Culinary Terms

rarescrambler

Caviche, gastrique, varicot? Etc., etc. So many culinary terms, and I don’t know what they mean, in spite of the fact that I never miss an episode of Top Chef. Maybe it’s BECAUSE of this that I even care. They toss these terms around, and I have no idea what they’re talking about.

For us (me, my 2 sisters and our hubbies) amazing meals are a large part of our cruise experience. (A while back I came across a thread where someone listed what they had every night for dinner on a Westerdam to Alaska, and it gave me anticipation goose bumps – really!) My husband and I are the only ones who have cruised on HAL before. (We’re determined to convert the others to HAL!) :D We’ve talked up all the amazing food choices and the really interesting menus in the dining room as being one of our reasons for choosing HAL.

But I’d like to do a little preparation that will maybe enhance our experience even further. Or at the very least, it’ll impress my family members! ;)

After having been on this forum for a couple of months, it’s become clear that some of you HAL devotees save EVERYTHING from your cruises. I’m amazed at some of the questions asked, and the very detailed responses and/or pictures that are provided within just a few minutes! So, I have little doubt someone has a set of menus from the dining room. If it’s not too much to ask, could I get just a list of culinary words on the menu that are not your everyday cooking terms? I’m looking for terms for preparation methods, pastas, unusual foods, like those I listed above. Once I get the list I’ll then do my homework and go online and learn the meanings.

Actually, there’s an ulterior motive to this request. I’m trying to find ways to bide my time and curb my enthusiasm til our trip. (See our countdown clock). I’m the only one of the 6 of us who’s a Cruise Critic addict, and I send emails almost daily to my sisters with interesting facts I’m learning. Doing this culinary exercise will allow me to feel like I’m preparing and not drive everyone else crazy. Let’s just say I’m the bubbly, enthusiastic one of the group.

I realize that the menu on all ships is not the same, and there’s no way of knowing what will be on our menu, but that’s OK. It’ll still be good to know these terms anyway. In fact, I don't really WANT to know what we’re having. Anticipation is part of the fun!

I considered placing this post on the Foodies forum, but thought it would be more specific to the HAL menus by placing it here.

Thanks in advance. I know this is a very long post, but wanted to explain the reason for what some may consider a strange request. Besides I’m at work right now and our internet is down, so I’m killing time. J

Another thing you could do is pick up a book called Elements of Cooking by Michael Ruhlman. It's an A-Z guide to cooking terms and techniques. It's slim enough to fit in your suitcase and take onboard too if you want!

Caviche, gastrique, varicot? Etc., etc. So many culinary terms, and I don’t know what they mean, in spite of the fact that I never miss an episode of Top Chef. Maybe it’s BECAUSE of this that I even care. They toss these terms around, and I have no idea what they’re talking about.

You are setting yourself up for failure, IMO.

Culinary terms have a specific (typically regional) context and often have unique regional spellings.

Since you've expressed an interest in the terms and an experience in the lore of cooking, I'd suggest simply using Google and finding out what you come up with, with the understanding that whatever it is, you might be mistaken. At least it will give you something to keep your mind off the upcoming trip (enjoy).

I am a chef and also in the high end wedding business, when I need new ideas for a wedding or even a party at home when we entertain I use this site, it is the best one I have found, there will be plenty to keep you busy from now until your cruise with lots of great ideas not to mention the restaurant fourms that have all you need to know about the best places to eat at all over the world.

Enjoy

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=idx

More cruise boards and NOW a culinary forum! I guess I better just quit my job, because it's obvious I'm not going to have time to do work and do all this reading too! Something's got to go! Wait! That's how I'm able to cruise! Darn it anyway that I can't have it all :rolleyes:

Seriously, thanks to everyone for your suggestions and links.

Archived