St. Johns, Newfoundland

First be sure it St. John's, Newfoundland and not Saint John, New Brunswick as that's a common mistake.

You can do it on your own but I would suggest a taxi as some of the attractions are a bit of a walk from the dock. There are usually taxi's waiting alongside the buses at the dock for any passengers who wish to do that. There is a special rate for a 3 hour tour but I can't remember the exact cost.

Don't miss Signal Hill NHS is St. John's

Iroche_nf - It is Newfoundland - I double checked. Thanks for the information. Now that I know I won't be needing a private guide, I can do some reserarch on the sites.

Susan

Don't miss Quidi Vidi Village. It is pronounced Kiddy Viddy. It is actually part of St. John's and is the most compact, charming, picturesque, place you could imagine.

Signal Hill is also a must do.

The entrance to the harbour is unlike any other so don;t miss the entry or at least the exit and Signal Hill is a must also for the view. You can get out to the most Easternly Part of North America for a lasting "I've been there" (Cape Spear) part of your travels and if beer and meeting Newfies is on our schedule try "George" street. All the locals will guide you :)

A great way to just see the city is on the city bus. The drivers are great.

Sapper 1 and Leftcoast BC - Thanks for the information. We'll be sure to visit all of your suggestions. I assume we can do all of this on our own?

Thanks,

Susan

Try to get an hourly rate on a taxi for Signal Hill and Quidi Vidi. You will want to spend some time wandering around and taking pictures in both places. Quidi Vidi is only a couple of miles from the port but too far to walk and Signal Hill isn't that far, but it is quite a steep road to walk up. The view of the harbour is amazing from up there and there are scenic trails to walk along. There is also the tower from where Marconi sent his first transatlantic wireless signal.

Cape Spear is quite interesting. As well as it being scenic, I remember wandering through some old WW2 gun emplacements.

You will find the people of Newfoundland to be among the friendliest that you will encounter anywhere in the world. You won't hear an accent quite like their's anywhere either. It is very unique.

• 3 weeks later...

We were there this week! It was our favorite port in Canada!

Taxi rates are $40 per hour per vehicle for 4 people! Very reasonable! We had a 2 hour tour and chose to visit Signal Hill, Quidi Vidi, and Cape Spear, with time to walk around at each place. Afterwards, we did some shopping on the main shopping street. All the locals were very friendly and welcoming. There were many people from the tourist office on the pier to help with sightseeing and other questions.

We like to walk, too, but the walk up Signal Hill would have been overwhelming!

Sapper1,

Thanks for the information. We're looking forward to our visit. My husband and I are walkers so we may consider walking it all.

Thanks,

Susan

You're welcome. Now it turns out that we will be visiting Nfld on the Eurodam next summer--quite unexpectedly. We had booked for a 20 day cruise in northern Europe but the first half got chartered out so we salvaged the situation by keeping the second 10 days and adding the next 16 days which include a transatlantic repositioning cruise. Ergo--the visit to St. John's. It has been about 12 years since I have been there so I am eagerly looking forward to it again. St. John's is such a unique, snug little harbour with such a tiny entrance. Marconi's tower will be on your right as you enter the harbour and there is an old fort with some WW2 gun emplacements on your left. It is quite a narrow passage.

Enjoy your trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is my home town, born there, "many moons ago", as others have said, Signal Hill, is a must especially for great photo ops. Quidi Vidi Village and Lake. George Street if you like pub atmosphere, though there are so many others in the downtown St Johns area. Cape Spear is just so beautiful. Churches, if you are into those, the Roman Catholic Basilica and the Anglican Cathedral, and so many others. I havent been there in a few years sadly so cant recommend restaurants by personal experience, though I know there are many very good ones within walking distance of where your ship will dock. Seafood, will be fresh! that is guaranteed. I wish you a very pleasant visit, and please after your cruise, come back and let us all know what you did. :)

P.S. As for the accent. Newfoundlanders mostly descend from Irish or English, and the accent is reflected in that history. While my ancestors are from the Devon England area, I have often been asked if I am Irish, even though I have lived in Ontario for thirty years now. I havent lost the brogue yet.

Does anyone have a good place for lunch that would include lobster?

Been some time since I have been back to my home town, and not sure what time of the year you are going there. So cant tell where to get lobster, and it also depends on the season. However seafood of many varieties will be fresh and will dominate the menus of many restaurants. Wishing you a very nice visit.:)

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.stjohns.ca/visitors/tours.jsp

We visited here last year and used RJ who is listed on the above link. Now, if you want a real local character, he is it. I don't recall what he charged us (just two - $35 each I think) and he took us to all the spots mentioned.

He will not walk up to Signal Hill and some of the other spots with you as he does have some disability. If you want some real local color, RJ is the guy!! He dropped us at the local favorite restaurant for a late lunch of the local favorite, cod tongues, among other things. Sorry, don't remember the name but it was just a short walk back to the ship.

Archived