What Ruins??

mickym

I need some help choosing which ruins to visit. Due to the fact that the tours are all pretty long I want to go with the ships excursions to avoid worrying about missing the ship. My choises seem to be Tulum in Cozumel, Chacchoben or Kohunilch in Cost Maya or Altun Ha in Belize. Any clear choises here?

Thanks a bunch for any help!!

I've been to Tulum and Chacchoben... loved them both. If I had to choose one to do again, it would be Chacchoben, for a few reasons. I'll describe both as best I can remember and make a few quick points as to why I would choose Chacchoben. Cant speak of the third one you listed.

Tulum, from Cozumel, requires a lot of transportation time to get to. First a 45 minute ferry ride from Cozumel to the mainland, which can be terrible! People who don't normally have sea sickness issues got really sick on this boat. Then an hour+ bus ride to the site, not so fun when your tummy is already upset, some people we sick all day from the combination. Once there, the site is beautiful! It's right on the coast, up on a bluff... gorgeous view! The site is quite large and there are lots of structures still in tact (you can not climb them). There is also a small beach area, take a swim suit, you'll want to cool off - It's HOT here! After an hour or so to explore the site... it's another 2 hour trip back to the ship. Oh, there was a little potty stop they made along the way, if I remember correctly, the locals charged us to use the bathroom... they may not do that any longer, I don't know. Considering transportation alone eats up nearly 4 hours of your day (I think total excursion times are around 7 hours), there's not much left for anything else on the island of Cozumel if you choose this tour.

Chacchoben is in Costa Maya. Now, its been a few years since I've been to Costa Maya, but the times I have been, there wasn't much else to do there so going to see the ruins is a great option. The bus ride is shorter and you see pretty much the same scenery along the way. The site is different in that it's located in the jungle, kinda cool in my opinion. You'll walk a portion of the tour through the woods, the trees are neat. Many of these structures are more pyramid-like and you can actually climb some of them (fun for us, not so good for the preservation of the site). I don't think it was quite as hot at this site, but that might be dependent on when I went. You will have time afterwards to swim/snorkel at the beach near the pier, shop in the plaza, have something to eat, watch the dancers, etc.

I liked the trip to Chacchoben just a bit better because it was closer and didn't take up so much of my day, plus no ferry ride. Both sites will require a fair amount of walking, more so for Tulum (you have to walk quite a ways after the ferry drops you on the mainland, up to the busses). Do not attempt either one on your own, way too risky.

Maybe someone else can give you info on the tour from Belize. Good luck with your decision, hope you have a great time!

we did lamanai in belize...we thought about tulum and decided against it. lamanai is like how the other posted described Chacchoben. a living jungle, full of 'critters, the ruins are still intact. the thrill of walking through a jungle (with all of it's sounds) and seeing "ruins" standing there...you could imagine the mayans still using the site.

nothing against tulum, the area must be beautiful...the they are RUINS, falling down from years of weather abuse. with the long, long trip to get there? after seeing the photos of the weather beaten ruins at tulum, i no longer call the ruins at lamanai "ruins..now they are a mayan "site". nothing ruin about them.

if you think it's your only time (not me, i am hooked on mayan ruins after lamanai) see one that is still intact....WOW!

information on tulum

http://www.locogringo.com/past_spotlights/aug2002.html

information on chacchoben

http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ (costa maya)

information on altun ha and lamanai (belize)

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=1

if i ever do a trip/cruise that is closer to tulum, with no ferry ride..i will be glad to go. hopefully,this winter i am redoing my cruise (from last dec) and will go to costa maya...to see chacchoben

Tulum is alright, but very busy and quite commercial now. Given the transportation considerations from Cozumel to Tulum, I don't think I would do it again, even if it were on another land vacation. Given your cruise ports, I would suggest Altun Ha in Belize. Of Tulum, Coba and Altun Ha, I have to say my overall favorite is Altun Ha. :)

Thanks once again. I have read other really great sounding things about lamanai on here and that would be my choise without a doubt if our cruise ship was offering an excursion there but they don't and it sounds like it would be very risky making it back to the ship in time. I am with a group of realitives and it would be a major disaster if we all missed our ship so will settle for second best I'm afraid.

i don't think there is a 2nd best...they are all interesting and different. they are still uncovering many in belize and costa maya...you never know what's under that mound of dirt:D

many of the ones in jungles are very protected. they were harder to get to and left in a more "un" distrubed state. the ones in the open, like tulum, have suffered from hurricanes and such.

quirigua, out of santo tomas, is even more different...instead of ruins, it has stellaes....very talled carved limestones. totally different mayan area.

Thank you all so much for your help. I haven't booked yet but am leaning strongly towards The Mayan Experience Tour in Costa Maya. It sounds really interesting with the visit to the Mayan village and Mayan meal.

Archived