Volcano ash plume affecting S.E. Alaska ??

gg3

Just saw an article off the national news wire that states the volcano that erupted in the Aleutians, had part of its ash plume sheared off by a wind shear and that the plume would affect S.E. Alaska. How so ??? And does anyone have more specifics. I see that a number of Alaskan Airline flights have been canceled and I do hope this does not affect any of our Alaskan cruisers:( gg

It is affecting flights in and out of Anchorage and is situational. Happens every few years. People will be missing cruise departures and others will be spending a lot of money waiting in Anchorage to get flights out on future days.

Having lived through this sort of thing in the Anchorage area, the ash is very hard on machine motors and anything delicate. We tried all sorts of things to protect our cars and our expensive sewing machines. Had to give up using the sewing machines for the duration of the situation.

Very hard on people with breathing issues.

The airlines learned many years ago when this happened that damage to airplanes gets very expensse. Now they get their planes out of Anchorage and where ever else there is a threat of ash and don't return until it is over and done.

This is adding insult to injury with the lousy weather this summer in the Anchorage area. I haven't telephoned up there yet today (don't want to wake them up!) but will do so and try to find out if they can see any ash from their perch above Anchorage.

The airlines learned many years ago when this happened that damage to airplanes gets very expensse. Now they get their planes out of Anchorage and where ever else there is a threat of ash and don't return until it is over and done.

Still have memories of that flight in 1989 after Mt. Redoubt erupted. The airlines learned their lesson that year.

I would speculate that you will see other airlines taking Alaska's lead for flights into and out of Anchorage.

Although I read that some other airlines are flying, when I'm 7 miles in the air I want to be with the airline that makes decision based on my safety. As much as it's a major nuisance for some people, I applaud Alaska Airlines for taking the lead in grounding their planes.

Flights cancelled yesterday and today. Not only Alaska but Delta and Frontier were mentioned on this morning's news.

Guess the winds shifted, it was up in the air up to 40,000 feet, and not only affecting Southeast but Southcentral now too.

Here's the notice on Alaska Airlines

Travel Advisory

Volcanic ash cloud forecasted to impact Anchorage, Fairbanks, and Southeast Alaska Markets

Ticketed passengers affected by the Volcanic ash cloud and scheduled for travel to/from Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Southeast Alaska through August 17, 2008 will be allowed the following changes to assist in their travel needs. These apply to both revenue and Mileage Award tickets.

If new/rescheduled travel is on/before August 24, 2008, change fees and applicable changes in fare and taxes will be waived. Passengers not wishing to travel or not having new travel dates can request a full refund.

To make a change to your ticketed reservation, please call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522).

If an Alaska Airlines Vacation package is involved, please contact the Vacations Desk at 1-800-468-2248.

If new/rescheduled travel is on/after August 25, 2008, then change fees, and applicable changes in fare and taxes apply to the new travel dates.

If you plan on traveling, please check the status of your flight before heading to the airport.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Ticketed passengers affected by the Volcanic ash cloud and scheduled for travel to/from Anchorage, Fairbanks, or Southeast Alaska through August 17, 2008 will be allowed the following changes to assist in their travel needs.
Are all flights affected through the 17th or just flights today and tomorrow? :confused:

We fly into Anchorage next Monday on the 18th (I hope). I'm hoping we're not affected! (

We're on Northwest thoug, so who knows?)

Are all flights affected through the 17th or just flights today and tomorrow? :confused:

We fly into Anchorage next Monday on the 18th (I hope). I'm hoping we're not affected!

Right now it's a day by day decision, actually probably an hour by hour. She still hasn't settled down, so if she keeps throwing the ash this high and the winds are still coming northeast, it could be an impact for a while.

Fortunately, at this point, no ash evidence here in town. That stuff makes things such a mess.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Flights cancelled yesterday and today. Not only Alaska but Delta and Frontier were mentioned on this morning's news.

but not in southeast, 59, 60, 61, 64, 65, 67, 71, 72, 75, and 76 etc. all flew sunday and are flying today. only flights affecting southeast were the ones originating in anc.

Thanks to all you Alaska friends for keeping us updated. Hope the volcano calms very soon, so that life can get back to normal. Is this a big event or pretty normal for this particular volcano. gg

I believe all the flights at night into and out of JNU were cancelled....Flight 60 didn't operate this morning..but all in-bound SEA and ANC flights have arrived so far

No evidence of ash in Juneau...I was told by one person(no expert though, so take it for what its worth) that the ash was above us at like 20,000...I dunno...flights are flying today though

nothing wrong with some ash once in a while ;)

Good luck to all of you trying to head this way..should be cleared up soon

Geez you guys...what next? :eek:

I guess I should check with Alaska Airlines to see if flights from Seattle to Ketchikan will be affected tomorrow.

Needless to say I'll be following this thread...

Just checked Alaska Airlines website:

Alaska Airlines said it’s resumed its flights to Alaska that were canceled because of volcanic ash created by the Kasatochi volcano in the Aleutian Islands.

More than 5,200 passengers were affected by the cancellations of 44 flights.

The Seattle carrier, a unit of Alaska Air Group Inc. (NYSE: ALK) said the flights were canceled to the Alaskan cities of Adak, Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka from the cities of Seattle, Denver, Los Angeles, Portland, San Francisco and Vancouver, British Columbia.

Airline officials said the flights were resumed late Monday morning.

“We recognize these cancellations will significantly impact our customers intending to travel to or from Alaska ... We are making every effort to re-accommodate passengers whose flight schedules have been disrupted,” said Glenn Johnson, executive vice president of airports, maintenance and engineering, in a statement.

Called Alaska Airlines. Flights resumed as of now. May cancel tonight because of visibility. Tomorrow is up in the air...

I asked how often flights were interrupted due to eruptions...by her reaction I could tell it was about as stupid a question as someone who asks how often we have an earthquake in California.

I wanted an exciting and unusual vacation... :D

We're checked in...there were at least a dozen empty seats on our plane Flight 173 when I checked in a couple of minutes ago. Would suggest those with reservations check in ASAP. Your reservation will be honored above people who are rescheduled.

It sounded as though they were able to get people out on the next flight when flights resumed.

Thanks bottom-dragger...

Hi kk-l, did you do on-line check-in? How far in advance did it let you do this? We leave on Saturday morning on Alaska Air and just saw the travel advisory, we were on a sold-out plane and now it looks like there are seats open so I think people are re-scheduling? My thoughts are with you and your family getting out to Alaska tomorrow!!

Our Anchorage to Dallas flight was supposed to leave at 8:55 p.m. Saturday night, but it was delayed due to mechanical problems. The flight was rescheduled for 7:15 last night (Sunday), and we took off around 8 p.m. I later learned that the regularly-scheduled ANC-DFW flight on American also left last night. I know how hard it was for the airlines to reaccommodate people on their connecting flights for the following day due to our one flight being delayed. I can only imagine what a nightmare it will be for all the people on today's cancelled flights to get home in a timely manner.

Our Anchorage to Dallas flight was supposed to leave at 8:55 p.m. Saturday night, but it was delayed due to mechanical problems. The flight was rescheduled for 7:15 last night (Sunday), and we took off around 8 p.m. I later learned that the regularly-scheduled ANC-DFW flight on American also left last night. I know how hard it was for the airlines to reaccommodate people on their connecting flights for the following day due to our one flight being delayed. I can only imagine what a nightmare it will be for all the people on today's cancelled flights to get home in a timely manner.

Hi Nancy- I'm so glad you got out safe and sound, can't wait to hear about all of your new Alaska adventures. I'm crossing my fingers for a Volcano free vacation. :o

Archived