Will be cruising shortly with a 1 year old - any tips?

Jan2007

In January, we had my 13 month old nephew and I would have not wanted it any other way!! He was some of the joy and best moments we had on the ship! Some people on these boards are going to hate this...but when getting ready for dinner, we went to the staircase and he would crawl up flights of stairs for fun!

And then he put those germy hands in his mouth!

Yuck!!

We were charged tips on our children both times when they cruised under 2. I wouldn't understand how they wouldn't be charged. The little ones require more attention from the staff than even adults. Their tips on the children are well earned!

Our son wasn't charged on the last two cruises..nor the one here in a few weeks.. but we always just tip out of our pocket at the end of the cruise for him.

(oh and he is 15 months old)

I second the idea to stay away from some excursions - we went on the Carnival snorkel/turtle drive in January and on the boat with us was a family that brought their 1 yr old well going out he was content but the whole time we were snorkeling and enjoying the ocean his grandmother stayed on the boat with him and he just screamed & cried and was miserable - I felt so sorry for him - just sitting on the floor of the boat being totally board - even thou they brought the stroller loaded with toys - he just wanted off - made for a very long and stressful excursion for everyone.

I would suggest not doing anything that would confine you to a certain place for very long - kids like variety.

I second the idea to stay away from some excursions - we went on the Carnival snorkel/turtle drive in January and on the boat with us was a family that brought their 1 yr old well going out he was content but the whole time we were snorkeling and enjoying the ocean his grandmother stayed on the boat with him and he just screamed & cried and was miserable - I felt so sorry for him - just sitting on the floor of the boat being totally board - even thou they brought the stroller loaded with toys - he just wanted off - made for a very long and stressful excursion for everyone.

I would suggest not doing anything that would confine you to a certain place for very long - kids like variety.

yes I agree...you will definitely need to modify excursion choices...on our honeymoon we did the all out excursions.. like snuba/dolphin swim etc.. but we understood that now with a little one we couldn't do those type of excursions, but we are ok with it...we will have plenty of time to do the more active ones when he gets older.

So for example...in the bahamas we just took a water taxi over to atlantis and went to the free beach there.

in Cozumel, we just explored the shopping area our selves.

For grand caymen in a couple weeks, we will just go to seven mile beach and in cozumel we will probably just do the shopping thing again.

You can still have a great time though :D

I'm a little concerned about this being your 1st cruise and your casual comment about maybe changing your mind about bringing your 10 month old along.

You do realize that she would have to be a ticketed passenger and you would pay the 3rd person supplement, plus all the port taxes, fuel supplement and tipping charges associated with any guest regardless of age.........

I'm not meaning to insult you in anyway I just didn't want you to think that you could decide the day before you leave to just bring her along.....Carnival would deny you boarding...

But just in case you do want to take her, be sure you have the government sealed copy of her birth certificate, the hospital copy won't do.

Thanks for the response. We were already aware of all the things you mentioned and have discussed our situation with our TA and we know we need to make a decision as soon as possible.

Believe me, every time you spend quality time away from your child, building your relationship with your husband, it'll get easier and easier. Remember, children grow up and leave, but your spouse is with you for life! Enjoy time together!!

Thank you for your response. That was my husband's reason for booking a short 3-day cruise. We both work and have arranged our schedules so one of us is at home to watch our daughter everyday. This leaves little time for the two us and he thought a cruise would be a good time to focus on each other. Even our one night in Las Vegas was spent with my relatives visiting from Canada and my husband had to use two vacation days to go. I know I'll miss my baby but it would be fun to share some quality time with my man.

Thank you for your response. That was my husband's reason for booking a short 3-day cruise. We both work and have arranged our schedules so one of us is at home to watch our daughter everyday. This leaves little time for the two us and he thought a cruise would be a good time to focus on each other. Even our one night in Las Vegas was spent with my relatives visiting from Canada and my husband had to use two vacation days to go. I know I'll miss my baby but it would be fun to share some quality time with my man.

Good for you!!! My husband and I just took our first vacation without our kids in 18yrs this year (it was for our 25th wedding anniversary and our first cruise) - boy long overdue!!!

But we are making it up to them and taking them on a cruise in March.

