Re: debit cards on p&o ships!!!

This could be the answer to the whole saga!!

Yep,

I think it might be. My son has a visa debit with an over draft facility and uses it like a credit card. He used this in May on the Pac Sun no problems.

But I purchased the youngest one a bopo card which is just an over the counter type one that I filled up and he could use like a credit card. Bopo has since gone belly up and it can't used anymore. I couldn't figure out how to use that on his cruise card and we put cash on it, mind you when the cash ran out they didn't notify us they just put it on our CC.

Apparently the reason why they dont like people to us eit is because it can tie up peoples funds for up to 10 days aferwards so people cant access their money.

That is also a valid reason, when you have a visa for credit purposes the transaction is effective immediately (virtually). I have noticed on my VDC that sometimes purchases don't show up until a day or two after.

Friends of mine were told by P & O (earlier this year) that they could not use their debit card. They didn't plan to spend a lot of money on board, so took cash to put on their account. When they checked in to board the ship, the debit card was accepted without question.:):)

... but i have heard it from the horses mouth now so i will just have to deposit cash onto cruise card i think.. regards aussiescouser:D :confused:

I don't mean to be cynical but just because P&O have told you doesn't really mean enything.

Take the August 29th cruise for example. You were told by P&O that they would be leaving from OPT. However, I have 2 friends that have been told by P&O they they are definately leaving from Wharf 8:confused: :rolleyes: .

I don't mean to be cynical but just because P&O have told you doesn't really mean enything.

Take the August 29th cruise for example. You were told by P&O that they would be leaving from OPT. However, I have 2 friends that have been told by P&O they they are definately leaving from Wharf 8:confused: :rolleyes: .

I agree with Karen. Treat their advice with caution and don't assume it is correct because 'it is from the horse's mouth'.

We had experience earlier this year with advice that was not correct. Our Sydney to Brisbane cruise left Sydney at 8pm and we were told by P & O (on three separate phone calls) that boarding was from 6pm. I still didn't believe it so we booked a flight that had us at the terminal around 3pm. We figured that if we had to wait around it didn't matter too much, but we didn't want to be too late. Boarding turned out to be between 2pm and 6pm. :):):)

Just quickly (I haven't had a chance to read all the posts before) but with the visa debit cards (those issued by banks, credit unions, building societies etc) they work exactly like a credit card but instead of withdrawing funds from a credit account it is just deducted out of savings. I think the issue may be with the pre paid debit cards? I dont have a "pre paid" VD card but anyone can just purchase them from a counter, with a bank, credit union, building society one they have your details and if you over draw (and you don't have an overdraft the transaction may not go through) but then if it does go through the bank/credit uinion/building society would then chase you up. I am trying to say that if it is a card issued in your personal name you will be liable as if it is a pre paid one there may not be any way to make sure P&O get the payment?

This could be the answer to the whole saga!!

I agree also. It depends who issued the card and what rules are applied to it, eg daily (deposit and withdrawl/purchase) limits, personal details held, etc. Also I think from "memory" (at a time I was looking at prepaids) that BOPO had on their website that some stores wouldn't accept them, eg Woolworths. But that site is now gone so I couldn't double check.

Archived