Bangkok - Hotel near Patpong

Miss Jolly

Now this mighty seem strange but I am after a recommendation please for a clean, reasonably priced hotel that includes a fantastic buffet breakfast and is located near Patpong. Our family of 4 ( 2 teens) will need a place to sleep and eat in a very hectic touring schedule ...and want to get some great T-Shirts etc at Patpong if time permits. The only way time will permit is if we are already near Patpong. Don't worry, we do know what Patpong is like and are capable of staying in the inside aisles. LOL!

Patpong is considered THE most expensive market in Bangkok. It's designed 100% for tourists and prices are on average 3xs higher than what you'd find in other markets - even higher than in the department stores.

For Ms. Understood's benefit, Patpong is also the centre of the tourist sex industry with loads of gogo bars and upstairs sex shows of the dubious kind. Access is gained through the 'outer aisles' of the night market.

Miss Jolly: if it's shopping for t-shirts that your family wants why not have a look at the Patumwan Princess Hotel - presume it's ok to post a link here..http://www.pprincess.com/ - this is an excellent 4 star hotel with direct access to Mah Boon Kong (MBK) shopping centre where you'll find 7 floors of shops selling everything imaginable in air conditioned bliss. http://www.mbk-center.com/en/

Just the point of view of an expat living in Bangkok but I hope you find it useful.

DH and I (in our fifties) stayed 6 nights in the Montien Hotel on the fringe of Patpong. It's in a quiet cul-de-sac over the road from Patpong market, close to skytrain station, small supermarket and McDonalds. Breakfast buffet was excellent, pool was peaceful and warm, room comfortable, staff friendly. We'd certainly stay there again if in Bangkok www.montien.com

MJ: Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the location of Montien Riverfront is very awkward...it's stuck in the middle of Rama III Road which was touted as the new financial area 10 years ago. A few banks moved their Head Offices there and Montien built their hotel. Since then, nothing has happened in that area. If you stay there you'll have to rely on the hotel's services because there's nothing around that area at all. No shops, no food, no neighbours...only undeveloped empty lots...

I'm not knocking the hotel...it's a fine establishment...just the location...especially for your kids...

That's Ok Klongmaster. On the first night we arrive in to Bangkok airport from Chiang Mai at 11:15pm and will leave after a very early breakfast to go to Angkor Wat. We will then overnight in Angkor Wat and return to the hotel after 9pm. We have decided to spend the next morning just relaxing by the pool until going down to Laem Chabang where our ship leaves at 5pm. We have been to Bangkok before and after our time in Chiang Mai and Angkor Wat we will need some rest. Therefore a nice hotel is important and not the location so much. I appreciate your thoughts though.

Hi Miss Jolly,

What plans do you have for Chiang Mai? We are disembarking at Laem Chabang 14th march 2009, and flying straight to Chiang Mai, where we are staying for 6 nights. I think you will get on the day we get off?

We are yet to work out what sightseeing we will do there and are open to any suggestions, if you have any.

Cheers,

Michele:)

Hi Miss Jolly,

What plans do you have for Chiang Mai? We are disembarking at Laem Chabang 14th march 2009, and flying straight to Chiang Mai, where we are staying for 6 nights. I think you will get on the day we get off?

We are yet to work out what sightseeing we will do there and are open to any suggestions, if you have any.

Cheers,

Michele:)

Hi Michele,

We have booked 2 very exciting days with Sergeant Kai who was highly recommended on TripAdviser. Our days include elephant trekking, tribal markets, tribal villages. monkey cave. Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle, Laos, Myanmar etc. Sergeant Kai has been terrific in exchanging emails to come up with a personal itinerary to suit. If you email me at jennie1@exemail.com, I would be happy to forward on our itinerary and any other details. Just mention cruise critic so I do not delete your message.

I have booked to stay at Dusit Royal princess which had reasonable rates and is located near the night market. I booked through the hotel website.

By the way, we get on the ship on 15th April.

A work colleague stayed in the Montien Riverside and was very impressed with the hotel (that's how we came to stay in the sister hotel near Patpong. The Montien Riverside run a shuttle bus to the Montien, and when we said we'd rather be downtown, he recommended the Montien)

I'm sure you've made the right decision:)

Archived