Coki Beach vs. Sapphire Beach

happybunny1207

Little Britain - Havensight is 1.4 miles east of Charlotte Amalie. Its about a 17-20 minute drive to Sapphire from either. Not sure if you were asking for transportation options (rent a car, taxi and/or public transportation) or driving directions?

--Islander

MikeJennings,

Hope this helps:

Sapphire and Magens are both beautiful beaches. Magens is longer, about a mile long which makes for very nice walks along the shore from end to end or as far as you’d like and back to your spot. Sapphire is a good length beach also, but it has a rocky side that comes to a pebbly/sandy area and then a full sand area; so in consideration of just the sandy part it’s not a long beach. It you wanted to take a stroll however you can do so by walk over along the peninsula or over to the marina. You can also walk past what appears to be the end of the beach as the sandy shore continues around the corner (left side when facing the water). Magens has a very gentle slope in the water; easy for older folks that might have bad knees or trouble with stability in the water/sand. Also it’s good for small children playing on the shore. Sapphire deepens more quickly. Magens is usually very calm; some consider it lake-calm. Exception to this is when storms are passing through the area and sometimes in the winter months the water can get wavy. Sapphire usually has a gentle wave action, nothing much though – again unless there is a storm in the area churning-up the sea. Magens is usually super clear, Sapphire also usually clear. Clarity can also be affected by storms or rain. Both beaches are sandy. Along the shore at Magens the sand is pretty packed, higher on the shore toward the tree line it’s more loose and soft. Sapphire has a soft sandy shore on the sandy side; and pebbles then rocks on the other. Sapphire has resort/condo/marina developments around/near it; the area is maintained accordingly. Magens Bay is a park; there are picnic tables, restroom/changing area, concession stand with food/drink/boutique/chair rental and there are lifeguards. Behind the main road that runs parallel to the beach is the Magens Bay arboretum. Neither Magens nor Sapphire has vendors on the beach. Both places have food/drink. At Magens it’s a concession area with pizza, burgers, hot dogs and a bar. There is also beach wait staff that take and deliver drink orders. Sapphire there is a small place a short walk from the shoreline that sells burgers, fish sandwich, beer/soda a few mixed drinks and a couple other things and also beach wait staff taking food orders for the restaurant up at the condos. Taxis are available at both places. Sapphire outside the lobby, and if there isn’t a taxi there someone at the front desk can call one for you. At Magens there is a big taxi stand area; and always taxis lined up. If you are renting a car there is plenty of parking at both. Sapphire has kayaks, windsurfers, snorkeling, dive shop at the watersports booth on the beach. They can also book jet skis and parasailing which are located around the corner from the beach at the marina. Magens has non-motorized watersports; kayaks, paddle boats and small sailboats. Both have chairs for rent. Neither have umbrellas. Magens has lots of natural shade under the tree line of seagrapes and coconut palms. Sapphire has natural shade on the right side under sea grape trees, and some on the left side also but not a lot.

Magens is not known for snorkeling. It’s largely sandy bottom and there isn’t much to see along the rocky sides although you might see a few fish. Sapphire has a large area for snorkeling and diversity in what you see - there are sea grass beds on the left side (when facing the water) and there are fish in there and the possibility of seeing marine life that like sea grass such as conch, also turtles - but neither is a guarantee. On the right side there are rocky outcrops and also a large shallow rock/reef area with a lot of juvenile fish and further out deeper areas with coral, seafans and various fish. The closer snorkeling around the rocks and over sea grass beds are good for beginner adult and kids with assistance from adult. The very shallow areas should be avoided if you aren't very comfortable snorkeling and are not a very good swimmer because it is quite shallow and you need to stay floating/swimming parallel to the rocks to avoid possibly hurting yourself on the rocks and damaging coral and marine life by bumping or standing on them. You can snorkel around the ledges of the shallow area and stay in a regular depth of water; you'll see fish along the ledges and under them. You can go out toward and around the point of the peninsula, it’s very good snorkeling but it’s fairly deep and there is a current so keep that in mind.

Here is a good website about Magens Bay: http://www.magensbayauthority.com/.

--Islander

stunned - Sapphire does not have lockers. The only beaches that have locker that I know of are Magens and Coki. Carnival ships usually dock in Havensight. If you are taking public transportation (either the bus or the dollar ride) from there to Sapphire you would need to walk from the Havensight dock/shopping area toward K-mart. The bus route runs along that road that K-mart is on. There is a bus stop near K-mart, you need to be on the K-mart side of the road for heading to Sapphire. You'd get off right at the bus stop across from the Sapphire entrance and walk down to the beach.

--Islander

Islander,

Me, again. If you could indulge me just once (I thinK) more: We are arriving on the Crown Princess at 7:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 19th. We are the only cruise ship scheduled in port that day. My wife and I have been to St. Thomas twice, but the couple we are travelling with have never travelled anywhere in the Caribbean. We are primarily interested in three hours or so of lying out at the beach, and then maybe doing a little snorkeling. Possibly work in some shopping. We definitely want to show them Magen's Bay, but I know the snorkeling is not good there. Having said all that, what locations would you recommend, and what time would be the best to hit these locations assuming the weather is good on that day?

Thank you so very, very much. We have certainly enjoyed our other visits to your beautiful homeland, and are looking forward to coming next week!

