Sensation Advice

GJClay

We have decided that for spring break in March/09 to do a shorter itin to the Bahamas (husband and teen daughter). We prefer the itinerary of the Sensation compared to both the other Carnival Ships as well as other lines that sail the 4 nighters to the Bahamas.

The Sensation fits our schedule the best and the airfare to Port Canaveral is significantly less than to Miami for us which is a big weighing point between the Sensation and the Majesty (in addition to the fact that the Sensation stops in Freeport when we can go where we've never been.) We have sailed on one prior Carnival Ship five years ago (Fascination) which we loved and two larger Royal Caribbean ships.

I have read several negative reviews about the Sensation because of it's age, so am wondering if anyone has any advice about this since it is really kind of a ship versus itinerary situation. It almost sounds like I've answered my own question but would like an opinion from someone who has done both bigger and newer ships as well as the Sensation and how the two experiences may compare.

I've had one cruise on the Sensation, when she was going the MX route. I thought she was a nice ship, pretty atrium, food was good, etc. Had no complaints. My favorite ship is the Holiday, so age doesn't matter to me. All Carnival ships are kept up, maintained, and clean. :)

I have no clue why the age of a ship would affect anyone's cruise. I have been on 4 different ships and wouldn't have known how old the ship was if I hadn't read it here on Cruise Critic. I have never based how much fun I had on a cruise by the size or age of the ship. We had a great time on the Senation, so go for it and enjoy yourselves.

First, you've hit the trifecta for phrases that will bring all sorts of cautions about loud, boistrous fellow passengers (Spring Break/short/Bahamas). As long as you understand that you should have a great time. We have done this 4 day Sensation itinerary and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Ours was in December though.

Don't worry about the condition of the ship. I thought it was fine last December, and besides, Sensation is going into a month-long drydock in Jan/Feb 2009 where all the cabins will be redone and they will add the new waterpark and the adult serenity area that is now only on Inspiration and Imagination.

Sensation is the same deck plan as the Fascination you have already been on (both are Fantasy Class), so should feel familiar to you. We have sailed that class twice, and have also been on the Spirit and Destiny class with Carnival. We prefer the larger ships because of the variety and number of public rooms as well as the availability of non-suite balconies. But it's a personal choice - there are many, many fans of the Fantasy class.

I have been on the Sensation twice, on the itinerary you are interested in. I would call the ship retro, but do you really care whats on the walls along the hallways of the cabin areas. The theatre is 2 stories, the atrium goes all the way up from the Empress deck, lots of bars, great food, good entertainment, AMAZING beds and the Bahamas, what more could you ask for?

I've done two cruises on Sensation, a 7 day back in '98, then a 3 day last year. She is still a very nice ship, clean and well maintained. I propbably won't be going on her again soon, but thats only because I don't really care for the Bahamas. Port Canaveral is a nice port, and easy to get in and out of.

Yes, she is older, but it's not a big deal. Most of the complaints stem from the retro decor, and heavy use of purple colors. Her cabins are showing some signs of wear and tear, but that will be rectified next year when she gets the Evolutions of Fun renovations which includes cabin remodeling.

Hi! I have been on the same Sensation cruise you are talking about a year ago and I have been on the newer Glory for 7 days about a year and a half ago. I had the same amount of fun on both ships. Like mentioned, I never would have known the ship was older except for the purple older decor. I read all about it here on cruise critic and was expecting some hideous barney like purple all over the ship and honestly it's not that bad. I had a great time on Sensation! I met alot of people, stayed out dancing in the clubs till all hours of the night, had a blast at Senior Frogs in Nassau, and I will be going on her again! The only downfall I had was the time I went the first night everybody got sick from the boat rocking too much and when we were supposed to stop at Freeport, nobody got off cause there was a terrential down pour outside! But, not the ships fault it was the time of year which is the chance you take when going during the hurricane season but we made the best of it!! I hope you go and have a great time!!!!

We sailed the Sensation to Bahamas (Freeport, then Nausau) during Spring Break 2006. We loved it. Sure there were a good number of kids and spring break people, but we didn't find that to be a problem at all!

