Lap Band Surgery and a Carnival Cruise?

ssatterly

A fellow CC member sent me the link to this thread because I was asking the same question (almost) on the RC board last weekend.

I had the surgery almost a year ago. Out of the 11 ml. that the band can hold at it's most inflated, I have 9 ml. that has been injected, so the opening is almost as tight as you can go. I have no trouble with liquids or soft/mushey food, but when it comes to anything that is even remotely solid, if I eat more than 2 bites, I am throwing up, no matter how well I chew it up. Bread, or anything with flour, I have to stay completely away from. It just clogs up the lap band, and the feeling is so uncomfortable when it happens, I don't even try to eat that anymore.

After unsuccessfully trying to eat a very small amount of pasta for dinner last Sunday (yeah, I know, the flour thing again), I told my husband, that I just don't see any sense in going down to the dining room everynight for dinner on our cruise next week. I am so limited in what I can eat, I just don't see why waste the time?

I posted the question on RC last weekend what do people with LapBand eat in the dining room? I think the best suggestion was talk to the waiter and let them know about the surgery. There are alot of different soups they have, etc. The waiter will know what to do.

Some people said just eat what you can, and push the rest away (although one poster said the waiter was wondering if something was wrong with the food because she wasn't eating it).

I am going to try some of the suggestions, and when I get back I will let you know how I did. Good luck to you. It is a long journey, but well worth it. :)

your band is TOO FULL! if i were you, i would contact my surgeon before travelling. a properly adjusted band will allow you to comfortably consume a small portion of solid protein (chicken, fish, etc) and veggies. bread products can be difficult no matter how loose the band is, but the problems you describe with anything solid are bad bad bad. you could be looking at slipping the band from the throwing up, or erosion of the band into the stomach.

A fellow CC member sent me the link to this thread because I was asking the same question (almost) on the RC board last weekend.

I had the surgery almost a year ago. Out of the 11 ml. that the band can hold at it's most inflated, I have 9 ml. that has been injected, so the opening is almost as tight as you can go. I have no trouble with liquids or soft/mushey food, but when it comes to anything that is even remotely solid, if I eat more than 2 bites, I am throwing up, no matter how well I chew it up. Bread, or anything with flour, I have to stay completely away from. It just clogs up the lap band, and the feeling is so uncomfortable when it happens, I don't even try to eat that anymore.

After unsuccessfully trying to eat a very small amount of pasta for dinner last Sunday (yeah, I know, the flour thing again), I told my husband, that I just don't see any sense in going down to the dining room everynight for dinner on our cruise next week. I am so limited in what I can eat, I just don't see why waste the time?

I posted the question on RC last weekend what do people with LapBand eat in the dining room? I think the best suggestion was talk to the waiter and let them know about the surgery. There are alot of different soups they have, etc. The waiter will know what to do.

Some people said just eat what you can, and push the rest away (although one poster said the waiter was wondering if something was wrong with the food because she wasn't eating it).

I am going to try some of the suggestions, and when I get back I will let you know how I did. Good luck to you. It is a long journey, but well worth it. :)

your band is TOO FULL! if i were you, i would contact my surgeon before travelling. a properly adjusted band will allow you to comfortably consume a small portion of solid protein (chicken, fish, etc) and veggies. bread products can be difficult no matter how loose the band is, but the problems you describe with anything solid are bad bad bad. you could be looking at slipping the band from the throwing up, or erosion of the band into the stomach.

The Monday after I come back from the cruise I have my usual 3 month check up with my LapBand doctor. I will tell him how I cannot eat anything that is not liquid or mushy...thanks!! :)

I had Lap Band surgery on May 13th. We cruised on the Ecstasy on July 4th. I never missed a beat. Enjoyed everything. Of course I chose thing differently and didn't eat everything. Somethings I use to love, I now can't stand. Simply because you need to chew everything so well. It is a life changing experience. I'm glad I did it. Cruise and enjoy it.

BTW, I have lost 55 pounds so far. Just 100 more to go.

Good luck.

Dennis

• 3 years later...

Archived