Our first cruise is in January and our baby will be 10 months old. Our plan is to leave her home with our parents but we may change our minds. We just got back from a one night trip to Las Vegas and we missed her so much. Any pros and/or cons cruising with an infant?

of course you will miss her, but parents do need time away from their kids now and then. Our granddaughter is about to leave her 17 month old with grandma and grandad for the second time: the First was a Vegas venture for 4 days after Christmas and this time a 5 day cruise next week. Her grandma loves to take care of her and the parents do enjoy the break. When our granddaughters were little we kept them for a week to 10 days every year. It gave our daughter and son in law a chance to get re-aquainted and us a chance to bond. Right now we are as close to the girls as to their parents I think...

Nita

We took a three generation cruise with our granddaughter last November when she was seven months old, and a family reunion cruise with her last week when she was sixteen months old.

The baby was very good during both cruises, but our daughter and son in law made a lot of adjustments for that to happen. First of all, they tried to keep the baby on a schedule that was similar to what it would have been at home, including morning and afternoon naps. They also explored ports on their own without booking any shore excursions.

The baby was also put to bed at her normal time and sometimes my husband and I would baby sit for her in their cabin while she was asleep so our daughter and son in law could have an opporunity to enjoy some of the evening activities aboard the ship.

On our recent cruise our granddaughter was very good during two hour dinners in the main dining room, but that was too long for her last November. Therefore, we had most of our dinners at the buffet during our cruise in November.

I think cruising with very young children works best when there is family support like in your case. I would be a little nervous about taking my first cruise and doing it with a 10 month old. Like you said, there are many adjustments that need to be made.

Nita

We took our 7 month old last winter on our first cruise, and it was amazing. Dont let anyone on here discourage you. She will be 1 and half this January when we go on our second cruise. Thankfully, cruise ships are public places and those who dont like kids, might as well get used to it. They also might like to know that I cant stand old geezers who walk slow and pig out at the buffets all day who think they are above everyone else! I would dare someone to ever say something to me about brining my daughter on a cruise. I for one go on family cruises, not cruise and leave family members home!

Nick

I TOTALLY AGREE,after reading cc for months I was nervous taking my almost 18 month old. Just returned on Saturday and although it was hard with 4 kids it would have been nice to go alone. WE never leave our kids anywhere so we took them and I 'd do it again. Dining is so loud if a baby crys so what. They're babies it's their way of letting you know they need something. It's like telling adults we can't talk during dinner. LOL

I think that it is considerate when parents take their children out of the room when they are crying, or being loud. Then they will not grow up to be the rude obnoxious geesers that you see on cruises.

To the op, have a great cruise with your young one, I sure do miss the days when my daughter was that age. They grow up too soon.

We were charged tips on our children both times when they cruised under 2. I wouldn't understand how they wouldn't be charged. The little ones require more attention from the staff than even adults. Their tips on the children are well earned!

We were not charged for our DD.

We took our 7 month old last winter on our first cruise, and it was amazing. Dont let anyone on here discourage you. She will be 1 and half this January when we go on our second cruise. Thankfully, cruise ships are public places and those who dont like kids, might as well get used to it. They also might like to know that I cant stand old geezers who walk slow and pig out at the buffets all day who think they are above everyone else! I would dare someone to ever say something to me about brining my daughter on a cruise. I for one go on family cruises, not cruise and leave family members home!

Nick

I doubt anyone has issues with you bringing your child on a cruise. Most cruisers take issue with the parents of the child-who screams and cries during diner. Sometimes the child has just had enough and is tired and some parents don't address these needs therefore affecting other guests.

I hope you have more patience with your child than you do with 'the old geezers" as they certainly do not have a monopoly on rudeness or gluttony or superiority attitudes.. :rolleyes:

Dining is so loud if a baby crys so what. They're babies it's their way of letting you know they need something. It's like telling adults we can't talk during dinner. LOL

This is the kind of comment that really aggravates people. If it's their way of telling you something, you as the parent should be prepared to take care of the problem. It's not the same as adults talking during dinner.

This is the kind of comment that really aggravates people. If it's their way of telling you something, you as the parent should be prepared to take care of the problem. It's not the same as adults talking during dinner.

Exactly!

and if I were trying to enjoy my diner and there was a screaming baby next to us.. if the parents didn't calm the child down and address his or her needs, I would have the maitre'd address my needs... ;)

Time to take the baby for a walk..give them some comfort.. they are in a strange environment with lots of strangers.. it happens..

And then he put those germy hands in his mouth!

Yuck!!

Don't suppose you've ever had anything dirty in your mouth eh'?

The original poster is looking for positive insight. You might want to make yourself feel better by making fun of other people on another thread.

Archived