All Things Fascination

Quincella

:confused:

What a great thread, with a lot of info! Great reviews too! I have a question, when you go to the dining room, do they assign you what table, etc?

For dinner, you will have a table assignment printed on your S & S card. That is where you will always sit for dinner. For breakfast and lunch, you will be seated just like at a regular resturant....a hostess will take you to an available table and you MAY end up sitting with other people. HTH!

Question for Hockey Addict (PS>>I love hockey too)..Since you live in Jacksonville, where would you recommend to stay:our flight arrives at 11:30 sunday the 15th of Feb...and we cruise on the 16th. Perhaps a little shopping would be in order pre cuise...I am travelling with my 19 year old daughter. Any recommendations? Is there a mall/or downtown area that you would recommend? What areas would you stay away from?

Thanks

Hi there Canuck!!

There are a lot of hotels at the airport. There is a new, pretty big strip mall right down the road that has a wal mart, Publix (grocery store) and other stores which is about maybe a mile away. (not a good idea to walk though)

There is also a Holiday Inn Express that is about a mile from the port. Also near the port is the Jax Zoo. I've never been to the zoo so I'm not too sure how nice it is.

Holiday Inn on New Berlin Road.... right off of Heckscher Drive http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/jaxsn?rpb=hotel&crUrl=/h/d/ex/1/en/availsearch&ias=y

This Holiday Inn has nothing really near it. It's a very commercial area. Just a gas station and a Wendy's pretty much shares the parking lot with the hotel.

For a 19yo I would say she wouldn't be impressed. There is always Jax Beach which is about maybe 20-30 minutes from the airport. There are restaurants and little shops there. I just don't know if you would want to take a cab down there.

Personally I wouldn't go downtown. There is "The Landing" downtown but it's more for the 21+ crowd to drink.

http://www.jacksonvillelanding.com/

I'm trying to think of more... I will post as I think of it... my brain is a little sleepy right now! :o

That mall near the airport that Hockey is speaking of is a very large new mall that has numerous stores that will keep you busy for quite some time. The security there is very good and is patrolled by the Jax Sheriffs Office. It would be safer to just take a cheap taxi ride from your motel and back if you are staying near the airport. Also, plenty to do at the beach if you so desire. Head over to the Beach Town Center (intersection of Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach on the ocean front). That is also a very safe area. Enjoy your stay and Bon Voyage!:)

Thank you for your prompt replies. This is a very last minute cruise...you can see by my signature that we (my husband and I) are going an another one for spring break with our younger son. I am so looking forward to spending some time with my daughter who has been away at school this year. We reserved a room at the Jacksonville Wingate by Wyndham at the airport. We booked a guarantee inside...still no room assignment. I was also able to use some points for the flights. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated...I haven't done too much research on this cruise, but have bee in Nassau and Key West before. I understand that there are no blow dryers in the staterooms, anything else I should know? are there bar fridges in the rooms, or does the room attendant provide ice buckets? I assume I can bring some soft drinks/water aboard. Thanks again...and by the way...Go Red Wings Go!!

Uhh ohhh you're a Wings Fan... sorry but I can not answer anymore questions for you!!! JUST KIDDING :D

No blow dryers in the rooms or fridge's. We brought our soft sided cooler in our checked in luggage. Our steward kept it full of ice for us all the time. There is also a small metal ice bucket that he kept full also. We packed pop and water in our luggage too and had no problems.

If there isn't a robe in your room ask your steward. We did and he had it for us that evening when he turned down the room.

We sailed on a Saturday but our muster was on Sunday about 10:30am. I thought it was kinda crazy because I always read on here that it was the day we sail. But since then I have read that musters took place before setting sail.

We were up at the funnel deck to see the Dames Point bridge. It's pretty neat up there! It takes some time to get out of the St. Johns River to the ocean. You can see some nice houses on the way out and our Naval Base... Mayport

We really loved the Fascination and we can't wait to go back on her in September. If you have any questions let me know.. :D

Stef

Question for Hockey Addict (PS>>I love hockey too)..Since you live in Jacksonville, where would you recommend to stay:our flight arrives at 11:30 sunday the 15th of Feb...and we cruise on the 16th. Perhaps a little shopping would be in order pre cuise...I am travelling with my 19 year old daughter. Any recommendations? Is there a mall/or downtown area that you would recommend? What areas would you stay away from?

Thanks

We live about 2 1/2 hours away from Jacksonville, and we absolutely love the zoo. Our family has taken overnight trips to Jax just for the zoo. We have also visited many zoos across the country (we all love animals), including the Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC and Philly Zoo in Philly, and the Jax Zoo is still our favorite. If your daughter likes nature and animals, I highly recomend it. I don't remember the name of the birds, but there is a place in the Jax Zoo that you get to hold cups of food in your hands and the birds will come and sit on your hands and eat. A LOT of fun, especially for my 18 year cousin we took with in November.

