has a different opinion on the best place! I personally think Tommy Toy's is pretty to look at but the food is just average for what they charge. In the category of nice Chinese restaurants I think that Shanghai 1930 is better, though the friend I went to lunch with there, the other day, thought it was just slightly better than PF Chang's. If you like dim sum then Yank Sing is always a good choice, however, they don't take reservations but hand you one of those beeper things when they tell you how long the wait will be.

Now, if you want decent Chinese food without much atmosphere I'd suggest Abacus but it's in the Western Addition, a bit off the beaten track for most visitors.

For Asian fusion Slanted Door (make reservations ASAP) or Betelnut. Dim Sum Ton Kiang on Geary (not a real tourist area). The 'Hunans' are cheap and very good.

Boulevard is always good. For seafood I like Farallon better than Aqua - the decor is fabulous. Crustacean on Polk is in a strange location but I love the garlic noodles and the crab.

For very casual but great seafood - the Swan Oyster Depot - open for lunch and you will wait for a seat.

Archived