We love The Sensation, have been on it several times, and as you can see we are scheduled to go on The Sensation a couple more times. True, it is an older ship, but for some reason we love The Sensation. The staff and crew are always wonderful, and we have never had a problem with unruly or loud passengers. Of course we do not travel during Spring break, or holidays. As far as the Sensation being older, it will be going in for renovations for about a month, during the latter part of January, and the first part of Feb. 2009, so it will be really nice if you plan to travel in March 2009.

I have been on the Sensation 2x, I just got off yesterday.

*sigh*

I love that ship. It is so much fun. The crew has so much energy, they are happy. There are a lot of crewmembers that have years with carnival and won't go to another ship.

As someone said earlier, she is going into drydock in Jan. They are going to redo alot of her.

One thing I noticed between my cruise from Jun until this cruise, the food selections have been mixed up.

They had nachos everyday, and onion rings, and it appeared that there were chips at the grille.

Love the Sensation....will be on her in a few weeks! Yes, it is an older ship but it is always taken care of.

You will also be going within 2 months of the new "Evolutions of Fun" upgrade happening in January! It will include the Waterworks Park, new Lido Pool area, Serenity Area, and many refurbishments around the ship (carpet, staterooms, etc.)

My adivse for the Sensation: Just have FUN!

We have done the 4 day Sensation Bahamas twice and did the 7 day western on the newer, bigger Glory.

My Wife and I both enjoyed our Sensation cruises.

Everything was newer and shinier on the Glory.

But we preferred the better layout of the Fantasy class ships and we found the crew on both Sensation cruises to be better, more energetic and nicer than the Glory crew was.

Plus after the Sensation's January drydock, the rooms will all be refurbished and have brand new flat screen TVs, plus the adult only pool area and water park additions.

I would heartily recommend the Sensation.

Bill

I just returned on the Sensation yesterday. I have been on many cruises. This was my first 3 day. I must say, I was blown away!!! When the cruise director said we had to cram a 7 day cruise into 3, he wasn't kidding. The show the first day was awesome. Even though the ship is older, the carpeting and common areas have been redone. She was used for housing after Hurricane Katrina, so she got a facelift courtesy of FEMA. Don't be afraid to give her a try.

My mom and I went on the Sensation last April. It was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare her to. I love it, couldn't care less if she was old. I really liked that they stayed overnight in Freeport, the ship was close to empty... kinda nice.

We have decided that for spring break in March/09 to do a shorter itin to the Bahamas (husband and teen daughter). We prefer the itinerary of the Sensation compared to both the other Carnival Ships as well as other lines that sail the 4 nighters to the Bahamas.

The Sensation fits our schedule the best and the airfare to Port Canaveral is significantly less than to Miami for us which is a big weighing point between the Sensation and the Majesty (in addition to the fact that the Sensation stops in Freeport when we can go where we've never been.) We have sailed on one prior Carnival Ship five years ago (Fascination) which we loved and two larger Royal Caribbean ships.

I have read several negative reviews about the Sensation because of it's age, so am wondering if anyone has any advice about this since it is really kind of a ship versus itinerary situation. It almost sounds like I've answered my own question but would like an opinion from someone who has done both bigger and newer ships as well as the Sensation and how the two experiences may compare.

I think anyone can find something negative to say about the nicest of things.

We went on the Sensation in May. I was forwarded that the ship was "outdated" and "purple". It is a bit outdated and very purple. But this was neither here or there for us. It did not matter to use if the cruise ship was a bit dated and purple.

We had a nice time on our cruise. It was me, DH and DD (15). She had a good time as well.

I would say do not go into it that you will be staying in 5star and you will be fine.

I haven't been on the Sensation yet, but I have been on 3 of her sister ships. I really loved those ships, so I'm sure I will love her. When are you planning on going? I've booked the March 29th sailing.

I'm really looking forward to the Evolutions of Fun upgrades.

Thank you for your most helpful replies. I am now very excited about this ship and think I will book it tomorrow. As another poster mentioned, some people complain about everything. After booking our first cruise on the Fascination I read so many negative reports I was terrified for months for no reason whatsoever and became hooked on cruising the instant we stepped on the ship! I had no idea what all the complaints had been about.

Archived