We have also stayed downtown at the Landings, but I was not impressed. Of course, we got there late and my husband ended up sick and not able to go with me. It may have been a lot more fun if he was there with me.

Hope this helps, and we will be getting off the Fascination on the day you are boarding. I may try to sneak back on with you guys!! LOL!!:D

Hi all, I love the fantasy class ships. I'm sailing on the Fascination for the first time in May. I thought she already had the upgrades but apparently not from reading here. Does anyone know when this ship will get the waterworks, etc?

The DOD's.... in a souvenir cup $7.50. In a regular glass it's $4.25 (smaller then the souvenir cup) If you have a souvenir cup you can get a refill for $1 cheaper. (I believe it was $1 cheaper)

On our Fascination trip you could get 5 DOD's for $23... it was a drink card and you could request any DOD.

The DOD's.... in a souvenir cup $7.50. In a regular glass it's $4.25 (smaller then the souvenir cup) If you have a souvenir cup you can get a refill for $1 cheaper. (I believe it was $1 cheaper)

ok let me get this right get an adult beverage in a souvenier cup and it's around a dollar for a refill? and what's a drink card??

BTW can you tell how I plan on spending my time on the ship

I believe 7.95 for the first one of the day with cup. Then when you turn in your cup they bring your next DOD for 6.95. They are $1 cheaper than the first one, not $1 cost. They also had the tip on automatically (can't remember the %). Seems to me the tip is about $1.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Newbie here! I'm sailing out on March 30th to Key West and Nassau and before I book everything, I wanted to get some info on where the best possible room would be. We'd like it to be relitively quiet during the night hours and be on the side with the best view.

This will be my first cruise so I wondered if I could have some help from those who have been on cruises before. Looking through the remaining rooms, I was wondering what might be the best? We don't need a super fancy room at all but we definitely do not want to have alot of noise or a room thats not well kept.

I've read that your best bet for a quiet room is on a floor that is inbetween 2 room only floors. Is this correct? If this is the case, how does the front/middle/back of the ship effect the noise?

I was thinking of maybe going with a Main Floor Stateroom because they are a bit cheaper, but all they have left are ones relitively close to the front. Will this matter any?

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! You will love the Fascination!

I've only been on one cruise and will be going on my second in September. But this is what I have learned.....

Yes, they say that getting a room "sandwiched" between other decks with staterooms is the quietest way to go. We were on the Empress deck right in the middle of the ship with the dining room above us and we never heard a peep. We were only in our room to sleep, shower and change for dinner. You could choose the Empress deck and be pretty safe except maybe under the Galley. You could hear noise from there.

The front and back of the ship you could feel more movement. They say that mid ship is where you feel less movement.

Are you going to book a OV? When you are docked in Nassau Starboard will have a view of the ocean and Aft will have a view of Atlantis.

If you choose portside then you will see the.... port :D

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! You will love the Fascination!

I've only been on one cruise and will be going on my second in September. But this is what I have learned.....

Yes, they say that getting a room "sandwiched" between other decks with staterooms is the quietest way to go. We were on the Empress deck right in the middle of the ship with the dining room above us and we never heard a peep. We were only in our room to sleep, shower and change for dinner. You could choose the Empress deck and be pretty safe except maybe under the Galley. You could hear noise from there.

The front and back of the ship you could feel more movement. They say that mid ship is where you feel less movement.

Are you going to book a OV? When you are docked in Nassau Starboard will have a view of the ocean and Aft will have a view of Atlantis.

If you choose portside then you will see the.... port :D

I guess I'm just looking for the best possible experience all while keeping the costs down. We all know how the Economy is but this will be my first real vacation with my girlfriend and I want everything to be great for the both of us.

The rooms say they have peep holes rather than picture windows. Can you see alot out of those windows?

What is the difference between the Empress level and the Main Level? Just location?

The port holes are probably about 18 inches in diameter (at least on the Elation they were) -- you can see out them but not as nice as a 4 foot by 5 foot window. In my opinion, there is not much different between the decks, you just get charged a bit more for being one deck closer to the pool, etc.

With the port holes you can see straight out, not too much on the sides, is my understanding.

When we booked our first cruise we were going to just do el cheapo... inside rivera deck... but we got upgraded for free to a ov Empress deck. So we took it.

This time DH wanted to be on the Empress deck again. So with early saver we booked and got Empress with a upgrade to a ov instead of a interior. It is a port hole though. I would be happy anywhere as long as I was on a ship!

Trust me... you will not be in that room very often. And when you do decide to turn in for the night you will probably be out cold. Except if you're me and want to go back up to the action because you don't want to miss anything!! DH passed out within a minute while I was wide awake!! :)

Archived