Crown Princess docks at Crown Bay. If you want to get to the beach when it’s still pretty quiet then you might head to the beach first. Both Magens and Sapphire are popular with cruise ship passengers; they shouldn't be too crowded since there is only one ship but it’s always nice to see the beach when there are just a few people on it. There are showers at Magens (public park restrooms so nothing fancy) and at Sapphire there is an outdoor shower. So at both you can rinse off; bring a change of clothes so you aren't heading off in wet beachwear if you plan to do a tour or go shopping after the beach. If you go to Sapphire there is a small place there for burgers or fish sandwiches; or you can head up to the condo restaurant for a full menu. You could also head to Red Hook (short taxi ride); there are several restaurants there like Duffys (which has funky drinks like the Shark Tank - huge drink in a small fish bowl complete with plastic shark), or Caribbean Saloon, or Molly Malone’s. If you are at Magens you can eat there; they have pizza and some other things and a bar. At either beach, if your next stop is downtown for shopping and you can wait to eat you could eat downtown. If you want casual, bar/restaurant downtown you could try Greenhouse.

--Islander

Islander....

Thanks for all the information you have posted. We will be on RCCL Freedom docking Dec 3rd. I'm assuming RCCL docks at Havensight near the skyride but I might be wrong. I was planning on taking a cab to Coki for a few hours then back towards the ship for the skyride and shopping. Can you confirm if you know that is the right dock and how is Coki now? I haven't been for about 3 years, I know its a great beach but the locals can be a bit sketchy but overall every time I have gone it has been a great time.

Thanks for any information

The RCCL ships are usually at the WICO dock in Havensight. Coki is pretty much the same as 3 years ago... small beach, white sand, clear water, good snorkeling for beginniners, vendors with food, drinks, souvenirs, hair braiding... and they are right on the beach, area around the beach is a bit seedy, chairs/umbrellas available for rent from some of the vendors, dive shop on site, taxis readily available at the taxi stand, Coral World next door if you are interested.

--Islander

The Islander,

We would like to take the dollar ride to Sapphire and then to Coki beach and back. We will be docked at Havensight and then we walk to K-Mart to catch ride to Sapphire and then after snorkeling how do we get to Coki and back to Havensight? I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Stunned - I think the dollar ride makes a loop, passing Sapphire first... not 100% though. You can ask once onboard. So if it passes Sapphire first then you would get off there and then later on if you want to go to Coki you'd walk back to the road where you got off and wait for the dollar ride and go on to Coki. If the loop goes the other direction then you'd need to do Coki first and then Sapphire. For Sapphire; you'd get off at the top of the road/entrance and walk down; not a long walk but a little steep for a short distance and its in the resort grounds. For Coki you get off at the road that goes to Coki; its a bit of a seedy area; the walk is a little more than .5 miles, mostly flat. For getting back to Havensight; whichever beach you are at you'd have to walk back to the main road where you got off and wait for the dollar ride to pass.

Perky1 - there is a public bus, its called Vitran. The dollar ride operates similar to the public bus; following some parts of the public bus routes. No Walmarts in STT; its a Kmart. Dollar ride is $1 pp, ow in town and $2 cross island (Sapphire is cross island).

--Islander

• 2 weeks later...

Islander - we will be on the Caribbean Princess docking at Crown Bay. I think we'll go to Sapphire but I've also heard good things about Secret Harbor. Which one will have better snorkeling, be easier/cheaper to get to, & have facilities like washrooms or somewhere to buy drinks? Are turtles relatively common at Sapphire & would I see any at Secret Harbor? Can I catch the dollar ride to either one from Crown Bay? Also, if we wanted to do some shopping after, where would be the best place to go & the best way to get there & back to the ship? From what I understand there isn't much at Crown Bay.

Sorry to ask so many questions at once & thanks in advance for all your help, you've already helped so much with your responses to other people. You're like an ambassador or something!

-Stacey.

Sapphire and Secret Harbor both offer good 'from-shore' snorkeling. They are farily close to each other; 5-6 minute drive between the two. Crown Bay to Sapphire by taxi is around $11 pp, ow; to Secret Harbor $12 pp, ow. Both have restrooms. Sapphire has an outdoor shower for rinsing off. Secret Harbor doesn't but there is a spot for rinsing the sand off your feet. Secret Harbor has a full menu restaurant and bar by the beach. Sapphire has a small open air place that sells the basics; burgers, hot dogs, beer, water, rum punch and a couple other things. There is a restaurant at the Sapphire condos, about a 10-12 minute walk from the beach up to the condo area. There is sometimes wait staff from the restaurant down on the beach taking and delivering orders. Don't think turtles are so common at either beach to say chances are better at one or the other. You could try and catch the dollar ride to Sapphire. It passes close to the road that goes to Secret Harbor but you'd have a bit of a walk. For Sapphire it stops right at the top of Sapphire's entrance. From Crown Bay you'd have to walk to the main road that passes in front of Nisky Shopping Center, called Moravian Highway, to catch the dollar ride.

You could shop downtown, Charlotte Amalie. Or you could shop in Crown Bay; there are about 15-20 shops plus several vendors with souvenirs. If you go the dollar ride route you can use it to get back to Charlotte Amalie or back to Crown Bay. Or you can take a taxi.

--Islander

Archived